PDA

View Full Version : Sever rust on rotors

Anton CH.
08-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Hello,
I have some rotors here lying around with severe rust on them. I would like to install them as they have significant amount of metal left. Now the question is can I just install them and let the pads take care of the rust (drive very very easy for a while) or would filing it or turning them work? I'd rather just install them if its not going to cause too much trouble.

stx133
08-17-2005, 12:53 AM
The propper way is to Machine the disks, Turn them on a laithe, give them a freshen up. if you are trying to do it on the cheap (read nasty) give them a rub with a shotch brite kitchen scourer, not the metal ones. use your old pads for the first couple of hundread k's then replace the pads.

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 03:11 AM
or sand them with a DA sander. Machining them could cause them to be too thin.

brodee
08-17-2005, 06:43 AM
It's like $8 to get them turned, don't skimp on your brakes. Take them somewhere and have it done right.

Rick L
08-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Does your rotor look like this? If so I think it's a good idea to turn them before you install them... ;)

Porsche 928 S4 Rotor
http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Rusted_Rotor.JPG

Hello,
I have some rotors here lying around with severe rust on them. I would like to install them as they have significant amount of metal left. Now the question is can I just install them and let the pads take care of the rust (drive very very easy for a while) or would filing it or turning them work? I'd rather just install them if its not going to cause too much trouble.

Anton CH.
08-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Does your rotor look like this? If so I think it's a good idea to turn them before you install them... ;)

Porsche 928 S4 Rotor
http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Rusted_Rotor.JPG

No, this is what I mean by sever rust problem:

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 08:51 PM
eeek.... have the shop mike them before turning em, these rotors cant take much of a skim before they are trash because they are surface hardened and once they are cut the become soft and not really up to BMW specs (or any one elses for that matter). You might be able to bed them and get them blued again after cutting them but Im not sure if that counts.

Anton CH.
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Mike them?

I was thinking of using a little PB blaster to dissolve some of the rust film.

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 10:29 PM
you could also drag them down the street to clean them off.

SharkmanBMW
08-17-2005, 10:31 PM
I would not want to feel the shimmy with rotors like that!
Turn them or forget it!

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 10:34 PM
at what 35 bux each why mess with it? 35-8 for turning makes it a balance of 26 bux if the turning makes them non useable. If money is no object then why even bother with them? If you spend the 8 bux to turn and need new you have 43 to spend plus new pads.

Anton CH.
08-17-2005, 10:35 PM
I am already looking forward to shimmy with these rotors! I guess I'll head down tomorrow to the store and have them turned. They look like they have been sitting outside for past two years.

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 10:38 PM
theres another trick to storing rotors, never on the side..must be laid flat on something comparable to cardboard, not wood not metal and not grass in a leaky shed or they warp which means they will be way out of balance as the cutters true them.