PDA

View Full Version : OT:Graduated, many gifts, need destination for free flight

DanDombrowski
08-08-2005, 07:37 PM
So this past weekend I graduated from the University of Florida with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Only took me 4 years too. This means 2 things:

1 - I need to finally return that modified allen wrench for the rear differential I borrowed from Ryan

2- My dad has offered me a free round trip ticket to anywhere Southwest Airlines flies, as he has many many frequent flier miles built up from his job. I have from now until Sunday off until I start my new job at Pratt & Whitney, but I have to be in Tampa on Saturday for my GFs birthday. So basically, I have a 2 or 3 day vacation to anywhere southwest flies.

I was thinking either a 2 day surfing trip to Cali, go to see the Grand Canyon, or New York. Any ideas for a short trip, or should I just save it for when I've built up vacation time from work?

mattyb
08-08-2005, 07:41 PM
congratulations!

Brian C.
08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
:p

An Official U of F grad huh? Well, congratulations on a successful 4 years, although I think I might of had a bit more stuff jammed in my noggin during my stay in G'ville. I still proudly, though mostly drunkenly, wear my favorite t-shirt that states, (front) The University of Florida (back) The best 6 or 7 years of your life! :p

I'm thinkin' Vegas baby, Vegas! No where else will you find more stuff to do, more babes (Mandalay Bay!!) to look at (sans G/F) and all within a few miles? And 2-3 days is usually about all you can take too. If you stick to the .25ct draw poker machines, you can have a ton of fun for a long time and drink all night for free.

The Grand Canyon would be my #2, but you can do that with the G/F some other time.

Good Luck!

Brian C.

Jr ///M5
08-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Congrats on the M.E. Degree! You could use the frequent flyer miles to fly to Chicago for the Midwest Summer Meet this weekend! =)

Jr

ryan roopnarine
08-08-2005, 08:22 PM
huh

gra-du-ate-d?

eye took AP Spellin', BC in hiaw skool, and i aint never herd of such a thing.

happy/somewhat shamed to see you didn't take the the 5 yr route unofficially endorsed for engineering in the catalogue nowadays. congratulations.

is this the pratt that's in WPB, by chance?

yeah...and old groany's been askin for his key back...he wants a fillup of that smooth, never watered down 75-w140 saudi arabian stuff.

Brian C.
08-08-2005, 08:33 PM
If I had free tix, I'd be there!
:D

Brian C.

Dan in NZ
08-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah go Vegas... You've graduated, PARTY!!!

I'm graduating at the end of the year, can't wait!

SharkmanBMW
08-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I would go to the bimmer meet in a flash!
how could you say no?!?!?!

uscharalph
08-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Congratulations.

Gayle
08-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Vegas would be great for 3 days, but last time I checked it was August there. I was there in June and vowed never to go again in the summer.

I think you should go to the part of San Diego known as Pacific Beach. It is where all the singles hang out and party.

I live a block and a half from one of the best surfing beaches in all of So. Cal. (Cardiff reef) and a mile from Surfer magazine's pick (Swami's).

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=1833+Montgomery,+Cardiff,+AL+92007

I checked with Hubby and he is ok with if you want to sleep at our house. We can offer you a bed, but no company. He and I are both fully occupied this week. You would be totally on your own for entertainment. We may have a car for you. One is in the shop today and another is in tomorrow so we are running abnormally low on cars, so no guarantee. Just sold my surf boards a couple of months ago so no loaners there. It wouldn't be an imposition. If you are interested, private email me. This is probably the only place in the country that isn't hot now.

Gayle

TC535i
08-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Vegas would be great for 3 days, but last time I checked it was August there. I was there in June and vowed never to go again in the summer.

I think you should go to the part of San Diego known as Pacific Beach. It is where all the singles hang out and party.

I live a block and a half from one of the best surfing beaches in all of So. Cal. (Cardiff reef) and a mile from Surfer magazine's pick (Swami's).

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=1833+Montgomery,+Cardiff,+AL+92007

I checked with Hubby and he is ok with if you want to sleep at our house. We can offer you a bed, but no company. He and I are both fully occupied this week. You would be totally on your own for entertainment. We may have a car for you. One is in the shop today and another is in tomorrow so we are running abnormally low on cars, so no guarantee. Just sold my surf boards a couple of months ago so no loaners there. It wouldn't be an imposition. If you are interested, private email me. This is probably the only place in the country that isn't hot now.

Gayle

Didn't realize you guys were that close, Gayle... I live right off the 56, maybe 10 miles south of you or so!

MBXB
08-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Congratulations, Dan!

Gayle
08-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Didn't realize you guys were that close, Gayle... I live right off the 56, maybe 10 miles south of you or so!

I am trying to figure out how many of us are here in San Diego. Jean@MtMiguel is in Chula Vista. I was sorry the timing of the group tint didn't work out so that I could meet some other locals.

DanDombrowski
08-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Wow, I am totally overwhelmed by all the responses. Thank you, everyone.

Yeah, everyone likes to do my degree in 5 years, but from day 1, my parents told me I had 4 years, and after that, I got cut off :). When it came down to 3 and a half years, they assured me that in case I had forgot, they were not bluffing. So I finished up. Still had a great time though.

I thought about Vegas too, but I'm just not one of those gambling people in the sense that if I do gamble, I take it too seriously, try to spot patterns, and get way too upset if I lose money. I really turn it into work.

I think I've made my decision to try and head out to Cali, I've always been a beach person. Now I just have to pick a flight and hope they're not booked....

ryan roopnarine
08-09-2005, 05:09 PM
oh, forgot to mention. i have a stub that was removed from the key when i had it made. if you put it into a 13mm socket, you have an instant allen key. you can have it when you return the allen.

TC535i
08-09-2005, 11:05 PM
I am trying to figure out how many of us are here in San Diego. Jean@MtMiguel is in Chula Vista. I was sorry the timing of the group tint didn't work out so that I could meet some other locals.

There's actually another day happening, because of the popularity of the last one. I'll keep you updated.