PDA

View Full Version : I went crazy with the 535i....

bighc2000
02-26-2004, 12:44 PM
...and I hope not to regret it. Blew the tax return on the following:

From BMA: 1340.00
M-Tech sways
Sachs kit.
control arms
thrust arms
4 sway links
motor mounts
rear shock mounts
various minor parts.

From Mark D. 164.00 Winter sale! Thanks Mark.
EAT chip

From Ebay 450.00 with shipping
8-series wheels

From Tire Rack - 360.00
Kumho 225/55/16 HR tires (5)

Took to mechanic who had done my rear subframe bushings last year for 600 bucks.

He added that I needed:
dogbones
trans mounts - these were TRASHED!
4 new rotors - his recommendation - zimmerman cross drilled
oil change
mount and balance tires
oil change and plugs
alignment

He is charging me.....gulp....about 2 grand.....for his parts and labor.

I hope it is all worth it. 140k miles on the car and it needed the entire R&R...
I will let you know how it all turns out as I pick it up tomorrow.

I am one broke puppy and I need a minor lotto win. :p

BigD
02-26-2004, 12:50 PM
That guy is taking you to the cleaners. A clutch job isn't worth 600 (with parts), let alone the subframe bushings. I paid 200 Canadian to get mine done.

...and I hope not to regret it. Blew the tax return on the following:

From BMA: 1340.00
M-Tech sways
Sachs kit.
control arms
thrust arms
4 sway links
motor mounts
rear shock mounts
various minor parts.

From Mark D. 164.00 Winter sale! Thanks Mark.
EAT chip

From Ebay 450.00 with shipping
8-series wheels

From Tire Rack - 360.00
Kumho 225/55/16 HR tires (5)

Took to mechanic who had done my rear subframe bushings last year for 600 bucks.

He added that I needed:
dogbones
trans mounts - these were TRASHED!
4 new rotors - his recommendation - zimmerman cross drilled
oil change
mount and balance tires
oil change and plugs
alignment

He is charging me.....gulp....about 2 grand.....for his parts and labor.

I hope it is all worth it. 140k miles on the car and it needed the entire R&R...
I will let you know how it all turns out as I pick it up tomorrow.

I am one broke puppy and I need a minor lotto win. :p

632 Regal
02-26-2004, 01:11 PM
You gotta pay if you wanna play...

I would do all myself and skip the crossdrilled rotors,

just my 2¢

Good Luck!!

Brandon J
02-26-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't know your situation with available time and wrenching experience, but if you gotta do what you gotta do, then so be it. Even if it means spending 2k on shop work. You will definitely love the new upgrades. Keep us posted...You will definitely be smiling for hours.

I too would skip on the Zimmerman crossdrilled.

632 Regal
02-26-2004, 01:52 PM
I heard the crossdrilled warp easier than the stockers, is that brand specific or apply to all the cross drilled rotors?

bighc2000
02-26-2004, 08:12 PM
I am not a wrencher and am quite busy with work. I am also working on building a house. When I move in, I will try to start working on the car myself. I am not afraid of engine or other minor work but the suspension stuff = forget it.

I do trust my mechanic a lot. He takes the time to invite back into his service bay and will show me exactly what the problems are and his suggestions to solve them. he is slighty pricey i guess but he is convienient and next door to the stealer(Erhard in Farm Hills)

He laid out the pros and cons for all of the rotor options and I picked the Z rotors. I'll have to live with it but can't to try out that EAT chip.

I cannot believe how bad my trans mount was. I will post a pic if he has not thrown out the part.

632 Regal
02-26-2004, 08:51 PM
As long as you are comfortable with your choices then you are fine. Most of us here do work on out own cars and do as much as we can to help each other out. If I was not so financially challanged at the time there are a lot of things that I would rather just have serviced than do myself but it sounds like you have an excellent mechanic to help you out. You will be able to enjoy your 535 a lot quicker than most here and be sure you post the results after you have everything taken care of. Once you do have time to tinker with it we will surely be happy to help you out with any questions you might have.

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

:)