PDA

View Full Version : De-chroming

Jay 535i
08-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Anyone have any experience with removing the brightwork from the car? I prefer the blacked-out look.

darron525
08-05-2005, 04:57 PM
do a search for shadowline trim

darron

Jay 535i
08-05-2005, 07:01 PM
do a search for shadowline trim

darron

Thanks.

1995 525i
08-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Anyone have any experience with removing the brightwork from the car? I prefer the blacked-out look.
Look it up and you will see a post by me titled DIY shadowline trim. I did it this weekend using the recommended paint suggested by another member and it turned out great. I taped mine off instead of removing the pieces. If i hadm ore time I would have removed them because I feel it would have turned out better.
I also painted my front license plate (which was chrome and looking rough) and re-painted my windshield wipers (they had faded a bit). I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Good luck!

Jay 535i
08-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Look it up and you will see a post by me titled DIY shadowline trim. I did it this weekend using the recommended paint suggested by another member and it turned out great. I taped mine off instead of removing the pieces. If i hadm ore time I would have removed them because I feel it would have turned out better.
I also painted my front license plate (which was chrome and looking rough) and re-painted my windshield wipers (they had faded a bit). I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Good luck!

Thanks.

There was another post somewhere talking about Trimbrite Blackout Tape, which is tape that you just apply to the brightwork. The results looked surprisingly good. Indistinguishable from OEM, in the pics at least. Any thoughts? 'Twould be much cheaper, easier and faster than paint.

BTW, the pic you have up now in your sig is EXACTLY what my car looks like at the moment.

1995 525i
08-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks.

There was another post somewhere talking about Trimbrite Blackout Tape, which is tape that you just apply to the brightwork. The results looked surprisingly good. Indistinguishable from OEM, in the pics at least. Any thoughts? 'Twould be much cheaper, easier and faster than paint.

BTW, the pic you have up now in your sig is EXACTLY what my car looks like at the moment.
I would recomend the paint. It will hold up better and look more like the real thing. THe people who have seen my car don't understand what i have changed since it looks factory. I'll post some pics here in a few minutes. Your car is blue also? I need new rims desperately.

Jay 535i
08-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Your car is blue also? I need new rims desperately.

No, black, but yours looks black in most of those pics :)

Ditto on the rims. Top of my wish list.