PDA

View Full Version : 3.7 install update...

Jeff N.
08-05-2005, 01:57 PM
...got the shortblock back from the machinist on Wedneday. Looks good. Overbore went well. Balanced to the flywheel and pressureplate.

Car's stripped in Martin's garage - we are currently dressing the new block prepping for installation. Big mess. Thank goodness for the new workbench finished on day earlier. A board member gets big kudos for shipping us a special tool needed (you know who you are! THANK YOU!!).

A few local folks have stopped by to check out progress and help.

Small setback last night as Martin took one for the team when the pressure plate slipped and sliced a big hole in his left thumb. He's going to be hobbled for a bit...

With a little luck, should fire it up on Saturday. Pictures when we get a few minutes.

Bill R.
08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
rods,pistons,pins,harmonic damper and pulley, crankshaft as well as the flywheel and pressure plate..?

...got the shortblock back from the machinist on Wedneday. Looks good. Overbore went well. Balanced to the flywheel and pressureplate.

Car's stripped in Martin's garage - we are currently dressing the new block prepping for installation. Big mess. Thank goodness for the new workbench finished on day earlier. A board member gets big kudos for shipping us a special tool needed (you know who you are! THANK YOU!!).

A few local folks have stopped by to check out progress and help.

Small setback last night as Martin took one for the team when the pressure plate slipped and sliced a big hole in his left thumb. He's going to be hobbled for a bit...

With a little luck, should fire it up on Saturday. Pictures when we get a few minutes.

Jeff N.
08-05-2005, 03:03 PM
yes. they balanced the whole motor. not only did they charge me for it but you can see the areas they removed metal. :)

main work done was to verify the block and crank OK, micro polish the crank, rebush and radius the rods, overbore the block, balance the entire assembly, and install the pistons, rods, and crank. we took it from there and have been dressing it with the other parts.

hadn't thought about balancing the pressure plate on the clutch but it makes sense. big chunk of metal. The shop suggested it.

Martin in Bellevue
08-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Spent some long qtips-on-sticks cleaning the headbolt holes. Found the new barrel guides & snapped some pictures.
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/3.7headGasket.jpg

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/3.7gasketOn.jpg

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/workbench.jpg

bahnstormer
08-05-2005, 04:16 PM
what compression are you shooting for?

Scott H
08-05-2005, 04:36 PM
where is the DYNEN EM FREE staying? Sounds like Marteen took TWO for the TEEM....

sorry.....just trying to fit in to the current style of the board :D

Martin in Bellevue
08-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Resrey loves the dynan m3 supacharged convertible. It is great convertible weather here.
I've been driving that minivan lately; hate it.

Robin-535im
08-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Good luck!!!!

That is one pretty motor. You'll need to drive around with the hood off to show the world what you got.

Maybe re-badge to 537i? :)

Robin-535im
08-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Wait a minute... where's the beer fridge?!?!

Paul in NZ
08-05-2005, 06:47 PM
yes. they balanced the whole motor. not only did they charge me for it but you can see the areas they removed metal.

main work done was to verify the block and crank OK, micro polish the crank, rebush and radius the rods, overbore the block, balance the entire assembly, and install the pistons, rods, and crank.

All done By MM jeff?

Gayle
08-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Nice garage and workbench. Makes me think we should have a thread of garage/tool pictures.

You guys who have all the toys should show off what you've got. Inspire us newbies. Be a role model. Make us aspire to have garages/tools like you.

I couldn't start a thread like that cause there is nothing car related in my garage except detailing supplies/tools. I've got every gardening tool imaginable and more kitchen toys than any noncooking person in the state, but my garage is bare...

Jeff N.
08-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Let's see if I can answer the questions...

Compression should equal 10:1. This seems to be accomplished by increasing the cylinder volume (overbore) while not changing the squish volume.

The engine will essentially be a metric mechanic '3700 sport' clone. MM head and cam and their pistons. Did the machine work locally.

I like Gayle's idea about a garage post. Maybe we should have Ed put up a sticky.

Gayle
08-05-2005, 08:42 PM
I like Gayle's idea about a garage post. Maybe we should have Ed put up a sticky.[/QUOTE]

Thinking about it further, put in recommendations about tools beginers should buy. Like if you were going to spend $X to get going, knowing what you know now, what would you buy.

winfred
08-05-2005, 08:59 PM
the starter sets at sears are pretty decent deals in many different price ranges, they have a couple hundred piece set that goes on sale for under $200 that i am thinking of for the house, generally if you can get it for close to a buck a tool for craftsman it's a good deal, under a buck a tool is usually a smoking deal and craftsman will do anything a diy could need, for pro use craftaman screwdrivers and ratchets are not good enough unless you have a few back up units to use till you can go trade em out (it gets old)

Thinking about it further, put in recommendations about tools beginers should buy. Like if you were going to spend $X to get going, knowing what you know now, what would you buy.

632 Regal
08-06-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree with the newer style ratchets, I usually shop them out at flea markets, swap meets and garbage sales. The old compared to new is very obvious.

the starter sets at sears are pretty decent deals in many different price ranges, they have a couple hundred piece set that goes on sale for under $200 that i am thinking of for the house, generally if you can get it for close to a buck a tool for craftsman it's a good deal, under a buck a tool is usually a smoking deal and craftsman will do anything a diy could need, for pro use craftaman screwdrivers and ratchets are not good enough unless you have a few back up units to use till you can go trade em out (it gets old)

Derek A.
08-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Like this:
http://www.opus45.com/pics/bike_work.jpg

Nice garage and workbench. Makes me think we should have a thread of garage/tool pictures.

You guys who have all the toys should show off what you've got. Inspire us newbies. Be a role model. Make us aspire to have garages/tools like you.

I couldn't start a thread like that cause there is nothing car related in my garage except detailing supplies/tools. I've got every gardening tool imaginable and more kitchen toys than any noncooking person in the state, but my garage is bare...