PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for a winter beater

bjl4776
08-07-2005, 11:46 AM
As the e36 looks like its not going to be ready in time for school, and even if it is Im not looking forward to driving it in the snow. So I have a couple grand to play with on something that is AWD, comfortable at speeds on the highway, decent gas mileage, and a car. And even though its a beater I would like it to be somewhat pleasing to the eye. Im not to worried about working on it, im going to a tech school so none fo that will be an issue as long as I can count on it to start up on a cold morning. Right now I dont have a big knowledge of what is AWD out there but I was looking at Audi 90s, E30 325ix, and a couple of subabrus. Any another ideas or reasons why I should/nt get any of those. Thanks

Kalevera
08-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I would go with the subaru or an audi. Both are deals when bought used because...let's face it...people overlook subarus.

I would not get an E30 iX. Most of the drivetrain is iX specific, even manual/automatic transmission specific... Ergo, while parts for every other E30 are ubiquitous and cheap, it's extremely hard to find iX replacements at a wrecker.

If it were my decision, I'd buy the subaru.

best, whit

TheGeak
08-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I agree with Whit on the subaru. I distrust Audi's (seen too many people have problems with them) but I've NEVER had a subaru let me down. My first car was an 87 Subaru GL, thing ran and ran and ran and ran.....

LMUNick
08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Seriously, a subaru is the way to go. Parts are easy to find and pretty cheap. I had an 82 GL and an 88 Justy in high school and they got me thru the tough Lake Tahoe winters without a hiccup. Hell, I drove the 82 with a cracked head for a couple years-

Tiger
08-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Buy yourself a set of snow tires and save the rest of money for something else.

bimmerd00d
08-09-2005, 05:29 PM
One of our old board members had a Subaru Justy for a beater. We literally beat the hell out of that car and it just kept on going and going.

ukm5
08-09-2005, 06:22 PM
E34 525ix - im suprised no one has suggested it

bimmerd00d
08-09-2005, 10:14 PM
E34 525ix - im suprised no one has suggested it

next to impossible to find in the states.

John in CT
08-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Here in New England such a car would have big rust holes everywhere.....

Check out pre-1993 Saab 900 turbos, back to about 1990. OK, no four wheel drive but still a great snow car. These cars are really undervalued because the repairs are not every shops piece of cake. Well build and strong. The transmission can be an issue, so check maintenance records.

Saabnet.com will tell you everything you need to know, a perfect car for someone with access to technical school auto shop facilities. Be sure to find a non-cosmetically challenged example, but don't worry if the headliner is droopy, easy fix.

Fun cars too,

John

JonE
08-10-2005, 12:08 PM
I agree with Tiger about the snow tires, if your E36 is ready to drive, enjoy it with a good set of Blizzaks on steel rims. I was amazed at how well my 535 did in our MN winters with that set-up. I paid about $350 for the used (1 season on the tires) set with steel rims. A few bucks more for the couple bags of sand in the trunk and was ready to roll!

Qsilver7
08-10-2005, 02:29 PM
I agree with Tiger about the snow tires...I was amazed at how well my 535 did in our MN winters with that set-up. I paid about $350 for the used (1 season on the tires) set with steel rims...
DITTO...$400 give or take a few...will get you a good set of 4 (dedicated) snow tires...that should get you thru any snow other than when its high enough to turn your front bumper into a plow! :D

You'll be surprised what your car can do with dedicated snow tires. I have a set of Michelin Arctic Alpins that I paid about $90 a piece for and they get me thru the Great Lakes area winters perfectly. I traded in my 4x4 truck after the first year with snow tires mounted on my old 1991 735iL. After I realized how well they work...I got rid of the truck and got the Touring and during this past winters 8"-12" Xmas storm (didn't even come close to getting stuck...not even once)...and latter snow/sleet/ice storms...the snow tires worked flawlessly.

Save the bulk of your money for something truly useful and get a set of snow tires if you live in snow country...it will be some of the best money you'll spend. Just as you don't run track in house slippers, don't go hiking in flip flops, and you don't wear sandals in a snow storm...shod your car with the appropriate tire for the appropriate occasion and you'll be grateful you did.

When I open the garage door in the morning to this...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_378_full.jpg

I'm glad the Touring has her Michelin Arctic Alpins (mounted on 16" Style 5 E38 rims) to get me thru it with aplomb...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_41_full.jpg

bjl4776
08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
The problem is that the e36 isnt ready to drive, and I dont know how long it will be until it is able to, so I need something else.

granit_silber
08-10-2005, 08:49 PM
The problem is that the e36 isnt ready to drive, and I dont know how long it will be until it is able to, so I need something else.

I'd take a Subie over an Audi anyday. With the newer Subs ( i mean newer to you 93-on) listen for the bearings in the wheel hubs going bad. Other than that, if you don't over boost the turbo'd engines their alright.

Audi's tend to be more difficult to work on and the parts are more expensive. There are a lot more aftermarket alternatives for the Subaru than an Audi.

Now, all bets are off if you can find a BRAT in good condition. If you find one of those grab it!