PDA

View Full Version : Best Chip out there, whats ur opinion?

McWatters
08-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Hey there im thinkin about buying a chip for my 89 535i.

any ideas ??? ive seen alot of people sporting the JC ship.

however there could be many i am unaware of

whats your opinion?

cheers
J.McWatters
Barrie ON Canada (just above Toronto)
1989 535i

nyc525iTe34
08-15-2005, 07:33 AM
I am also interested in reading a discussion debating the pros/cons of performance chips. I have heard that the EAT CHIP and the DINAN CHIP are two possible performance chip upgrades. I have not heard much about the pros and cons of each or if there are alternative chips to these. I am aware that this forum provides a direct link to purchase the EAT CHIP and that Mark D'Sylva (maker and seller of the EAT CHIP) frequents this forum and sometimes offers discounts for group buys.

I do have some questions about the performance chips before I go ahead and purchase it. If we're lucky Mark or somoene else just as knowledgeable will read this thread and answer our questions.

1. Where is improved performance felt most? (at what RPM, at what speeds, etc.)
2. How does the chip affect torque, if any. Any way to compensate for this?
3. What is the average HP gained?
4. Does this provide better fuel consumption?
5. Do we have to use higher octane?
6. Do we have to reset anything (that is affected/controlled by the DME)?
7. Why EAT over other chips (Dinan, etc.)?
8. Will this chip affect emissions and State inspection tests?
9. How long does someone have to drive with the chip installed before any real difference is felt?
10. What type of driver tends to benefit most?
11. Can the chip improve the performance of a Touring Edition?
12. What price can be offered for group buy?

emw525E34
08-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Call Mark D!. Mr McW needs the EAT chip!. Feed 'em please.

Qsilver7
08-15-2005, 08:47 AM
here's a link to info about the JC (Jim Conforti chip)...most of the info can be extrapolated to the EAT chip as well.

Yes, you will need to use fuel w/91 AKI rating. You can see on the chart where you will "feel" the peak HP & torque. (take into consideration that this web page may have been intiated before the EAT chip was available).

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/conforti-performance-chips.htm

Here's some info I found by going to Google and typing "Mark Dysilva EAT chip"...there were more links to discussions outside of bimmer.info forums that you may find interesting and illuminating: :D

* http://www.bavariantuning.com/eat_chip_test.php

gtopaul
08-20-2005, 08:59 AM
9. How long does someone have to drive with the chip installed before any real difference is felt?

I just bought one of those "performance" chips off ebay for $25. I thought for that much money why not give it a shot. Got it installed in my spare ECU and put it in the Touring and was pleasantly suprised. Smoother at idle and certainly more power/torque than stock. I run super anyway so that's not an issue. I use a Conforti chip in my 540i and I think the changes were about the same except I don't get a fuel smell on cold startup like with the Conforti chip. The idle is slightly lower at the moment with the new chip but I intend to drive it a few days before final judgement since I think the ECU is adaptive to some degree and the idle level might change. So far it's a good $25 investment.

Paul

tim s
08-20-2005, 10:42 AM
i have a dinan in my 1987 325e & it was an obvious difference, but i installed an EAT in my 95 540i/a & it made a slight difference, the engine feels smoother.
my nephew bought a dinan for his 1995 m3 & had problems with it dinoing less power at the wheels than with a stock chip. dinan told him it was his after market exhaust system. he ended up paying a pro tuner $650.00 to custom tune a chip to his car & gained a whole 7hp over the stock chip.
yes i think he's nuts also.
tim s.

Russell
08-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Buy the EAT chip. It is the best improvement I have seen in my car. Helps all aspect of daily driving. smoother, peppier on low end and gas mileage is at least the same as before.

i have a dinan in my 1987 325e & it was an obvious difference, but i installed an EAT in my 95 540i/a & it made a slight difference, the engine feels smoother.
my nephew bought a dinan for his 1995 m3 & had problems with it dinoing less power at the wheels than with a stock chip. dinan told him it was his after market exhaust system. he ended up paying a pro tuner $650.00 to custom tune a chip to his car & gained a whole 7hp over the stock chip.
yes i think he's nuts also.
tim s.

