PDA

View Full Version : My Spark Plugs are Stuck

julielewis
08-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I just bought my car a month ago and I decided to get the spark plugs changed. To my surprise, the previous owner used the incorrect plugs and now two can't come out. Any suggestions?

632 Regal
08-10-2005, 10:54 PM
ummm.... if someone tried to take them out or install them while the engine was HOT then they probably axxed the threads. rule is with aluminum heads is to let it cool to room temp before messing around or its heli coil time.

bill g
08-11-2005, 03:06 AM
Some causes of this problem -
Spark plug threads too long and projecting into the combustion chamber where they get carboned up, or threads in head previously damaged. If you cannot get the spark plugs to turn in the normal direction to remove, try turning them in slightly (tightening) to get some movement started. If they are really tight to unscrew you will almost certainly strip the thread in the head if you just force it undone. I have saved threads in heads a few times by screwing the plug in slightly,then out a bit more, then in again, out a bit more, and so on until it is out. Try not to apply too much force, take your time, do it carefully.

Bill G

Mas (UK)
08-11-2005, 05:42 AM
into those wells and let it soak into the thread area for a while. Often this stuff works wonders on tight and rusty stuff. Good luck bro!

Mas

dacoyote
08-11-2005, 07:44 AM
into those wells and let it soak into the thread area for a while. Often this stuff works wonders on tight and rusty stuff. Good luck bro!

Mas

Don't mess with wd40... go pbblaster.

-Charles

BobHarris
08-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Or Plus Gas if you in the Uk (Ive never heard of pbblaster before reading this board).

All the best

Bob