PDA

View Full Version : paint job

nuwde
08-10-2005, 09:58 PM
How much do they cost? You guys think it's worth it?

dacoyote
08-10-2005, 10:13 PM
How much do they cost? You guys think it's worth it?

about 3k + for anything you are going to want to stick on bmw.

Why do you want to paint it? I have been working on fixing my misc rust spots that came with the car.

Thanks

-Charles

nuwde
08-10-2005, 10:32 PM
about 3k + for anything you are going to want to stick on bmw.

Why do you want to paint it? I have been working on fixing my misc rust spots that came with the car.

Thanks

-Charles

just wanted a different color, but it seems like i'm sticking with gold.

"i loove gooooooold!!"

Gayle
08-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I have been working on fixing my misc rust spots that came with the car.

How are you working on them?

632 Regal
08-10-2005, 10:52 PM
new color including door jams, under hood with a DECENT job will cost more than the car is worth.

pundit
08-11-2005, 12:18 AM
just wanted a different color, but it seems like i'm sticking with gold.

"i loove gooooooold!!"
If you want a different color sell your current E34 and buy one in the color you want. This will work out less expensive than a quality job for a complete color change. A total color change done properly is a VERY BIG JOB ($5-$10k!!!) and should only be considered if you have money to burn on your car. And if that is this case why aren't you driving an M5? ;)

A respray (same color) is still not cheap and is only worth considering if the rest of the car is in good condition and you plan on keeping it for at least 5 years or more. Otherwise sell your current E34 and buy one in better overall condition with better paint.

uscharalph
08-11-2005, 12:56 AM
If you want a different color sell your current E34 and buy one in the color you want. This will work out less expensive than a quality job for a complete color change. A total color change done properly is a VERY BIG JOB ($5-$10k!!!) and should only be considered if you have money to burn on your car. And if that is this case why aren't you driving an M5? ;)

A respray (same color) is still not cheap and is only worth considering if the rest of the car is in good condition and you plan on keeping it for at least 5 years or more. Otherwise sell your current E34 and buy one in better overall condition with better paint.
I totally agree with pundit!

dacoyote
08-11-2005, 07:42 AM
How are you working on them?

Spot painting, with the over all goal of a complete repaint of the car in about 2 -3 years.

Sand off the paint by it.
Sand the rust down the metal. (Hardest Step as it normally involvies the dremail)
Based on where it is, and how unsmoth it is now, putty the low spots back in (should prop do that everywhere now that I think about it)
Ech primmer.
normal primmer.
2 base coats
2 clear coats
fast foward 3 weeks
deep cut shine
show shine
Then in about 3 months it can be waxed.

I have done it on other cars and I have always been really happy, I am not really happy with the paint / turn out I got on the doors, its no bad and I havn't had a chance to do the last steps, but it was clear and base mixed and I rushed the job (single worse thing you can do, so I will be repainting them at some point.)

-Charles

Gayle
08-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the explanation. How are you applying the paint?

dacoyote
08-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the explanation. How are you applying the paint?

The last stuff I used was sherwood williams spray can as I just needed to get it cleaned up. There are other companies that offer spray cans, in fact a couple that even have seporate base and clear cans, and I prop will order some of that once I run out of my current cans, I have 4 more spots to do on the car before winter really gets here.

Before then I had a little pro setup... it created much better paint jobs, even though it was a lot more... messy...

-Charles

han
08-11-2005, 10:36 AM
How badly do e34 paint jobs fade? My car is a late '93 model in calyso red, if i touch up little spots arnt the new paint spots gonna be alot brighter? What the best way to get the colours of the new paint to match pefectly?

dacoyote
08-11-2005, 10:50 AM
How badly do e34 paint jobs fade? My car is a late '93 model in calyso red, if i touch up little spots arnt the new paint spots gonna be alot brighter? What the best way to get the colours of the new paint to match pefectly?

Everthing I had done so far has been to a line, I havn't had to try to blend anything yet, the colors on my car look close enough to blend..

-Charles