PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on how to get $900 in two days?

Dan in NZ
08-10-2005, 06:41 AM
That damned headgasket job has me two months behind on credit card payments... Now it's way over it's limit, and they want $936 by Friday or it goes to the debt collectors.

I've been trying to sell the E34, but there's no market for them here at the moment. I could take it to the auction, but would break my heart to see it sell for peanuts.

I can't ask my parents, because I'm not talking to them at the moment... Every time I talk to them I just end up in an arguement.

billb
08-10-2005, 07:24 AM
That damned headgasket job has me two months behind on credit card payments... Now it's way over it's limit, and they want $936 by Friday or it goes to the debt collectors.

I've been trying to sell the E34, but there's no market for them here at the moment. I could take it to the auction, but would break my heart to see it sell for peanuts.

I can't ask my parents, because I'm not talking to them at the moment... Every time I talk to them I just end up in an arguement.

...it is not worth digging a hole you can't get out of. Suck up your pride, explain your situation with your parents, and work out a solution (payment plan on a low-interest loan to them). You do NOT want a short-term problem like temporary debt ruin your credit down the road (think about buying a house or even a newer car with collections history...HIGH interest rates!!) I had a similar problem in college that my folks helped me out with, because I came to them with my situation as an adult. And yes, it was even during a period of time that we were having lots of disagreements. But because of that, I have had a clean credit rating since then, with no regrets.

And even though we love our E34s, don't let that fact stand in the way of your future. If it means avoiding bankruptcy or collections, I'd offload the E34 in favor of something lower-maintenance.

NickM535
08-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Has the car got ICE, spare set of mags, stuff like that?? selling this seperatley might help you out....

Other than that, you could probably become sell yourself, ask your parents (they did raise you) maybe they raise you 900 bucks ;) , small personal loan or a loan shark??

Maybe after this you should get rid of the credit card!

bimmerd00d
08-10-2005, 07:34 AM
deuce bigalow, male gigolo! Nah seriously, i agree with Bill B completely. I was in that same boat.

dacoyote
08-10-2005, 08:21 AM
...it is not worth digging a hole you can't get out of. Suck up your pride, explain your situation with your parents, and work out a solution (payment plan on a low-interest loan to them). You do NOT want a short-term problem like temporary debt ruin your credit down the road (think about buying a house or even a newer car with collections history...HIGH interest rates!!) I had a similar problem in college that my folks helped me out with, because I came to them with my situation as an adult. And yes, it was even during a period of time that we were having lots of disagreements. But because of that, I have had a clean credit rating since then, with no regrets.

And even though we love our E34s, don't let that fact stand in the way of your future. If it means avoiding bankruptcy or collections, I'd offload the E34 in favor of something lower-maintenance.

I was in the same spot that Bill and yourself are / was in. I was to proud to ask my folks and still am paying for it.

Your other option is to go work the streets... (jk)

-Charles

ryan roopnarine
08-10-2005, 08:22 AM
ask the CC company to set up a payment plan if you must...its likely less of a hit than sending it to a collector (at least that is how it is in the US). ask your parents. do they have plasma donation places there? i know you can make about 60$USD the first 72 hrs here...while that isn't 900NZD, its enough to offer to the CC company if they are willing to set up a plan but want immediate payment.

Gayle
08-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Ryan's idea is a good one. If you call and work with the credit card company, they can work out something other than than the full 9 immediately. They will freeze your card and you won't be able to charge anything until you get it paid off. Usually what gets you into collections is not communicating with the creditor.

When you call be as nice and likeable and sweet as you can. I can't stress how important that is. It is a human being on the other end and he/she will do much more for you if he/she likes you. Explain you situation that you are so close to graduation and will have money soon. It is a win win situation. The get all their money and you save your credit.

