PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit/ 6 Disc Changer Problems

M.Wenzel
08-17-2005, 09:41 PM
This weekend i was driving to a concert about three hours away (Jack Johnson if any of you like him) and while trying to change cd's via the buttons on the stock head unit (i.e. playing cd #1 want to change to cd #3 so i pressed #3) the head unit froze the display on "1 Disc" and "Disc Error". I tried several times to change the cd via the head unit which was unsuccessful so i'm stuck listening to the FM radio. Also, the rear 6 Disc Changer wont eject :( . If any one has had this problem before please let me know. It's going into the shop to see what the problem could be tomorrow at nine but why bother if you guys might help.
Thanks,
Micah

SRR2
08-17-2005, 09:54 PM
If it's wired the same way the one I installed in my '89 was, the changer has a direct fused connection to the battery. While I haven't personally encountered the problem you reported, I do recall reading that a power cycle has a pretty good chance of clearing it. However, you'll need to do some wiring detective work to accomplish that, unless you just decide to disconnect the battery. If I were trying to deal with this, I'd probably just pull the ground off the battery for a long ten-count and see what happens.

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 10:01 PM
sounds like it jammed...sorta common for a freak incident. What most do is remove the outer case and unjam it and hook it up to discharge the magazine. Hope for the best, inspect the magazine and maybe lubricate the mechanical parts and it might work flawlessly for another 150k or so. Dust can eventually dry out and mess up the lube on the moving parts after a while.

Good luck bro.

Dan in NZ
08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Happens every now and then with my cd changer (came from a 1995 bmw). You can slide a credit card under the magazine, and it pops out. Sometimes it puts two cds in one slot, or one is jammed in the player.

If it has one cd jammed in the player, take all the cds out of the magazine, then reinsert it. Push the magazine in, then eject it with the button a few times, and it will work fine.

Also pushing the eject button a couple of times after you have manually ejected the cartridge helps clear 'disc error' sometimes.

pyro
08-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Mine just says disk error and i tried resetting it... so i took it out and moved all of the gears and oiled them up so it is easy for the motor to switch disk's. and i removed all of the disks very carefully. then i put it back in the car and put the full cassette back in and all it did was suck up the #3 disk and shove it back in 6 times. so I'm debating if anyone knows if this is a common problem or i should just buy a new one. I would prefer to fix this one but if not its ether new disk changer or make a ipod adapter.
--

Dan in NZ
08-21-2005, 05:23 AM
Try putting the empty cassette in, and letting it think about that for a bit. When I was trying to fix mine, another guy said he took six discs out then put the empty cassette in, and got another cd back! I had seven in there! With an empty cassette it might just... Fix itself.

When I get the disc error, I just try a few different things and eventually it sorts itself out.

pyro
08-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Is it just me or does it sound realy dumb?

rickm
08-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Is it just me or does it sound realy dumb?

Does what sound really dumb? I had a CD stick in my changer once, it gave me a disc error. Emptied the mag, put it in, cycled through them and the one that was stuck in the player popped out. Odd things happen.

Dan in NZ
08-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Don't question it.... Just do it!

pyro
08-21-2005, 09:44 PM
no the cd changer sounds dumb like its not smart

McWatters
08-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Jack Johnson = amazing, deffinately a close match to Ben Harper

J.McWatters

rickm
08-22-2005, 03:34 AM
If you like JJ catch Xavier Rudd or the John Butler Trio. I saw XR a few weeks ago, he's amazing.