PDA

View Full Version : Headliner - Best course of action?

Adnan
08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I have a case of the sags, well, my car does. I've searched through the archives but didn't see a clear-cut solution.

The headliner is sagging in certain areas, particularly towards the rear. The fabric itself looks very good, with no stains or tears. Can it be repaired without replacing the entire fabric? I'm hoping that there is a way to peel back the loose part, spray some adhesive on it and tack it back in place. That would be so much easier than taking it all off and replacing.

If that's not an option, what is the next best course of action?

Thanks, as usual, for your help.

Regards,
Adnan

BobHarris
08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I seem to recall someone talking about this before.

I think it was Shogun.

Do a search through his posts or his site.

HTH

Bob

motuman
08-15-2005, 01:13 PM
It's very difficult, if not impossible to repair/reglue an aging, sagging headliner because the foam backing dissintegrates into a powdery, messy, gunky, pile of sh*%#!

Here are some sample replacement instructions;

http://headlinerkit.com/bmw/index.shtml

Adnan
08-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the information, guys. Where is the best place to buy the right thickness of material?

Regards,
Adnan

Kalevera
08-15-2005, 06:03 PM
It's very difficult, if not impossible to repair/reglue an aging, sagging headliner because the foam backing dissintegrates into a powdery, messy, gunky, pile of sh*%#!

Here are some sample replacement instructions;

http://headlinerkit.com/bmw/index.shtml
Exactly.

Don McAdams
08-15-2005, 07:19 PM
http://headlinerkit.com/bmw/index.shtml[/url]

Has anyone ordered from WLS? If so, do they sell the correct thickness liner w/ foam attached? I have Pergament interior, what color would be the closest match?- code 1771 as shown in their pic? (the colors are difficult to determine on their website..... :( ) Any idea of how much material to order- I have a NON-sunroof car....

I am at the point where mine needs to be done ASAP. It is sagging & looks like total hell (I can't believe I've let it go thus far..... :( )

Any tips on where to order the *exact* needed material for the job would be great.

http://members.aol.com/e30m3therealm3/e34park.jpg
Thanks!
Don

Jr ///M5
08-15-2005, 07:33 PM
The WLS material is the thicker foam type, maybe 1/4", not the original material. It has that "funny" kind of feel to it, like nylon snagging on rough hands. It's not a cloth like material, but more like a nylon foam, if that makes any sense.
At the Chicago meet, I did see the headliner in a Euro M5 done in Alcantera, it was sweet, I believe it was John's car. It was a black color. Very nice indeed, maybe that's a possibility for you Don?
BTW, good to see you post! Hope everything is going good for you. How's that pretty little red car of mine??? =)

Jr

Don McAdams
08-15-2005, 07:46 PM
The WLS material is the thicker foam type, maybe 1/4", not the original material. It has that "funny" kind of feel to it, like nylon snagging on rough hands. It's not a cloth like material, but more like a nylon foam, if that makes any sense.
At the Chicago meet, I did see the headliner in a Euro M5 done in Alcantera, it was sweet, I believe it was John's car. It was a black color. Very nice indeed, maybe that's a possibility for you Don?
BTW, good to see you post! Hope everything is going good for you. How's that pretty little red car of mine??? =)

Jr

Hi Jr! Alcantara would be perfect, just not sure where to order it from! That was actually my first choice- The WLS material did look like it had a texture to it, funny you mention that!

I do "lurk" a lot on the board a lot :) Just not posting as much- I started my own business at home & watch my 2 little boys during the day, etc. (keeps me very busy :) )

Little Red is doing great :)!! Back to being a garage queen now that the house is done! Nice hearing from you Jr-

http://members.aol.com/e30m3therealm3/fhm3.jpg

Take Care-
Don

MTechnik540i
08-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Hi Jr! Alcantara would be perfect, just not sure where to order it from! That was actually my first choice- The WLS material did look like it had a texture to it, funny you mention that!

