PDA

View Full Version : '97 528

boogieman
08-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey, greetings, new to this forum. Not sure if this the correct section, but here goes. I recently acquired a '97 528 i, 80k , one owner, decent enough car. Has a few problems though. Tilt/tele wheel not functioning, power driver seat not working, glove box latch broken (?) and won't open. Where can I find the fuse block to check the fuses? Glove box door suggestions?
The car appears very original, the spare never on the ground,etc. Problem overall, is the past 2 yrs. the car was driven by a soph-junior high-schooler. He got a new Yukon for his senior year. The 528 was then an extra. Anything in particular I should be looking for, besides the obvious neglect the car received?
I'm new to the BMW fold, so I don't have any speciffic insights about potential problem areas.
Any help will be appreciated.

Da' Boogieman

Hallmark
08-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Having said that I know that we can help at least some of your needs.

First, the seat/telescoping wheel thing. This is common and most likely either the switch module on the driver's seat or the ignition switch on the steering column. On mine (a '98 528 that was doing the exact same thing) I removed the left panel at the base of the driver's seat to access the seat switch module. The ears that 'snaps' the connector in place were broken and the connector was loose in the switch module. I used a nylon tie wrap around the connector to hold it snugly in place. The memory seat "talks" to the telescoping wheel through this thing so that fixed all my seat issues.

If that's not it it's likely the ignition switch (not the actual lock cylindar, the switch that goes into it). This is a $45 part from the stealer and can be replaced yourself if you are any sort of mechanic. This switch is responsible for many electrical bugaboos on the E39.

I'm not sure about the glove box latch but, if I recall, the fuse box is in the glove box (had to be, right?).

I'd start by getting a Bentley's shop manual for your series (E39). They're about $100 if you shop around. Use that to do a complete "Inspection II". That will cover most things and get you going good. I'd assume that there was no previous maintence and do everything starting with a complete tuneup. Check BMA autoparts for OEM parts at greatly reduced prices and real cutomer service (sorry, I don't have the number with me).

Welcome to the world of BMW!

boogieman
08-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info HALLMARK. Of course the fuses are inaccessable! The drivers left seat base is broken and the seat switch plug-in hanging. I'll check that area first. Is that "lever" mechanism on the plug a positive latch, or a removal/unplugging device? Either way it's broken! The car presently has the original interior air intake filters so I'm sure not much was ever done to the car. I'll get a manual and check everything.
Thanks again for your help. I'll be back!

Da' Boogieman

Hallmark
08-09-2005, 11:48 AM
The one in front/center has a locking mechanism that uses the lever you see. The other one is the one on the left side that has the seat position switch on the outside. That one is the one that breaks so easily. It has (as I recall) two "ears" that are supposed to snap into the mating connector that the wire bundle goes into. The base that supports those "ears" break fairly easily leaving no tension on the ear. Insert that connector and sinch the ears down and you're back in business (most of the time).

You can get some more help at these sites (but the knowledge base here can't be beat):

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e39/

http://www.bmwtips.com/

http://www.bmwworld.com/repairs/e39.htm