PDA

View Full Version : opening fog lamp housing

nuwde
08-12-2005, 10:09 AM
How do I do this? Am I supposed to just pry it open where the black seal is located (between glass lens and plastic housing)? If so, how do I seal it back?

I'm not just changing bulbs, but trying to clean the inside of it. Please help! Thanks.

Rigmaster
08-12-2005, 10:33 AM
It sort of depends on which fogs you have- the short plastic ones or the longer ellipsoid ones.

The ellipsoids are pretty easy to take apart- there are 4 screws that hold the lens assembly to the body- remove these and the 2 parts will separate easily. Reinstall the gasket carefully to prevent future leaks.

The smaller plastic fogs are pretty difficult to take apart without breaking something. Maybe some heat (hairdryer) would help- but I have not tried that.

Bret.

632 Regal
08-12-2005, 10:41 AM
if you manage to get it apart you could use urethane to reseal them...silicone attracts moisture thats why people that seal windshilds with it end up with nothing holding the window in.

nuwde
08-12-2005, 10:43 AM
It sort of depends on which fogs you have- the short plastic ones or the longer ellipsoid ones.

The ellipsoids are pretty easy to take apart- there are 4 screws that hold the lens assembly to the body- remove these and the 2 parts will separate easily. Reinstall the gasket carefully to prevent future leaks.

The smaller plastic fogs are pretty difficult to take apart without breaking something. Maybe some heat (hairdryer) would help- but I have not tried that.

Bret.

Yeah it seems like mine are the smaller ones (no screws holding it together). Anyone have experience with these that could give me some tips? Thanks!!

632 Regal
08-12-2005, 11:23 AM
ohhh the non elipsoids? Get a set of the elipsoids...night and day difference in light and quality!

nuwde
08-12-2005, 11:29 AM
ohhh the non elipsoids? Get a set of the elipsoids...night and day difference in light and quality!

You mean something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7992075622&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Are these elipsoids?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7992922515&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Please no one else bid on them ;)

nuwde
08-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Also, would I need to wire anything different or just plug it in with a different bulb?

Thanks!

uscharalph
08-12-2005, 11:53 AM
"Please no one else bid on them"

That's pretty funny! You put something in front of this group and......... You get the point!