PDA

View Full Version : Haha. Shimmy at 90mph?

liquidtiger720
08-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Haha. So, yesterday I was cruizing around at 90-95 mph...and well...I believe the car had a small shimmy!! I thought it was just the suspension and the road casuing the bumpyness...but, unless slowing down to 75-80 lessons those effects...I sadly think I need to look at my suspension. :(
Maybe I'm just being to critical, and its really just the suspension. Cause I have no shimmy at any other lower speed.

Norcal 5er meet was great btw.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/DSC02969Large.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/DSC02941Large.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/DSC02952.jpg

Jay 535i
08-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Haha. So, yesterday I was cruizing around at 90-95 mph...and well...I believe the car had a small shimmy!! I thought it was just the suspension and the road casuing the bumpyness...but, unless slowing down to 75-80 lessons those effects...I sadly think I need to look at my suspension. :(
Maybe I'm just being to critical, and its really just the suspension. Cause I have no shimmy at any other lower speed.

That's the new National Anti-Speeding Telemetric Yoke, or NASTY. Satellites in space monitor your speed and beam death rays at you if you're going too fast. A slight shimmy is the first sign of your impending demise.

Or maybe not.

Gayle
08-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Who showed up yesterday? Tell us more. Any more pics?

liquidtiger720
08-07-2005, 02:30 PM
It was relatively small compared to last years. Shragon, SCdavid, myself, Keith, and many many more were there. Hats off to Keith for organizing it.

More pictures at.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396472

Gayle
08-07-2005, 02:47 PM
That looks like fun. 104 is really really hot. There are some seriously loved cars there. Did being there infect you with upgrade/modification fever?

liquidtiger720
08-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Lol. Of course. I was PISSED that I didnt have my new shoes on the car.

SC David
08-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I always feel so inferior after meets :(

Haha it was lots of fun. I thought there would be more people though. I guess it was just too hot.

632 Regal
08-07-2005, 07:35 PM
as to your 90 mph vibration, thats an obvious sign of a bent rim or out of round tire.

liquidtiger720
08-07-2005, 07:54 PM
as to your 90 mph vibration, thats an obvious sign of a bent rim or out of round tire.
I can believe that. My rims are pretty fubered. Thank god for new shoes.

632 Regal
08-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Sweet! WHen they going on?

DanDombrowski
08-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Jeff, I'm curious as to why you didn't include an unbalanced tire in that list. Do unbalanced tires not usually wobble at speeds other than 55, or did you just not mention it?

I recently got 2 new tires at Sears (they were running a nicely priced special on Falkens) and crusing on the interstate, I had a vibration from 55 which got worse all the way up to 90 mph and beyond. Took it into a different Sears to have them tell me that either the wheels were never balanced in the first place or they used the wrong weights-the right rear was 1.5 ounces off. WTF? I would think you would have to TRY to make it that unbalanced after mounting a wheel. I mean, I know tire places are notoriously lazy, but this is by far the worst lack of effort I have ever seen. So anyway, my vibration at 55 is gone, but I have yet to take it up to 90 to see if its ok. Just thought I would throw that little side rant in.

liquidtiger720
08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Sweet! WHen they going on?
By the end of this week. Pending recieving my hubcentric rings. :p

632 Regal
08-08-2005, 09:19 PM
If the vibration is above 70 its usually an out of round tire...if the vibration is felt below 50 its balance.... not to say that you wont feel an un balanced tire above 50 but it signiciantly gets worse at speeds of 70-90mph and can sometimes equil out...which means more than one tire is off.

Jeff, I'm curious as to why you didn't include an unbalanced tire in that list. Do unbalanced tires not usually wobble at speeds other than 55, or did you just not mention it?

I recently got 2 new tires at Sears (they were running a nicely priced special on Falkens) and crusing on the interstate, I had a vibration from 55 which got worse all the way up to 90 mph and beyond. Took it into a different Sears to have them tell me that either the wheels were never balanced in the first place or they used the wrong weights-the right rear was 1.5 ounces off. WTF? I would think you would have to TRY to make it that unbalanced after mounting a wheel. I mean, I know tire places are notoriously lazy, but this is by far the worst lack of effort I have ever seen. So anyway, my vibration at 55 is gone, but I have yet to take it up to 90 to see if its ok. Just thought I would throw that little side rant in.

ewidjaja
08-10-2005, 04:00 AM
If the vibration is above 70 its usually an out of round tire...if the vibration is felt below 50 its balance.... not to say that you wont feel an un balanced tire above 50 but it signiciantly gets worse at speeds of 70-90mph and can sometimes equil out...which means more than one tire is off.

Hi... Can Out of round REAR tire be a source of vibration around 90 - 100 mph (140 kph and over) ? My front tires are new, and I chose them very carefully, to make sure it's very very round and straight. However, the old Pirellis P6000 at the rear are really sucks, out of round in just 2+ years (production date : something in 2002 / 2003).

Eri.

Paul in NZ
08-10-2005, 05:50 AM
rears can cause a shimmy wobble vibration...doesnt feel as "direct" as the front....

granit_silber
08-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Josh,

Where'd you order the rings from? Tire Rack wouldn't sell me any.

-ashley

ewidjaja
08-11-2005, 05:24 AM
rears can cause a shimmy wobble vibration...doesnt feel as "direct" as the front....

Yup... The steering wheel isn't shimmy at all, it feels "firm" but the whole body seems shimmy - water surface in the bottle isn't steady..