I do "lurk" a lot on the board a lot :) Just not posting as much- I started my own business at home & watch my 2 little boys during the day, etc. (keeps me very busy :) )

Little Red is doing great :)!! Back to being a garage queen now that the house is done! Nice hearing from you Jr-

http://members.aol.com/e30m3therealm3/fhm3.jpg

Take Care-
Don

Make sure you have someone skilled to do Alcantara...as it doesn't stretch like the OE fabric. Leaving folds, etc. if not done correctly.

imnprsd
08-16-2005, 03:25 AM
I also have a headliner problem, but I found that spraying contact cement on the underside can soak the liner and discolor it. This is not good so I hope someone has a better solution... Or maybe I used the wrong contact cement??? Just yesterday someone said that Kragen's/Checker Auto has a headliner goo for sale, but I have not checked that out.

shogun
08-16-2005, 07:34 PM
You cannot repair a hanging headliner. The problem is the foam underneath which gets old. I have done already several headliners on E32 750iL and last weekend on a 750iL Highline.
I import the material from Germany with 3 mm foam inside for the headliner, the material for A/B/C pillars does not have foam, that is a different number.
The WLS headfliner is too thick. Normal is 3.2 mm and WLS material fas 6.4 mm as far as I understand. That makes it difficult at the corners and especially when you have a sunroof.
Detailed instructions on how to do is on my website below, written and a lot of pics.

shogun
08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
If you tell me, technically, how to solve that. then tell me now
http://members.roadfly.org/hairwithit/10%20E32-750iL-real%20messy

And: you need years of experience. Makers of headliners changed as well as the glue makers.
I found wet surfaces, completely dry ones. Amd also mixed.

632 Regal
08-17-2005, 10:27 PM
pretty foam, should have run with it

:D

Badkrma
09-16-2005, 07:20 AM
I just fixed mine. Pulled it down from the back side, and used a 3m spray glue. Did this by reaching my hand in there and coating both sides with this glue. It has been 30 days now and is not coming apart.

uscharalph
09-16-2005, 08:23 AM
I just fixed mine. Pulled it down from the back side, and used a 3m spray glue. Did this by reaching my hand in there and coating both sides with this glue. It has been 30 days now and is not coming apart.
Did it stain at all? What color is your healiner?

Badkrma
09-17-2005, 06:08 AM
It didn't stain at all. It is thte tan. I just untucked it from the back window and made a bigger sag then sprayed....... I will get the product name (something like 3M super adhesive spray), I picked it up at the hardware store. I think the old can is out in the garage.

brodee
09-17-2005, 06:30 AM
I did the same thing on my M3. I pulled it loose at the sunroof and sprayed some 3m adhesive in there and pressed it all back up. It held perfect for the 2 years I owned the car.

Of course I'm sure I'll get flamed by a couple of people on this board for not doing it the "proper" way.

uscharalph
09-17-2005, 06:43 AM
I did the same thing on my M3. I pulled it loose at the sunroof and sprayed some 3m adhesive in there and pressed it all back up. It held perfect for the 2 years I owned the car.

Of course I'm sure I'll get flamed by a couple of people on this board for not doing it the "proper" way.
Hey if it worked and didn't get worse or stain, I'm for it!

uscharalph
09-17-2005, 06:44 AM
It didn't stain at all. It is thte tan. I just untucked it from the back window and made a bigger sag then sprayed....... I will get the product name (something like 3M super adhesive spray), I picked it up at the hardware store. I think the old can is out in the garage.
Cool!

Badkrma
09-17-2005, 07:15 AM
It is 3M Hi-Strenght 90 spray ashesive. It shows a hand putting the top on a counter top. I tried the headliner spray from the auto parts store before that it it would only last a day. I don't remember if there was a slight discolor to start with (while wet) or not, but I sure there was.

uscharalph
09-17-2005, 12:13 PM
It is 3M Hi-Strenght 90 spray ashesive. It shows a hand putting the top on a counter top. I tried the headliner spray from the auto parts store before that it it would only last a day. I don't remember if there was a slight discolor to start with (while wet) or not, but I sure there was.
Thanks!

Randell
09-17-2005, 08:25 PM

oh thanks for that, i haven't been able to use the 'vent' on the sunroof for a year, since the first section of fabric just decided it didn't want to be sticky anymore... not bad enough to do the whole lot, so i'll try some of this 3M stuff ASAP

it's starting to sag a tiny bit around the sun visors though.. i'm only delaying the inevitable! but it could be worse, one of my friends has an E36 and the headliner is sagging so bad it covers the top of my head! terrible, how could bmw make such an epic stuffup