PDA

View Full Version : 89 535i, clutch goes down with no resistance

santaliqueur
08-17-2005, 07:55 PM
hey all, i'm usually reading in here, but i have a problem, and i needed to register and ask a question. i have an 89 535i, and a problem with the clutch. bear with me, i'm not very automotively-inclined. i wont be doing the work myself, unless it is a pretty easy fix. which i doubt it will be.

my clutch goes all the way to the floor with no resistance, apart from the normal spring resistance it usually has. but there is nothing else. as soon as i step on it beyond halfway or so, it gets sucked to the floor. i obviously cannot change gears like this. if the car is off, i can switch from gear to gear no problem. when i get under the car, there is a small oil leak, and i cannot determine where it is coming from. i can see where it is dripping from, but i cant tell where the source is. i found (i think) the reservoir where the fluid in question is stored, and it is full. it appears to be brake fluid, but i cant be sure.

a little backstory---the night before this happened, i was backing into a parking space at a friend's apt, and someone yelled my name, i got startled, let go of the clutch abruptly for some reason, and it stalled. it was in the parking spot, so i left it. we went back out and the clutch was all the way to the floor. confused, i got out and pulled it back up with my hand. it operated normally for the rest of the night, including the ~40 mile ride home.

the next day, it drove fine to work, about a half mile away. during my lunch break, i went to get some food, and noticed the clutch was catching less than an inch from the floor, which concerned me. stopped at a busy intersection, i stepped on the clutch to shift into 1st and go, but the clutch never came back up, and has been like that ever since. i had it towed, and is in my driveway now.

i'm not sure what is wrong, but if you guys can help me identify the problem, i'd be most gracious. thanks!

CJ

Martin in Bellevue
08-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Look at the clutch hydraulics; the master cylinder at the firewall & the slave cylinder bolted to the port side of gearbox. I replaced these, the line between them, and the line from the brake reservoir to the master cylinder before this could happened. The hydraulics act to move the clutch pivot arm, releasing the clutch.