PDA

View Full Version : ATE super blue vs. Valvoline

Anton CH.
02-26-2004, 01:05 AM
Obviously theres a big price difference. Is there any actual gain to using Ate instead of the valvoline dot 4 stuff?

mike wong
02-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Ate has two colors of fluid - blue and gold. makes it easier when flushing the system.

Anton CH.
02-26-2004, 02:46 AM
What color is the original brake fluid used in bmw?

DrewZ
02-26-2004, 07:43 AM
For normal street driving, the Valvoline stuff (Synpower, right?) should be fine. I've even used it at the track with no problems.
Drew Zacharda

Brandon J
02-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Please stay away from the ATE blue unless you plan on tracking the car a lot where you change the fluid very often. The ATE blue may turn plasitc components blue. The ATE Type 200 is the same stuff, but w/o the blue color.

Castrol GT LMA is also great stuff. It works extremetly well for performance street cars and is readily available in just about every auto parts store. This is cheaper and still has a high boiling point.

FYI: normal color brake fluid is a clear to bronze tint. The dirtier the fluid, the darker the color. The color also gets darker from the rubber lines and o-rings. However, this isn't the only reason to change the fluid. The brake fluid holds/attracts water and that is difficult to see.

Bill R.
02-26-2004, 10:49 AM
This might help some (http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Brake%20Fluid%20Comparison.htm)

just under 6 locally for the valvoline and i can get the ate for about 8.50
Also I can no longer find the specs for valvoline synpower, they have pulled them and the only thing they now state is the dry boiling point of 500, when the info you really want to know is the wet boiling point and how quickly it loses it... the comparison at this link may help a bit...

DrewZ
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Valvoline SynPower has a higher BP than Castrol LMA. That's why I went with the SynPower after having both bottles in my hands at AutoZone :)

Please stay away from the ATE blue unless you plan on tracking the car a lot where you change the fluid very often. The ATE blue may turn plasitc components blue. The ATE Type 200 is the same stuff, but w/o the blue color.

Castrol GT LMA is also great stuff. It works extremetly well for performance street cars and is readily available in just about every auto parts store. This is cheaper and still has a high boiling point.

FYI: normal color brake fluid is a clear to bronze tint. The dirtier the fluid, the darker the color. The color also gets darker from the rubber lines and o-rings. However, this isn't the only reason to change the fluid. The brake fluid holds/attracts water and that is difficult to see.

Tiger
02-26-2004, 11:41 AM
All info about brake fluids in one page...

http://www.bestbrakes.com/brake_fluid.shtml

Tiger
02-26-2004, 11:44 AM
All the specs including DOT 3 & 4 on a table...

http://www.swedishbricks.com/700900FAQ/Brake%20Fluid%20Comparison.htm

Bill R.
02-26-2004, 11:45 AM
claimed were different than the numbers on the can of ate super blue that I am holding in my hand.. then I went to ate's site and they had the same numbers as I had on the can which is a wet boiling point of 392f not 396

All info about brake fluids in one page...

http://www.bestbrakes.com/brake_fluid.shtml

Tiger
02-26-2004, 01:11 PM
aw come on... 4 degree that much? Generic guidance is enough... especially from a NORMAL Dot 4 fluid... is very impressive...

Anton CH.
02-26-2004, 01:48 PM
So any issues with that Valvoline synpower stuff boiling away?

Tiger
02-26-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't see how unless you are uber serious racer... err... 155 to 0 braker?

JR'Z 525
02-26-2004, 02:17 PM
It just so happened that I bought a can of Valvoline Synpower brake fluid yesterday at the local Auto Zone. Planning on flushing the brake system this weekend...Thanks Anton-nice timing:D

JR in Snowy NE Ga
92 525

DrewZ
02-26-2004, 02:32 PM
I've done about 4 track days in my 4000lb car with Synpower, and have not had any problems with boiling brake fluid. (exploding clutch hoses are another story . . .)

So any issues with that Valvoline synpower stuff boiling away?

Tiger
02-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Well. brake fading is technically boiling... We normally think of water boiling and hearing bubbling noises... Brake fluid is different that heat makes it becomes gas... alot of time, it is the water in the brake fluid that becomes gas rather than the brake fluid itself.

Jeff N.
02-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Hmmm...I think "fade" is a generic term that implies the falloff of breaking performance under extreme conditions. There are a variety of things that contribute to fade including:

- water in the brake fluid boiling
- overall temperature of brake system exceeding brake fluid boiling point
- gassing problems with pads & rotor
- pad compound & temperture problems (such as too much heat carbonizing the compound)

Yeah OK...sorta a nit. Still, good to try to be accurate. Maybe someone has a racing book with a full definition.

Jeff

Well. brake fading is technically boiling... We normally think of water boiling and hearing bubbling noises... Brake fluid is different that heat makes it becomes gas... alot of time, it is the water in the brake fluid that becomes gas rather than the brake fluid itself.

Unregistered
02-26-2004, 07:48 PM
I've done about 4 track days in my 4000lb car with Synpower, and have not had any problems with boiling brake fluid. (exploding clutch hoses are another story . . .)

Is the exploding clutch hoses related to the brake fluid by any chance?
--Anton Ch.

Tiger
02-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Yep... you are right too... 100%... I only spoke of one part.

DrewZ
02-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I don't have any scientific proof of the cause of the hose failure, but my own gut feeling is that it was more of a design flaw. The rubber clutch hose is positioned directly over the exhaust downpipes. Not exactly the best placement, IMO.

Is the exploding clutch hoses related to the brake fluid by any chance?
--Anton Ch.

Tiger
02-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Brake fluid is flammable... and near hot exhaust I can see it exploding if brake fluid leaks out and ignite.

George M
02-27-2004, 10:41 AM
Just wanted to keep this thread alive. Would someone revive the gas price thread?
The pool or the pond...take your pick.
http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/AvatarPic.jpg

George Mann
90 735iL/149k

632 Regal
02-27-2004, 11:23 AM
*bump*

There ya go George

George M
02-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks Jeff.

http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/AvatarPic.jpg

George Mann
90 735iL/149k

632 Regal
02-27-2004, 12:36 PM
I see someone helped you out on the gas price thread too!!