PDA

View Full Version : Help w/window not working...

RobPatt
08-06-2005, 10:51 AM
... (drivers window won't open)... plan is to first silicone daylights out of it and see... else replace motor/regulator... think switch working because can hear a faint clicking in the door... Bentley 512-3 says to lower the window, is there a manual way w/allen wrench or somthing? Haven't openend the door panel yet. Thanks. Any other recommendation appreciated as well. Cheers, it's Saturday! - Rob.

TheGeak
08-06-2005, 11:06 AM
The window assembly is pretty easy to remove. I just did it (hehe). I did it without lowering the window first (car is in pieces, no power to lower window heh). The door panel is just held on with little clips, go around and carefully pry them out. Then there is some foam padding which again, is just glued in place and can be carefully removed. Then you'll see the window motor and assembly. IIRC the motor is actually RIVITED to the door frame, so you'll have to drill out rivits and replace with nuts and bolts. Also, you can check if its the switch by once you have the panel off and foam removed, disconnect the motor and apply a 12v current (from a battery charger or something) to the motor and see if it operates then.

Good Luck, i'm trying to remember any other tricks I had, but I'm drawing a blank!

RobPatt
08-06-2005, 02:03 PM
...you do remember correctly, it's your assembly I'm going to install (just getting around to a slow weekend :-) )

Your assembly and mine look a bit different, my car is a '93 think you said yours was 92. Near the center of the assembly, to left of regulator I have a round spring, spiraled from small in the center to large outside - looks same as that which is a part of the seat bottom to seat back gear box connection... So yours just has a metal like plug there, while mine has the spring. Your motor works fine, not sure if the regulator is a little off - or it'll work right when installed - so I'm kinda trying to figure out my next step cause I don't want to be stuck w/a window down - it's rained last 7 days straight here! Guess I'll just drill mine out, bolt yours in, and see where I'm at.

cheers,Rob.

The window assembly is pretty easy to remove. I just did it (hehe). I did it without lowering the window first (car is in pieces, no power to lower window heh). The door panel is just held on with little clips, go around and carefully pry them out. Then there is some foam padding which again, is just glued in place and can be carefully removed. Then you'll see the window motor and assembly. IIRC the motor is actually RIVITED to the door frame, so you'll have to drill out rivits and replace with nuts and bolts. Also, you can check if its the switch by once you have the panel off and foam removed, disconnect the motor and apply a 12v current (from a battery charger or something) to the motor and see if it operates then.

Good Luck, i'm trying to remember any other tricks I had, but I'm drawing a blank!

ScottyWM
08-07-2005, 02:50 PM
You did try just holding the switch down and slamming the door didn't you? Sometimes they just jam.

My motor had stripped threads where it connects to the plastic gear housing. I improvised strapping the motor to the housing with a wire clothes hanger very tightly and glued in the bolt. It's held... let's see... probably 4 years now. Cost, $0.00.

RobPatt
08-07-2005, 05:54 PM
...worked for another door and really hoping for = success here...
got lift mechanism out now, motor& regulator separated from eachother... can see broke teeth in old regulator... will just move on. :-) am researching now though if there's a way to fix/adjust a bad regulator. thx, cheers,-Rob.

jmr898
08-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I have a 1995 525i and the drivers window woudln't roll down and I was bummed because the weather was nice and of all window why did it have to be the drivers, LOL so after 2 days of that i tried it again and it was quiet around me so i heard the a click come from the door , so I lightly banged on the glass while pushing the button , only to find it roll down, the window had stuck to the rubber that whole time , I after i cleaned all the window rubber and it never happened again, maybe try this before taking everything apart

emw525E34
08-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Rob,
A quick fix might be the replace the regulator with the one on the rear window. You need the driver side window always. Back seat has much lower priority. I did that for some time before I got a replacement motor. Hope that can less the frustration of banging the daylights off that door!