PDA

View Full Version : New Radiator time!

infinity5
08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Does replacing the radiator on automatics mean i'm going to have to refill the transmission? They look obviously integrated (trans cooler+Radiator) but are they really?

PatrickPGH
08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Does replacing the radiator on automatics mean i'm going to have to refill the transmission? They look obviously integrated (trans cooler+Radiator) but are they really?

On my 95 530i automatic (12/94 build date) the transmission cooler is connected to the front of radiator by screws, it is not an integral part of the radiator. I wasn't able to access the front of the radiator to unscrew it, so I disconnected the transmission fluid lines from the cooler and pulled the assembly out. I then removed the cooler and attached it to the new radiator.

If I had to do it over again, I'd find a way to unscrew the transmission cooler without having to disconnect the lines. As I did lose some fluid.

Hope that helps,

Patrick

infinity5
08-12-2005, 03:38 PM
thanks! thats what i plan on doing. There appear to be two screws at the top of the radiator that hold the trans cooler against it... did you undo those? There might still be more hiding someplace.. i'll just take apart the front end till i can reach them