Qube
08-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I just bought one of those "performance" chips off ebay for $25. I thought for that much money why not give it a shot. Got it installed in my spare ECU and put it in the Touring and was pleasantly suprised. Smoother at idle and certainly more power/torque than stock. I run super anyway so that's not an issue. I use a Conforti chip in my 540i and I think the changes were about the same except I don't get a fuel smell on cold startup like with the Conforti chip. The idle is slightly lower at the moment with the new chip but I intend to drive it a few days before final judgement since I think the ECU is adaptive to some degree and the idle level might change. So far it's a good $25 investment.

Paul

$25 bucks? What kind of knockoff are we talking about here? Heh.

gtopaul
08-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Doesn't really matter but after purchasing all the brand name chips over the years inluding TMS. Bavauto, Conforti, Dinan, and UUC Motorwerks, the only one I kept because it actually worked too good to pull out was the UUC Motorwerks. This "Panther" chip is really pretty nice and for $25 is hard to beat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7993114488

Paul

93-525i
09-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Doesn't really matter but after purchasing all the brand name chips over the years inluding TMS. Bavauto, Conforti, Dinan, and UUC Motorwerks, the only one I kept because it actually worked too good to pull out was the UUC Motorwerks. This "Panther" chip is really pretty nice and for $25 is hard to beat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7993114488

Paul

I was in the market for a chip when I came accross this post. I saw the e-bay chips many times but thought what can a 25-40 dollar chip realy do. Well after reading this I bought one on e-bay for about $40 shipped. I got the chp yesterday, and installed it, after having to straighten out the pins because the packaging was almost non existant. Anyway I got it in the car. Reconnected the battery and started the car. At first the idle jumped to 2k and apparently the computer wasn't used to the code but came back down and is actually below what the stock chip was, idles nicely though. Driving the car around town I didn't notice any real difference, not the low end the EAT chip is supposed to provide. I did however notice a higher (4000+) RPM surge, enough to make me think, damn! Anyway, I though these are some interesting alternatives to the $250 chips so I wanted to post some feedback.
Here is the ebayer I got my chip from - x_gen_performance.

SRR2
09-02-2005, 12:30 PM
I've had Conforti, Autothority, and EAT chips in my former E34 535. Mark's is the best of them, though the difference between his and JimC's isn't dramatic. Since Mark's chips cost quite a bit less than Conforti's the decision shouldn't be difficult. As far as operating costs go, as long as you keep your impulses mostly in check, the additional mileage and driveability (you can shift sooner, for example) will more than offset the higher price for premium.

[paragraph deleted]

rockyfeller
09-02-2005, 12:51 PM
EAT

uscharalph
09-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Anyone out there with an 1989 E34 525i (M20) that has an EAT chip in their car (Or anyone with the M20)? Can you let me know what differences you're experiencing. Thanks!

Reuben Lim
09-02-2005, 07:40 PM
So I don't have a basis to compare. But am planning to get the $25-wonder posted about above. Will give you update if I do. Re present performance, am quite happy with power and reasonable fuel eco. Have driven a 525 m50 tho and have to admit it's no contest, they are appreciably faster. My problem remains idling, have changed my ICV already, still have to clean this out periodically whenever I start stalling at idle. Don't know why this is, but don't think it's chip-related. Cheers!

Randell
09-02-2005, 08:42 PM
i haven't tried any of the others, but the EAT chip is excellent and is significantly cheaper than the other options out there (apart from this dubious ebay chip)

BigKriss made a post a while ago about swapping out his EAT chip and putting his old Powerchip back in.. i think he came to the conclusion that the EAT chip was better ... considering Powerchip claim 178-181kw from a 155kw M30, and their brochure shows a significant boost of power and torque right across the curve, i think that says something for the EAT chip!

Reuben Lim
09-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Actually as soon as I posted I thought I was an ass for thinking this. But do I really have an EAT chip, I was just relying on the say-so of the former owner, what I did was to go to garage, yank out the computer box and check, something I should have done more than two years ago. What I saw made me wonder, the chip looked pretty generic to me, no EAT markings at all, in fact I've attached an image of it, hope you could tell me what it is, If it is an EAT, won't replace this but if it isn't will have to think very hard how to go, am determined to upgrade the chip, the panther looks very tempting at the price, but still and all I may be risking more expensive engine damage later on, at least with EAT can sleep soundly at night.

BigKriss
09-03-2005, 12:46 AM
doesn't look like my eat chip. Randell is right, i swapped back from the powerchip to an eat chip. thats right they claim a bs 178 kw (14% increase), maybe at WOT it's the same, however, at part open throttle at low revs the eat chip is feels superior. more torque, you don't have to open the throttle as much to get rolling. There are others around with the m30 and the two chips i talk of. Trouble is most dudes in australia would go for a powerchip at aus$880.

