PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace 4 rotors & pads?

Russell
08-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Do you need to replace all 4 rotors & pads at once? I recently (500 miles ago) installed FRONT ATE rotors and Raybestos QS pads. Should I have done so on the rear? I do not think it makes any difference. Just want to be sure.

As expected, my braking is no better than before since my old Jurid pads were not quite worn down to wear sensors.

However, the pedal seems to take a bit more effort and travel than a year ago. This is one reason I changed Front rotors and pads. No change with the new pads. However, minimal dust!!!

FYI, my brake fluid has not been flushed in two years and I know it is due. Could this a factor?

TIA

Kalevera
08-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Do you need to replace all 4 rotors & pads at once? I recently (500 miles ago) installed FRONT ATE rotors and Raybestos QS pads. Should I have done so on the rear? I do not think it makes any difference. Just want to be sure.

As expected, my braking is no better than before since my old Jurid pads were not quite worn down to wear sensors.

However, the pedal seems to take a bit more effort and travel than a year ago. This is one reason I changed Front rotors and pads. No change with the new pads. However, minimal dust!!!

FYI, my brake fluid has not been flushed in two years and I know it is due. Could this a factor?

TIA
Russell -- a definitive YES on the brake fluid change. Brake fluid is hygroscopic: after two years, it will likely have absorbed some H20, which is bad for myriad reasons.

Even on a RWD, close to or actually 50/50 distributed weight car, the rear brakes don't do that much; so, if they weren't worn, no need to replace them.

best, whit

Bill R.
08-06-2005, 02:10 PM
are 50% or so worn then yes the pedal will be higher if you install new rears, as far as the pedal effort goes , did you clean the new ate rotors with brake spray cleaner and then use warm water and detergent on them and scrub them down pretty good? Most brake manufacturers are now recommending that you do this prior to installation on the rotors. If i do this they now seem to bed in much better and have better stopping force right off the bat.. the manufacturers claim that during the maching process small particles are imbedded in the surface of the rotor and scrubbing them down with detergent and warm water will help get the surface that much better and avoid loading the new brake pads with any contaminants.. Raybestos claims that the ceramics require no bedding in but I find that they seem to work better with the usual break in procedures such as you find on other pads...

TIA

Russell
08-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I did part of what you mentioned. I cleaned the rotors with brake spray cleaner. However, No warm water and detergent. The stopping power seems to be getting better and better.

Also, will check the rears next week. I think the rear pads are worn below 50%. They have about 45,000 miles on them and the rear rotors have prominent outer edge ridges. I suspect they are a bit thin. Thanks again.

are 50% or so worn then yes the pedal will be higher if you install new rears, as far as the pedal effort goes , did you clean the new ate rotors with brake spray cleaner and then use warm water and detergent on them and scrub them down pretty good? Most brake manufacturers are now recommending that you do this prior to installation on the rotors. If i do this they now seem to bed in much better and have better stopping force right off the bat.. the manufacturers claim that during the maching process small particles are imbedded in the surface of the rotor and scrubbing them down with detergent and warm water will help get the surface that much better and avoid loading the new brake pads with any contaminants.. Raybestos claims that the ceramics require no bedding in but I find that they seem to work better with the usual break in procedures such as you find on other pads...