PDA

View Full Version : AHHh Seat from hell!!! Problems

InfernoM3
08-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Ok my car had the twisted seat syndrome so I decided I would fix it. since everyone said its an easy DIY? Followed the instructions at
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_11.htm

Can't seem to get the stupid cable off? I first tried w/ the seat on and the motor bolts are damn hard to get near w/ a socket wrench. Then I removed the rear seat bolts and still had problems? Finally gave up since it was mid nite 3 hrs later. Anyway I ahve work in the morning and tried to put the seat back. Now the seats twisted even more and I can't seem to get my seat back onto the hooks and align the seat bolts back? IS there an trick to get them on? I was gonna take it to the INDY if i could get my seat on? Damn might have to call in sick tomorrow. Any somoene please help me get my seat on. Thanks. Sorry its late at nite and I"m panicking.

uscharalph
08-16-2005, 01:25 AM
I remember having a little trouble with the hooks, but not that much.

InfernoM3
08-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I remember having a little trouble with the hooks, but not that much.
Ok took a sick day? Doh? Got some wrenches and was able to fix the seat back problem? took me an hour though to get those metal caps off they were stuck in there. Still haven't been able to get my seat back on? They just won't catch on the front hooks no matter what I tried. I been trying to angle it and nothing?

uscharalph
08-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Ok took a sick day? Doh? Got some wrenches and was able to fix the seat back problem? took me an hour though to get those metal caps off they were stuck in there. Still haven't been able to get my seat back on? They just won't catch on the front hooks no matter what I tried. I been trying to angle it and nothing?
1st of all I'm assuming it's the driver's seat. I seem to remember the left (Towards the driver's door) was easy to get on the hook and I had trouble with the right hook. So I got the left hook in and the right as close as I could. Then I started one of the back star bolts. I then got a hammer and tapped the seat at the right hook. I hope this makes a little sense.

632 Regal
08-16-2005, 12:15 PM
make sure the bottom rails are flat, with a twisted seat the rails will tweak up or down. I layed my seat flat on the garage floor to make sure it wasnt twisted and the rails were straight...went right back in after that.

InfernoM3
08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
make sure the bottom rails are flat, with a twisted seat the rails will tweak up or down. I layed my seat flat on the garage floor to make sure it wasnt twisted and the rails were straight...went right back in after that.
Ok i'll try that. Yah I seem to have a problem catching to front lock closet to the center console. I'll also try to hammer it in.

InfernoM3
08-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Ok i'll try that. Yah I seem to have a problem catching to front lock closet to the center console. I'll also try to hammer it in.
What position does the seat have to be in to get in on the hooks? All the way back and up w/ the seatback angled forward???

uscharalph
08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Also, make sure you've got it exactly as you want it before putting it back in. When I did mine, I got it to where I thought it was even, but I need to move the right side back about a half an inch. Not that big a deal, but I still haven't got around to it.

632 Regal
08-16-2005, 01:15 PM
yes, lift the back of the seat up...might have to move the seat position back and higher to get the right angle.

InfernoM3
08-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Ok I think i found the problem. you were right the rails aren't straight. the seatback is good now. how do i adjust the seat rails so they sit flat? I tilts slightly to one side thats one it won't catch.

632 Regal
08-16-2005, 03:53 PM
the only way to fix the rails AND have no twist is to untwist the seat, sounds like your closer but still have something off a few turns of the cable.

uscharalph
08-16-2005, 04:00 PM
the only way to fix the rails AND have no twist is to untwist the seat, sounds like your closer but still have something off a few turns of the cable.
Not so. The rails just kind of hinge independantly. If it's not a problem do as Jeff said and place the seat on a flat floor to even the rails. I evened the rails without taking the seats out of the car by just manuvering them.

InfernoM3
08-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Not so. The rails just kind of hinge independantly. If it's not a problem do as Jeff said and place the seat on a flat floor to even the rails. I evened the rails without taking the seats out of the car by just manuvering them.
You mean I can manually align the rails. I took them out of the car 3 times after fidgeting w/ the seat motor and trying to twist it back into position but no luck? How did you manuever them straight? I've been playing w/ the motor for a good 1 hr. trying diffferent stuff. I even bolted on corner and tried to twist the seatback again but onlly using one side of motor. Still no luck? I'm all out of ideas. Can I just take the seat out and put on garage floor and bounce on the seat to flatten the bottom or are the rails only movable by motor?

uscharalph
08-16-2005, 04:34 PM
You mean I can manually align the rails. I took them out of the car 3 times after fidgeting w/ the seat motor and trying to twist it back into position but no luck? How did you manuever them straight? I've been playing w/ the motor for a good 1 hr. trying diffferent stuff. I even bolted on corner and tried to twist the seatback again but onlly using one side of motor. Still no luck? I'm all out of ideas. Can I just take the seat out and put on garage floor and bounce on the seat to flatten the bottom or are the rails only movable by motor?
I seemed to remember that the rail move a bit without the help of the motor. Are you trying to move them with the help of the motor? You should be able to fletten them out on the garage floor. Where in L.A. are you? If it's not too far from me I'll come by after work today.

InfernoM3
08-16-2005, 04:47 PM
I seemed to remember that the rail move a bit without the help of the motor. Are you trying to move them with the help of the motor? You should be able to fletten them out on the garage floor. Where in L.A. are you? If it's not too far from me I'll come by after work today.
Hey I'm in Torrance off the 110 s. and carson. About 10 miles south of the airport. Yah if you could help me out that would be great. I can buy some beer or something. This thing is driving me crazy. In the meanwhile I can try to take it out on more time. i'll PM you my phone number.

thanks

Kalevera
08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Not that I have anything productive to add to this, but what the heck...

As others have said -- seat rails and hooks can get bent. With the hooks, take a hammer to it. If the rail is bent...

I've only seen them splayed inward at the *rear* of the seat, not the front. The method should still work. I got a hydraulic splitter bar on it (or whatever you call it -- a body shop tool used to separate things...basically a pole jack). It was a bit overkill for what needed to be done, but it pushed the rails out just enough so that I could seat the torx bolts.

How much pressure was exerted on the seat during removal that the rails got bent!? Someone must've been kicking away at it.

best, whit

uscharalph
08-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey I'm in Torrance off the 110 s. and carson. About 10 miles south of the airport. Yah if you could help me out that would be great. I can buy some beer or something. This thing is driving me crazy. In the meanwhile I can try to take it out on more time. i'll PM you my phone number.

thanks
It was good to meet you Scott. That wasn't too bad. I'm glad we got it done. See you around.

InfernoM3
08-17-2005, 12:03 AM
It was good to meet you Scott. That wasn't too bad. I'm glad we got it done. See you around.
Yah i was nice meeting you. Thanks for the help! Its good to know that there are some people on the board that would go out of there way the help. So me and Ralph go it fixed. The hooks aren't completely in but its good enough. Had to pound them rails in w/ a hammer.