PDA

View Full Version : Self levelling elimination ??

Rigmaster
08-14-2005, 03:33 PM
What is involved in eliminating the self-levelling rear suspension on a '92 525iT??

It looks like I'm about to be the new owner of one of these, the PO is a friend of mine who recently purchased it from to original (I think...) owner, but said friend has decided he does not need this car, plus a 528e, plus an E30M3, plus a vintage Benz, plus an Isetta, plus a 63 Mini, plus......well, you get the idea.

He's telling me that the self levelling seems to be working, but one of the hoses that carries fluid to the shocks has a pinhole leak in it. I'd just rather eliminate the rear self-levelling- especially since I have all the parts sitting around from a parts car.

Any write-ups or links??

Thanks!

Bret.

632 Regal
08-14-2005, 04:52 PM
there are problem related links and such, all I remember about this is you have to loop the fluid back to the pump and cant block the lines...if that helps at all.

SharkmanBMW
08-14-2005, 05:25 PM
congrats on the purchase Bret!
I would love a touring... Sweet.
I have read the same as Jeff, loop it back...

ScottyWM
08-14-2005, 05:52 PM
I know I've seen others too, but can't find them right now.

http://bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/E32e34ElimKits.pdf

Congrats on the ultimate dog hauler car!

Kalevera
08-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Bret - what's the missus going to do with her 535?

I've swapped and repaired self leveling suspensions, but never deleted them. The line is not that hard to replace, and given that it's a southern car, you could have it done in less than a half hour.

best, whit

gtopaul
08-14-2005, 06:39 PM
If you've just got a leak in one of the lines I'd look into fixing it first. The load leveling system works pretty well and there's no reason to replace it if it's working. I had a leak in the power steering hoses and replaced them (around $200) but the system works fine now. With any 13 year old hydraulic system you're bound to find some problems. Look at the rear accumulators and shocks for signs of leaking. If you have problems with leaking shocks and accumulators it might be better (more cost effective) to switch. I've got a set of H&R touring lowering springs coming from Germany so I hope to have the nose down on mine soon. Plus, just bought a set of AZEV Type E 18" rims which I hope will look decent. Touring's are fun!

Paul

92 525iT 183k

shogun
08-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Usually there is no prob with the LAD. And it is a fine option. In Europe you would face a problem just to eliminate it, as you would need then automatic self levelling system for the headlights in order not to disturb oncoming traffic. LAD equipped cars do not have this, as they do not need it.
On my website see under EDC /Niveauregulierung. There is a training manual for BMW technicians on this in German language, but with many drawings and explains the whole system. NNiveauregulierung = LAD.

Rigmaster
08-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

It's not a done deal yet, I don't need another car, but I've wanted an E34 (or E30 !!!) touring for a while and this deal is pretty much too good to pass up.

It looks to me like the BAV Auto "kit" is basically the rear springs (it says shocks are not included- then it says springs AND shocks are not included...), shock mounts and a couple of threaded plugs to plug the system once you disconnect it. Seems sort of pricey at ~$300, but I guess they're selling an all-in-one thing...

I think I'll check it out if (when :) I get the car, and I might see if I can find proper plugs to at least temporarily disable the system- until I decide whether to fix it or convert it.

The auto tranny is acting up a bit in this car too- guess I might have to see for myself how difficult it is to make it a 525iTM..... :)

Bret.

ps: Whit- the wife will be keeping her 535i- she LOVES that car.

Kalevera
08-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

It's not a done deal yet, I don't need another car, but I've wanted an E34 (or E30 !!!) touring for a while and this deal is pretty much too good to pass up.

It looks to me like the BAV Auto "kit" is basically the rear springs (it says shocks are not included- then it says springs AND shocks are not included...), shock mounts and a couple of threaded plugs to plug the system once you disconnect it. Seems sort of pricey at ~$300, but I guess they're selling an all-in-one thing...

I think I'll check it out if (when :) I get the car, and I might see if I can find proper plugs to at least temporarily disable the system- until I decide whether to fix it or convert it.

The auto tranny is acting up a bit in this car too- guess I might have to see for myself how difficult it is to make it a 525iTM..... :)

Bret.

ps: Whit- the wife will be keeping her 535i- she LOVES that car.
Haha, I knew it. Have to find a set of wheels for her car so she doesn't try to steal mine next time I'm over there :)

One other thought....you probably already considered this, but simply disconnecting the system and leaving the components in the car will give a rather bad ride...no suspension action on the rears. So, it might be smart to leave it connected and keep filling it with CHF 711, as necessary, until a final decision is made regarding what to do with it. The lines are EASY to do, though, and the ride is nice when it works properly.

Maybe you could pick up a wrecked late E32 at auction, use the LAD stuff off of it for the touring and sell a few parts to me :D

best, whit

Interceptor
08-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Usually there is no prob with the LAD. And it is a fine option. In Europe you would face a problem just to eliminate it, as you would need then automatic self levelling system for the headlights in order not to disturb oncoming traffic. LAD equipped cars do not have this, as they do not need it.
On my website see under EDC /Niveauregulierung. There is a training manual for BMW technicians on this in German language, but with many drawings and explains the whole system. NNiveauregulierung = LAD.
I don't have LAD, but I can control the height of the headlights manually, on the instrument panel, just on the left of the fog light switch. How come US cars don't have this option?

Rigmaster
08-14-2005, 10:36 PM
I don't have LAD, but I can control the height of the headlights manually, on the instrument panel, just on the left of the fog light switch. How come US cars don't have this option?

I believe it's another case of the US Gov't protecting us from ourselves......

In other words, it's not legal in the US, thanks to DOT (Dept of Transportation) regulations...........

Bret.

Interceptor
08-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I believe it's another case of the US Gov't protecting us from ourselves......

In other words, it's not legal in the US, thanks to DOT (Dept of Transportation) regulations...........
Strange - I was under the impression that headlight adjustment is there to protect the oncoming traffic when your car is under heavy load :)