PDA

View Full Version : What is Carfax ?

Zeuk in Oz
08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Sorry guys, but I just have to ask. What is a carfax, and presuming they are a dealer or government history of a particular vehicle, how can you have a spare carfax ?
Please humour an ignorant Aussie !

ukm5
08-09-2005, 06:19 PM
it only covers the US I think, certainly doesnt cover UK cars
its just a history of accidents etc and i guess you can sign up and get so many free checks a month and therefore a spare carfax is a free check that someone ca do for you when they are a member

http://www.carfax.com/

Zeuk in Oz
08-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks.
We have something similar in NSW called REVS - Register of Encumbered Vehicles but it only checks for money owing on a vehicle - nothing like as comprehensive as your carfax.
To get anything like it we have to go to a dealer and sweet talk them into doing a service history check on a particular vehicle.
We don't have lemon laws in Oz either, unfortunately. :D
Our REVS checks are not free either and last for only 24 hours.

Gayle
08-09-2005, 08:08 PM
UKM5

Interesting picture. Where is it? What is the building? Did you use a filter to get that blue sky?

ukm5
08-09-2005, 08:53 PM
its a small island off the uk, and no its just a standard kodac digital camera pic of my car next to an old house, its been bordered up since then as its unsafe - its made of precast concrete with no steel support inside and its starting to crack up

BobHarris
08-10-2005, 02:43 PM
its a small island off the uk, and no its just a standard kodac digital camera pic of my car next to an old house, its been bordered up since then as its unsafe - its made of precast concrete with no steel support inside and its starting to crack up

Which small island?

Cheers

Bob

nyc525iTe34
08-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Carfax is an online site that gives you a car history (records) on a particular vehicle. If you go to Carfax.com you can get a preliminary car history report for FREE as long as you have the VIN# for the vehicle in question. A full Carfax report costs $$ so anyone with a spare hanging around likely shelled out the money for it.