PDA

View Full Version : Help ... Engine stopped and never started again

grave77
08-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I ran out of gas ... and I just filled it up afterwards ... I linked the battery to another battery outside to start it since my car doesnt start quickly ... after 4 tries it started ... left it to warm up ... while sitting and waiting the car just stopped !! ... started it again but it never did !!! ... when I lost the hope I called a friend to start it for me while I check the sparks on the plugs ... but there was nothing ... I removed the wire off the high voltage coil and it had no ground signal ... I thought the DME was tosted ... I replaced it with one I kept ... but the same thing was there ... no ignition signal reaching ... I tried to bypass the wire to the DME on the ignition Transistor collector but also the same ... no ignition signal reaching ... what would it be... is it the crank sensor? or am in deeper sh!t?!

uscharalph
08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
This probably doesn't apply, but it brought back memories of my 1984 733i. It had 2 fuel pumps, one up front and one in the gas tank. You couldn't run out of gas without causing problems with that gas tank fuel pump.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-12-2005, 05:23 PM
And check to see that you are getting fuel up to the injectors.

I have seen fuel pumps fail shortly after being run dry from over heating.

grave77
08-13-2005, 02:29 AM
the fuel pump is brand new! the problem now is that there is now spark. power reaches the dme and high voltage coil but no sparks signal from dme.

Sean H
08-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I'd check the crank/cam position sensors. My car dies mysteriously after running perfectly well (similar symptoms too: fuel pump running, erratic/no spark) and it turned out to to be the crank sensor.

grave77
08-13-2005, 12:00 PM
well ... that makes sense !! as per Bently manual says too ... but ... can you bring back old memories about the time before it ... did the heat cause some changes too ... before that time it failed? ...just for confirmation .. this also caused no current flow in the high voltage coil? cuz there was no signal nor current passing through the coil. thanks for your awaited information ..been good help :) ..by the way I liked your signiture :P