PDA

View Full Version : Replacing upper control arms at load

Reuben Lim
08-15-2005, 06:35 PM
I need help, do not know what previous posts on replacing control arms, etc at load. Just had my upper control arms and stabilizer linkages replaced, asked my indie mechanic (very experienced) if he did it at load as what has been advised, and he looked at me like I was bananas. He said he replaced them while car was up on the crocodiles, it would have been impossible to do otherwise. Had these replaced because of bad shimmie at 40-60 mph, which happened after I had lower control arm bushings changed. Before this, had steering pump replaced. The thunk whenever I would turn near max or over a pothole or bump also hasnt gone away. There was also this annoying sqeaking sound like what you hear on an unoiled playground swing, that I would hear when my 525ia M20 was going really slow, even on smooth road. Should I just go to the dealer and have these redone. The parts aint cheap and don't want to have replaced them for nothing.

Kalevera
08-15-2005, 06:54 PM
"under load" means that the bushing side of the arm, which has a bolt through it where the inner metal cylinder meets the subframe, is tightened with the full weight of the car on the suspension. There are two ways to do this: put the car on the ground and then tighten the bolt or, with the car in the air, put a T stand under the steering plate and raise the corner of the car to what normal ride height should be.

The bushings have to be set under load because they are ride height specific -- if they're torqued with the wheels dangling, there will be little upward movement and the car will have an unpleasant ride, not to mention wear the bushings out very quickly.

best, whit

Reuben Lim
08-15-2005, 07:15 PM
and have them redo this. Cheers!

Kalevera
08-15-2005, 07:17 PM
:d

632 Regal
08-15-2005, 08:00 PM
HA! D didnt work.

If you try this yourself to double check drive the car up on ramps and loosen/tighten the bushing side of the thrust arms.

Kalevera
08-15-2005, 08:29 PM
HA! D didnt work.

If you try this yourself to double check drive the car up on ramps and loosen/tighten the bushing side of the thrust arms.
I know....what the heck....FIX IT, jeff! :)