PDA

View Full Version : OT: 1990 Mercedes Benz 300E, Belt Noise?

dacoyote
08-04-2005, 02:40 PM
So one of my coworkers asked me about his "screaming" car. I told him it was a prop a belt noise and talked to him about it for a minute.. then he asked.. how hard is it to change, I would assume that it has some sort of tensioner pulley on it, beyond that any great tricks / location of the tensioner pulley.

Here is his last email to me
<snip>

1990 Mercedes Benz 300E. Strait 6 cylinder (gas)

Noise goes away after a short while. I know it is the belt because the first time it did it I put WD-40 on the belt and it stopped. The next time a cap full of motor oil and it stopped.

Is really loud when it screams.

</snip>

Thanks for the help

-Charles

Tiger
08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Belt would be my primary guess... but at high mileage due to age, I would also say the idler belt pulley (bearing inside) are shot too... along with his belt adjuster shock... About $100 will cover everything.

He has a "nut" to tighten or loosen the belt tensioner pulley... once he loosen that, he can work on everything else with ease. It would be better to move the fan along with the shroud to get to everything easily.

Paul in NZ
08-05-2005, 07:41 AM
aaahhhhh WD 40( in Homer Voice)

Jean@MtMiguel
08-07-2005, 02:17 AM
Belt would be my primary guess... but at high mileage due to age, I would also say the idler belt pulley (bearing inside) are shot too... along with his belt adjuster shock... About $100 will cover everything.

He has a "nut" to tighten or loosen the belt tensioner pulley... once he loosen that, he can work on everything else with ease. It would be better to move the fan along with the shroud to get to everything easily.
Serpentine belt along with a replacement of the tensioner as Tiger stated will be a good cure, I have an '86 300E with the same engine configuration, the difference of the '90 will be the location of the AC compressor that it is sitting on top of the alternator, easy fix with Allen wrench, NOTE: before disassembly draw location of the pulleys/serpentine belt location. Also DO NOT USE WD40 on belts/ use candle as a lubing agent/ will not cause the belt to slip.

winfred
08-07-2005, 09:27 AM
yea if the belts slip on a benz it will screw with the ac and shut it down when the motion sensor on the compressor detects slip

Nick.Hay
08-09-2005, 04:58 AM
Tell him to trash-can it and buy a REAL german luxury car... :)