PDA

View Full Version : Random miss at idle

Russell
08-11-2005, 10:53 AM
I was idling the car (with air on ) for about 10 minutes today after a drive and noticed somthing new. every once in a while it seems to randomally miss/falter at idle. Never noticed it while driving. no miss noticible when it revs from idle. All maintainace is up to date. PLugs filters/oil etc.

Anyone? TIA

shogun
08-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Check the distributor cap and the rotor, even if the maintenance is up to date.
Quickly done.

billb
08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Check the distributor cap and the rotor, even if the maintenance is up to date.
Quickly done.

probably not that

billb
08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
I was idling the car (with air on ) for about 10 minutes today after a drive and noticed somthing new. every once in a while it seems to randomally miss/falter at idle. Never noticed it while driving. no miss noticible when it revs from idle. All maintainace is up to date. PLugs filters/oil etc.

Anyone? TIA

My wife's does that too with the A/C on, when the clutch kicks in and the revs drop momentarily.

granit_silber
08-11-2005, 11:58 AM

Anyone? TIA

Russell,

Shogun's on it but you don't have a cap. You have direct fire coils on top of the plugs. It sounds like one of those is going or gone. The tell-tale sign (I found out this weekend) is the presence of flaky brown residue, like dried out caramel on the end of the plug connector. That means the coil has fried the insulation and it's going way bad.
New Bremi coils can be found from BMA Autoparts for around $45.
-ashley

stu1
08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Might also be oil down at the plug (from a slightly leaky gasket)...

Russell
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
New plugs about month ago. tiny bit of oil in bottom of wells. Valve cover gasket about 16 months old. I do question coils as I had two of them with a bit of "candy" on the top surfaces of the original Bremi coils. BTW, previous plugs all burned very clean.

Do not believe a vacumn leak. Even so I replaced the charcoal canister about a month ago. Will check out in more detail this evening or this weekend.

Do believe AC compressor kicking in as if "felt" different, not a drag but a cutout for a split second.

ryan roopnarine
08-11-2005, 01:49 PM
id bet money its the leaking valve cover gasket. having the "candy" doesn't help. take the coils off, and put a q-tip in the end of a set of needle nose pliers. remove the oil. clean the ends of the boot ends with the qtip until no residue remains. use some contact cleaner up in them if you have it and you think the boot would survive the solvent. pull the plugs and wipe the ceramic and top parts off. remember, the valve cover gasket sits pretty high up on the spark plug well. if its leaking oil, its spraying it pretty high up, which means a decent amount had to spray into there befoire it dried or dripped to the bottom, if there is an accumulation. im almost certain its that, and doing this costs nothing except your time.

Russell
08-12-2005, 05:17 AM
Even though the temperature was 101 and the air was on in heavy traffic. I may just need to wait until it "gets broke enough to fix". I just may have had some bad gas. I added BP 93 the other day. I normally use either Chevron or V-Power 93. Will watch for a few days

id bet money its the leaking valve cover gasket. having the "candy" doesn't help. take the coils off, and put a q-tip in the end of a set of needle nose pliers. remove the oil. clean the ends of the boot ends with the qtip until no residue remains. use some contact cleaner up in them if you have it and you think the boot would survive the solvent. pull the plugs and wipe the ceramic and top parts off. remember, the valve cover gasket sits pretty high up on the spark plug well. if its leaking oil, its spraying it pretty high up, which means a decent amount had to spray into there befoire it dried or dripped to the bottom, if there is an accumulation. im almost certain its that, and doing this costs nothing except your time.