PDA

View Full Version : Central Door lock short in the trunk

Unregistered
02-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I've been having problems locking the doors from the trunk, sometimes it works, and sometimes its dead. And of late I can tell its shorted out somewhere in the trunk, as when I try to lock the drivers door it takes twice to lock. Is there a common place where a short usually happens on the 535I trunk area. I'm also locked out of the car, as the short drained the battery fully; and have tried the manual passengers side door holding up the door latch and trying to work the key clockwise. No luck. I'm looking for a Pinto, car or horse to ride off into the sunset.
Steve

Rocky
02-26-2004, 02:50 PM
from the chassis of the car to the trunk along the driver's side trunk strut. This bundle of wires has to flex or bend each time you open and close the trunk, so this appears to be a common place for wires to break, fray, short, etc. I would guess this might be your culprit. I'm guessing it's the same on your 535. Try taking this bundle apart and checking each wire for integrity.

mjradin
02-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Had the same problem on wife's 1995 525ia. Open the bundle of wires on the left trunk arm (remove the plastic cover) and cut open the wires. Look for breaks. Those can be repaired very easily, When done, I suggest not taping them back together- it simply adds a stress point.

Finally, you need to re-synchroniz the locks. Read Bruno's site carefully about this. If that fails, you may have a failed locking mechanism. They are expensive but will screw up the entire mechanism.

I had 2 that were gone and it was about $500 to replace.

Michael Radin