632 Regal
08-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Gayle is right on as well...In my situation I am soo financially screwed I cant even get a decent rate credit card...all kinds of black marks on my credit...mostly hospital bills that I never recieved or the first ex got and never gave me. I am to the point that if they take me to collections I dont care...if they take me to court and they get an award it is limited to 25% of DISPOSABLE income (which I do not have) plus I have a child support obligation which in that case they wont get the award in the first place. I try to explain to these folks that I cant pay it all at once...they dont care and then report me...and another day in the life.

genphreak
08-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Make the e34 pay **for itself**!!! Grab a suit and hat and start a limo service with your (cleaned) E34 for the next local partay. Offer to drive the girls to and fro from their homes to the clubs/parties; give them all 'Get out of jail cheap' cards on the way in with ur mobile, so you can come get em if they need a limo home... tell em u charge on time, so its like $10 per 10 minutes or something...

PS- I guess if you stop after a few weeks no-one will catch up w you and book your ass for doing illegal taxiing. Its tax free too unless you have too much income and have to declare it... ;) GP

genphreak
08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
oh, and use the proceeds to pay the CCs of gradually of course

Rodericb
08-10-2005, 07:24 PM
You could do a title loan for $900. I don't know if there are any places in your area that offer this but it works like pawning your car. The title company loans you the funds and they hold your title as collateral until you pay off the loan....with the juice included of course.

mattyb
08-10-2005, 07:53 PM
in oz being reffered to a debt collector or mercantile agent doesnt mean being listed on cra. not communicating with them does. as a rule in most countries bad cra listings can only occur after you have not responded to the agent. they will ussually negotiate a settlement rather than list u .unless u can get the dosh from your parents u need to be pro active in negotiating and not wait to be contacted. did u get your car back allready without having paid for it? the title loan sounds good. do you own the car or is it encumbered? dont be dreaming about tripping over 900 bucks, u need to contact and negotiate.

Dan in NZ
08-10-2005, 09:57 PM
I've been in touch with the credit card company, and they'll give me another two weeks to pay as much as I can. I haven't missed a payment in 3 years, so they're being pretty good about it.

I've got some causal wait work on Friday, should get $100... I've also been in contact with a car broker about selling my car. Next stop, selling tissue samples to the Anatomy department of my university. Hoping to also get some more modelling work, but not too hopefull.

2fast
08-10-2005, 10:02 PM
You could try and sell it on trade me for $1000 and a car swap?

Paul in NZ
08-11-2005, 03:44 AM
keep talking to the CC company Dan and pay what you promise....but dont make promises you cant keep.The CC company will use the debt collector only if they think its a lost cause.And I beleive if it goes to a collector you will get a bad credit listing which will stay there for 5-7 years.If your card has been cancelled you may already have a listing.

Dan in NZ
08-11-2005, 06:36 AM
I'm thinking that I might try to get an extension to my overdraft. That would mean my credit rating remains intact, but puts me further up the shitter financially. I think it's really the best option, and I should be able to pay a lot of the debt off over summer.

The card hasn't been cancelled, but it doesn't work because it's over it's limit... Haven't used it for three months. They actually just sent me pre-approved gold card this week.

Gayle
08-11-2005, 08:46 AM
They actually just sent me pre-approved gold card this week.

See if it has a balance transfer option. We get credit card offers all the time where they want us to transfer the balance from another card and they give a really low interest rate on the transferred balance. If the gold card has a higher limit than your current card you could solve the problem by transfering the whole balance.

bahnstormer
08-11-2005, 12:02 PM
let us know how it goes...
is there any reason you're not working at the moment?

Jose
08-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Just pick up the phone and call the company. Write down some ideas first on how to proceed with the conversation and make a list of details you want to discuss, if possible set as first topic how you got into this situation in the first place, but NEVER EVER mention you got there due to owning such an expensive car, they wonīt listen to the rest of your story seriously any more. Relax and clear your mind before making the call and concentrate on your breathing while calling, it will make you sound more relaxed and comfortable with your delicate situation, and above all, remain CALM at all times, even if they sound unreasonable. Make notes while obn the phone, write evey detail you can recall afterwards and confirm the phone conversation in writing to them. By e-mail AND by normal letter. This will give you an huge advantage, if the decide to give your case out of hands, to arrange a payment plan with the other company in the means that you will be able to prove you tried to solve the situation in the best way possible.

Youīre a smart guy, relax, you will get there , donīt worry mate.

