PDA

View Full Version : OT GPS Software

dacoyote
08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Nothing like the last minute to be getting stuff for the trip, I really want to have GPS again.

The big things I need are.

Cheap
Fast to get

The best match I have found is Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 with GPS Locator at 125 bucks that I can go get at Best Buy, Get an AC / DC converter or a laptop charger for the AC and I am all set. Has anyone used MS Streets and Trips before? Or has a better suggestion in the same prince range?

-Charles

DanDombrowski
08-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Ive used it, but never with the GPS locator. If you can buy the GPS locator separately, streets and trips should be easy enough to find on the bittorrent networks, if you're into that sort of thing.

granit_silber
08-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Nothing like the last minute to be getting stuff for the trip, I really want to have GPS again.

Cheap
Fast to get

The best match I have found is Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 with GPS Locator at 125 bucks that I can go get at Best Buy, Get an AC / DC converter or a laptop charger for the AC and I am all set. Has anyone used MS Streets and Trips before? Or has a better suggestion in the same prince range?

-Charles

You can buy the Garmin E-Trex Legend handheld GPS ($200) that comes with a fairly good basemap of the U.S. in it (it even has info of the businesses at interstate exits) and later add the software to change the maps and/or detial of said maps.

-ashley
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

dacoyote
08-11-2005, 09:01 AM
You can buy the Garmin E-Trex Legend handheld GPS ($200) that comes with a fairly good basemap of the U.S. in it (it even has info of the businesses at interstate exits) and later add the software to change the maps and/or detial of said maps.

-ashley
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

I will have to check that out, thanks

brodee
08-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't like S&T with a gps, not enough options. I used Delorme for the GPS on my carputer.

If you have time to order one check out Deluo (http://www.deluo.com/) They have some nice solutions that aren't very expensive. I used one of their USB receivers for a long time and will be buying one of their bluetooth ones to use with my ipaq and my treo.

bimmerd00d
08-11-2005, 09:47 AM

Cheap
Fast to get

-Charles

That is the exact setup i am using. I bought the ms streets and trips software and gps antenna, but im using iGuidance for software as well. MS Streets and Trips has more road info, but the iGuidance layout is much better for using it while moving. Streets and Trips does not have voice guidance, or i haven't found out how to enable it if there is. The antenna works well though, syncs with satellites in about 15-30 seconds tops.

dacoyote
08-11-2005, 10:37 AM
That is the exact setup i am using. I bought the ms streets and trips software and gps antenna, but im using iGuidance for software as well. MS Streets and Trips has more road info, but the iGuidance layout is much better for using it while moving. Streets and Trips does not have voice guidance, or i haven't found out how to enable it if there is. The antenna works well though, syncs with satellites in about 15-30 seconds tops.

I used to have traveroute and it was great at the time, however it takes weeks to show up, and I really don't want to be lost in on the trip this weekend.

I would like to check out iGuidance when I am up there if you could bring it with you.

-Charles

btw... got your message, looks like you already signed off however.

jarome
08-11-2005, 06:41 PM
I got a copy of Iguidance 2.1!

I'm slowly gathering some software for a possible carPC :D

dacoyote
08-11-2005, 08:37 PM
I got the Delorme EarthMate GPS LT-20 (With Street Atlas USA)

Even better then the MS kit I was going to get, prop not as good as my traveroute, that and a direct dc charger(universial) for the laptop, 220 USD at bestbuy.

That and the stuff from bimmerd00d and no more toys till after I get in the new house :-(

-Charles

Qube
08-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Belkin Bluetooth GPS coupled with an HP iPaq 4150 PDA... top it off with a dash mount. Works great!

Oh yes... software. Mapopolis!