AllGo'n'Show
10-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Hey all, ordered my ECU Chip from local tuner in town, Tunerworks. I had another guy message me on my other forums and said I should probbaly stay away from ECU Chipping because it puts more stress on the drivetrain and such and lets thigns go alot earlier then they should be. Is this true or to what effect will a new chip have on my drivetrain and such?

Thanks

DanDombrowski
10-20-2005, 01:33 PM
could be a copied 'real' chip

SRR2
10-20-2005, 02:43 PM
The amount of additional power due to the use of a chip is so small as to have no effect whatsoever on longevity of parts. How you drive, or to put it another way, how easy/abusive you are on the car will have far more to do with parts aging and premature failures.

If you want a chip, by all means get one, and don't give a second thought to additional wear and tear on your drivetrain.

romus
10-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi BigKriss. I'm from Sydney also, and was wondering where I'd be able to get an EAT here, without ordering it from the US. Would you know?

Thanks mate

Phil Sanderson
10-20-2005, 04:31 PM
below is a chart showing dyno figures for the standard chip, 95 RON chip and 98 RON chip. It shows the torque up greatly around 4000 rpm with the 95 RON chip and this is what I am running - it's great. BUY AN EAT CHIP, you won't regret it.
Phil

uscharalph
10-20-2005, 04:48 PM
below is a chart showing dyno figures for the standard chip, 95 RON chip and 98 RON chip. It shows the torque up greatly around 4000 rpm with the 95 RON chip and this is what I am running - it's great. BUY AN EAT CHIP, you won't regret it.
Phil
Thanks for that chart, Phil.

Cambridge
10-20-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm thinking of getting one for my 540i. How do I know if I have EWS-II?

McWatters
10-20-2005, 07:44 PM
I want an eat, BUt i have no idea If i have stock Rpm limit or what not how do i figure this nonsense out??

Cheers

J.McWatters

Kakaire
10-20-2005, 11:10 PM
First one to have EAT chip (from MarkD) in Africa....Lol packaging was great. Don't have nice freeways to exhaust this chip, otherwise the beast in 2nd/3rd pulls and pulls and pulls and pulls and pulls up the hill like am in sport mode.

BigKriss
10-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Hi BigKriss. I'm from Sydney also, and was wondering where I'd be able to get an EAT here, without ordering it from the US. Would you know?

Thanks mate

No distributors in Australia, so order from the website. He's located in Canada.

MarkD
10-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Actually as soon as I posted I thought I was an ass for thinking this. But do I really have an EAT chip, I was just relying on the say-so of the former owner, what I did was to go to garage, yank out the computer box and check, something I should have done more than two years ago. What I saw made me wonder, the chip looked pretty generic to me, no EAT markings at all, in fact I've attached an image of it, hope you could tell me what it is, If it is an EAT, won't replace this but if it isn't will have to think very hard how to go, am determined to upgrade the chip, the panther looks very tempting at the price, but still and all I may be risking more expensive engine damage later on, at least with EAT can sleep soundly at night.

That is the OEM chip.

MarkD

MarkD
10-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Thanks mate

I don't have any distributors in Australia and have decided to handle Australia from Canada for the time being.

If you order today, you will receive it within 10 days.

Mark

MarkD
10-21-2005, 10:15 AM
I want an eat, BUt i have no idea If i have stock Rpm limit or what not how do i figure this nonsense out??

Cheers

J.McWatters

If you have an auto, I suggest the stock rev limit. For a 5 speed, one of the chips with the raised rev. limiter could be more fun.

Mark

sdwhitney
10-21-2005, 10:22 AM
I have an E.A.T. in my 95 540ia.

I can say that it was one of the most noticeable upgrades in any car I have chipped or tuned.

If you have an auto, I suggest coupling it with a Dinan Tranny chip until Mark comes up with one.

When Mark comes out with a tranny chip, I will have a Dinan tranny chip for sale....

Interceptor
10-21-2005, 10:25 AM
If you have an auto, I suggest the stock rev limit. For a 5 speed, one of the chips with the raised rev. limiter could be more fun.
According to the chart that Phil Sanderson posted, EAT 98RON chip yields less power/torque than 95RON one? How is that possible?

