PDA

View Full Version : Can an ugly rear spoiler be removed?

Jay 535i
08-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I really don't like the rear spoiler on my car. Is it most likely bolted onto the decklid? It's hard for me to tell by looking if the bolts go right through, or if they're just clamping the thing on. I don't want to mess with it if the decklid's already ruined.

What'd be the best way to replace the decklid?

Kalevera
08-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Post a pic so we can see if it's OE or some horrendous aftermarket thing.

The OE has four bolts through it. Replacing the entire trunk lid is a lot of work; just use filler on the holes and get it painted.

best, whit

Jay 535i
08-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Post a pic so we can see if it's OE or some horrendous aftermarket thing.

The OE has four bolts through it. Replacing the entire trunk lid is a lot of work; just use filler on the holes and get it painted.

best, whit

It's not OE, I don't think, but I'll take a pic. It says Hella on the underside. It's hella-ugly.

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 08:49 PM
LOL....chainsaw and bondo? Chances are its bolted, you should be able to see the bolts as you open the trunk.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-17-2005, 09:15 PM
On the trunk lid to see if it's bolted down.

You may want to start surfing for a new lid

Robin-535im
08-18-2005, 08:41 AM
On the trunk lid to see if it's bolted down.

You may want to start surfing for a new lid

Probably it is bolted, mine is. $500 to refinish a body panel minus $50 you get for it on Ebay... hence why I haven't removed mine yet!

Jay 535i
08-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Should I maybe try some local scrapyard to see if they've got a black decklid to swap?

JoeS
08-18-2005, 08:20 PM
I have a spare trunk lid in my shed.

Should I maybe try some local scrapyard to see if they've got a black decklid to swap?

Gayle
08-18-2005, 11:42 PM
This sounds like a job for Charles' sledgehammer.

Paul in NZ
08-19-2005, 06:22 AM
dont forget about the pesky wring.......

Jay 535i
08-19-2005, 03:59 PM
I have a spare trunk lid in my shed.

I'm in Toronto.

Is it black? I don't want to get into the hassle and cost of painting. This isn't urgent, and my money's being spend elsewhere at the moment.

Is the wiring a real nightmare? I figure, how hard can a straight swap be? (famous last words)

Paul in NZ
08-19-2005, 05:33 PM
There is the wire that runs up the trunk hinge.you will have to remove the insulation etc and disconnect the wire from the lock etc,hopefully there is a connector!

Jay 535i
08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
There is the wire that runs up the trunk hinge.you will have to remove the insulation etc and disconnect the wire from the lock etc,hopefully there is a connector!

If not, should just be a bit of soldering required, I would think.

Kalevera
08-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Jay, let me reiterate that I think it's a better idea to just unbolt the thing and fill the holes with some body mud, then spot paint the area. It won't be perfect, but changing out the trunk lid is...I have to say...kind of ridiculous...especially if it's fine otherwise.

best, whit

Jay 535i
08-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Jay, let me reiterate that I think it's a better idea to just unbolt the thing and fill the holes with some body mud, then spot paint the area. It won't be perfect, but changing out the trunk lid is...I have to say...kind of ridiculous...especially if it's fine otherwise.

best, whit

lol, okay, thanks for being honest.

I dislike the spoiler, but I'm not sure I dislike it more than filler. That's the crux of my dilemma :)

dacoyote
08-19-2005, 09:00 PM
This sounds like a job for Charles' sledgehammer.

I got a 25 pounder here today just holding down the floor.

-Charles

Gayle
08-19-2005, 10:32 PM
I got a 25 pounder here today just holding down the floor.

-Charles

Check the garage pic I posted today. You win.

Kalevera
08-19-2005, 11:28 PM
lol, okay, thanks for being honest.

I dislike the spoiler, but I'm not sure I dislike it more than filler. That's the crux of my dilemma :)
Shucks...the same thing keeps me awake at night, too, man! We should start a support group.

The thing is...I don't know how particular you are about paint, but buying someone else's trunk lid will usually mean it won't match. Personally, that means little to me. But, if paint matching were an issue, filling the holes (and they're really quite small if it's the OE thing) and having it done by a shop would probably be a $100 affair and things would look much better.

I mean....do what you want to do...Changing out the trunk lid isn't that big of a job (an hour or two, if that), but it is more of a job than filling the holes.

Just some food for thought :)

best, whit

Jay 535i
08-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Shucks...the same thing keeps me awake at night, too, man! We should start a support group.

The thing is...I don't know how particular you are about paint, but buying someone else's trunk lid will usually mean it won't match. Personally, that means little to me. But, if paint matching were an issue, filling the holes (and they're really quite small if it's the OE thing) and having it done by a shop would probably be a $100 affair and things would look much better.

I mean....do what you want to do...Changing out the trunk lid isn't that big of a job (an hour or two, if that), but it is more of a job than filling the holes.

Just some food for thought :)

best, whit

I appreciate that. Thanks.

I'm gonna slap on some new wheels and Sachs suspension, then revisit the issue. Maybe with the new look the spoiler won't seem so ugly. Then, if I have to, I'll look into having the holes filled and painted, as you suggest.