PDA

View Full Version : 92 M50 Questions

gtopaul
08-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I was replacing the power steering hoses on my 92 525iT today (self leveling suspension and a bit of a chore) and busted the air cleaner fitting that holds the two small coolant lines. I didn't notice there was a bolt holding the fitting on until it was too late. Question, what the heck does that fitting do? It appears to have a spring inside it so it must have something to do with thermostatically circulating water around the throttle body from what I can see. Of course it's a Saturday and I can't get a replacement so I just put some copper line in between the two small hoses as a loop. Should I worry about replacing the fitting or will it be ok?

Secondly, when I was changing spark plugs a few weeks back I noticed that the coils all appear to be original 92 coils from the dates on them. Do the coils loose efficiency with age? I received a flier from Bavauto today with some info on replacement coils that they sell and was wondering if I should spend the money to update my old coils. My car runs alright but is a bit of a dog at slower speeds (rpms) and hesitates slightly on acceleration. It has new plugs, air filter, fuel filter, cat convertor, 02 sensor, and injector cleaning gas treatment in the last few weeks without much improvement. I'm contemplating either replacing the coils, injectors, MAS as a next step. Speaking of MAS, I noticed that the screen (engine side) is torn somewhat while I was taking it off today. Problem? Oh, the car has 183k miles on it.

Any input appreciated.

Thansk!

Paul L

Jon K
08-06-2005, 12:59 PM
The coolant line has something to do will running hot coolant through the throttle body assembly area to help cold running etc. Something about the throttle body sticking or some ****. I bypassed mine.

The coils will either work or they wont. If you have misfires, then you need coils or plugs etc. They don't really have a half-work situation, that I've ever noticed. You definitely do not want to buy the coils from BavAuto, or you'll be paying a ludicrous amount of money. Check out www.bmaautoparts.com :) I replaced all 6 of mine with Bosch parts.