PDA

View Full Version : Bets on what a mechanic will say cooling problem it is?

StorminNorm
08-09-2005, 05:11 PM
I've had my car since May this year. It only recently started to get miserably hot here - 95-105 degrees. Water pump was replaced March 2005 right before I bought it. Hoses and clamps as well as reserve tank cap were replaced in June along with new fluids.

This all started a month ago when I had the car parked nose down my driveway. I didnt drive it for 4 days due to a tweaked seat back. It was 95 degree days that week. On the 4th day, I noticed there was a small puddle of coolant on the driveway under the right headlamp. I started the car and indicated low coolant level. I topped off and all was fine until I saw the needle move to the right - maybe the temp needle's width but - I turn off AC and it cranks right to dead center. Never gets worse even in stop and go 100 degree traffic. Of course I dont push it.

I 've been losing coolant. Not consistently. Its ran over 1000 miles in the last 2 weeks without losing a drop then over the weekend, lost 2 cups. Car doesnt really overheat. I am super paranoid so I've been driving with the AC on low. When I feel confident, I will put the fan to the next notch and three times in the last month,

I have bled and bled the system. I've checked for leaks - not as thorough as I would like but casually visual around the hoses and nothing.

I've given up. I am tired of driving with no AC cause I am paranoid. I dont have time to guess on my own. I am taking it to a local mechanic who has been awesome with some past issues on other cars.

Any bets on what it could be????

632 Regal
08-09-2005, 06:24 PM
bled a V8??? cool!

Check the radiator cap and the pisser hose that runs from there to the radiator.

The right headlamp being the drivers side on a US car? If so check the area good where the rad hose goes on for leakage...these radiators have plastic tanks that deteriorate over time and will fail right at that point.