Been there, done that, the sun will shine eventually, just as John said above, itīs just another day, hang on to the good stuff, thereīs enough **** out there to face yet.

crashnburn80
08-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Your a student at a University, you check out your University resources, you would be suprised. I got into a similar situation when I was in school and remembered reading something about emergency student loans from the University. I got $1250.00 from my school, with no questions and no credit check, only requirement was that I was a student and I had not been late repaying any previous emergency loan. The loan was for 90 days, 0% interest and had a processing fee of $10. Totally saved me. Look into it, could be a life saver ;)

Dan in NZ
08-11-2005, 06:15 PM
The gold card is just a golden version of the existing one, so unfortunately cant' transfer the balance... While I'm at university I have no income, so can't apply for another one either.

From my university website "The has established a fund to provide grants to enrolled students, of the University, experiencing temporary financial difficulty, or who need to meet urgent unforseen expense/s."

I've applied to that with my story of being sick for six weeks in june-july, being unable to work over that time etc etc etc (all true). Hopefully they can hook me up with some of the amount!

Nick.Hay
08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
You don't know some big, gay Maoris do you?? Although, you mightn't be able to sit comfortably for a few weeks!!! H ha ah aha...

I know how you feel tho. I haven't paid any of my $1200 bill at my mechanic for about 4-5 months... They are getting well pissed at me!! :(

Gayle
08-11-2005, 11:04 PM
You don't know some big, gay Maoris do you?? Although, you mightn't be able to sit comfortably for a few weeks!!! H ha ah aha...

:(

Things are not that desparate.

Gayle
08-11-2005, 11:33 PM
While I'm at university I have no income, so can't apply for another one either.

I hate to teach you bad habits, but there are times when lying is a good thing. In deciding whether to approve your app, they don't check employment. They ask you what your annual income is and they accept it without verification. That is why first credit cards have low limits until you prove yourself. What they do check is your payment history or your credit history, which is still intact. Companies only report you when you are 60-90 days over due.

Try to get your hands on another application for an account that has a balance transfer option with a low rate. One that has phone approval is even better. A transfer still takes 3 to 4 weeks but at least you won't be paying 18%. Only do this once. People get themselves into real trouble doing this repeatedly. They max one out and open another and max it out. I have known 20 somethings who had to file for bankruptcy doing this trick repeatedly until it caught up with them. Using it once can help you get out of a jam.

You are a smart guy. You will find some way out of this. You have already taken some good steps in the right direction. Good luck.

uscharalph
08-12-2005, 12:21 AM
I hate to teach you bad habits, but there are times when lying is a good thing. In deciding whether to approve your app, they don't check employment. They ask you what your annual income is and they accept it without verification. That is why first credit cards have low limits until you prove yourself. What they do check is your payment history or your credit history, which is still intact. Companies only report you when you are 60-90 days over due.

Try to get your hands on another application for an account that has a balance transfer option with a low rate. One that has phone approval is even better. A transfer still takes 3 to 4 weeks but at least you won't be paying 18%. Only do this once. People get themselves into real trouble doing this repeatedly. They max one out and open another and max it out. I have known 20 somethings who had to file for bankruptcy doing this trick repeatedly until it caught up with them. Using it once can help you get out of a jam.

You are a smart guy. You will find some way out of this. You have already taken some good steps in the right direction. Good luck.
Good advice! Only do it once!

Dan in NZ
08-12-2005, 03:10 AM
I applied for another card by saing I was earning $50k. They wanted my last three payslips and three months worth of bank statements... Good idea though!

mattyb
08-12-2005, 09:20 PM
dan, dont apply for anymore credit. i am familiar with how these processes work in oz and nz, they very similiar. everytime u apply for credit it goes on your file. u have a file even if u do not have bad credit. repeated attempts to access credit will stuff u for years and being declined in the future may be a result of not bad credit but just applying to much. its designede to identify not just bad credit risks but people who go looking for credit too much over a short period. youll stuff youself just trying this. empoylment checks etc are always done so forget the advice i saw on the thread earlier.its attempted fraud and you will get caught.crashnburn has the right idea

montsta56 nz
08-14-2005, 03:26 AM
try sellin P dude