PDA

View Full Version : Ever see this?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Went to turn on the head lights as i was driving into a tunnel, and the guage cluster went dead and only both turn signal indicators glowed steady.

This lasted a few scary seconds, then everything came alive.

What could be going on ?

DanH
08-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Have you checked the LKM?

Also could be dying battery or alternator, bad gauge capacitors, or a combination of those.

DanH
08-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Add this to the list... It could be a poor/loose ground connections.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Lights all work fine, no flickering low beams..so I not sure about the LKM failing.

Battery is less than a year old.

Alternator seems to be charging, and the car runs all night without draining the battery.

Maybe a relay?

BigKriss
08-17-2005, 02:00 AM
check the lkm anyway. its very quick and easy to inspect.

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 03:16 AM
I tend to agree with the relay theory, makes the most sence with them symptoms...maybe just a fluke.

shogun
08-17-2005, 03:20 AM
check the lkm anyway. its very quick and easy to inspect.

Can you please tell me how?? I mean inspect. Test for sure.

There are too many people here on the board which are change-ingeniers, but not engineers.

ukm5
08-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Can you please tell me how?? I mean inspect. Test for sure.

There are too many people here on the board which are change-ingeniers, but not engineers.

I agree, the slightest mention of anything regards light issues and they ignore the other related problems and say ITS THE LKM!!

id go with a short somewhere

Paul in NZ
08-17-2005, 04:38 AM
shogun the lkm can have intermittent failure as you know.I had failure of my low beam only a couple of times.I took my car to the local auto electrician with Brunos write up.He said he could not replicate the low beam failure,and remelted the solder anyway.I have not a had a problem since.......

ukm5
08-17-2005, 04:44 AM
shogun the lkm can have intermittent failure as you know.I had failure of my low beam only a couple of times.I took my car to the local auto electrician with Brunos write up.He said he could not replicate the low beam failure,and remelted the solder anyway.I have not a had a problem since.......

this is a good example of ignoring the facts and giving a reply...yes the LKM can have issues but you are ignoring the fact that the turn indicators glowed slightly...the turn indicators dont go through the LKM

Paul in NZ
08-17-2005, 04:55 AM
this is a good example of ignoring the facts and giving a reply...yes the LKM can have issues but you are ignoring the fact that the turn indicators glowed slightly...the turn indicators dont go through the LKM

are you sure MR negative......dont the US cars have the indicators as the "parking" lights.Are they controlled via LKM?.Coundnt the short be within the LKM?

His question was rather general...what COULD be going on?

ukm5
08-17-2005, 04:56 AM
not one of those has anything to do with it

the turn indicators dont go through the LKM
the capactitors in the cluster have no link with the turn indicator bulbs
and if it was a dying battery/alternator why would the turn indicators both glow when they were not turned on?

zuzuk212
08-17-2005, 10:48 AM
and if it was a dying battery/alternator why would the turn indicators both glow when they were not turned on?

A friend of mine had a similar problem ... check engine and other lights slowly started to light up on the dash... he just made it to a garage ... dead alt and almost dead bat. so strange things do happen when power starts dying.

Ken

Beemr750
08-17-2005, 01:58 PM
I think either a ground or fuse/current limiter connection issue.

ukm5
08-17-2005, 06:31 PM
whats a current limiter connection issue??

mattyb
08-19-2005, 07:51 AM
light speed! or warp 9