MarkD
10-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I am also interested in reading a discussion debating the pros/cons of performance chips. I have heard that the EAT CHIP and the DINAN CHIP are two possible performance chip upgrades. I have not heard much about the pros and cons of each or if there are alternative chips to these. I am aware that this forum provides a direct link to purchase the EAT CHIP and that Mark D'Sylva (maker and seller of the EAT CHIP) frequents this forum and sometimes offers discounts for group buys.

I do have some questions about the performance chips before I go ahead and purchase it. If we're lucky Mark or somoene else just as knowledgeable will read this thread and answer our questions.

Answers:

1) The increase is very noticeable around 3000 rpm. I haven't driven a 535 with one of my chips for over a year, maybe someone who owns the car can explain further.

2) it increases torque at all rpms above 2200. Compensate? Toss a few bricks or sandbags in the trunk :)

3) At the time I developed that chip, I was not able to create hp/torque curves as the dyno software was not calibrated. I just used the dyno as a rolling road, and monitored a/f ratio when tuning. The dyno is now calibrated, but I have not had a chance to dyno a 535 yet. Bruno (of www.bmwe34.net) compared my chip chip to both the latest Dinan and JC chips and liked mine best.

4) YES

5) 91 AKI (95 RON) or higher

6) NO

7) Whay not an EAT chip? :) see (3) above. Dinan tunes chips very conservatively, so that they pass emissions in CA.

8) My chips pass in Ontario, and have evan passed in CA on many cars, such as the E34 M5 and 535i. I've heard of one person in the USA whose car did not pass with an EAT chip, in a 540iA. Others have passed.

9) 100 miles or so for the full effect.

10) people who like a better accelleration, and those that appreciate better fuel economy

11) Yes

12) Last Easter, I had a special sale for people here. I didn't remove the sale prices and restore the regular prices as I was busy at first, and then was dealing with diabetes. I was so tired that I didn't change the prices. It's still $188 on the link you will find on this site. During that time, I've had maybe 3 sales. The prices won't get any lower than the $188 and soon I'll be restoring them back to $199, which is a great deal anyway.

When you buy a chip off ebay, you are buying a copy of some other chip that some company has taken the time to develop. You could even be buying a chip with maps that are far from correct as some of those ebay seller are making potentially dangerous changes to the maps. I've analysed a few and seen that for myself. There's no good reason I can see to buy a chip that someone is cloning.

Mark

MarkD
10-21-2005, 11:00 AM
According to the chart that Phil Sanderson posted, EAT 98RON chip yields less power/torque than 95RON one? How is that possible?

When Phil sent me some charts earlier in the year, I told him that something seemed wrong with the results he sent. I'll have to look at the charts again.

Mark

Reuben Lim
10-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Mark, thanks for the heads up on my 89 525i a US version's chip. Was actually happy, since this means I can look forward to better performance with an upgrade. Visited your website, saw that there seemed to be but one offering for my particular model (far as I could tell that is), so am a bit confused re the 95 and the 98 options Phil cited in his post. So do you have more than one chip choice for my model, and if so, what are the differences in performance/function?

I noted in your raves section there were references to custom-writing of chips based on a customer's needs. Is this just for heavily-modified or race engines or do you do tweaks for daily drivers/occasional weekend warriors like me? Or is this what Phil was discussing in his post?

Also, do you have any dealers here in the Far East, am in Manila, the Philippines. An option for me would be to let someone in LA buy your EAT from a dealer you have there. Or like to Australia, have you ever shipped to Manila?

Forgive the blatantly commercial inquiry, was just going to e-mail you direct, but I thought your answers would also be of interest to others. Cheers!

McWatters
10-21-2005, 02:26 PM
So u guys dont recommend a Eat for my auto???
also do i have to use 91 octane??
cheers

J.McWatters

MarkD
10-21-2005, 02:32 PM
So u guys dont recommend a Eat for my auto???
also do i have to use 91 octane??
cheers

J.McWatters

Yes you should se 91 octane. The chip works well in an auto. I plan to make a small revision to the auto chip in a few months.

MarkD

MBXB
10-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Definitely EAT!
I used to have a Dinan in both engine and trans. Now it's EAT in the DME and Dinan in the trans.
You can immediately feel the difference.

McWatters
10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
So Mark D i will be sending you an order soon then, Um Any hints on to what those revisions are ????

cheers

J.McWatters

Beez540
10-21-2005, 04:13 PM
I use an EAT in my 540 and I like it.