PDA

View Full Version : ermmmh, just bought another E32 750iL

shogun
08-03-2005, 10:50 PM
My 'wrench friend' Mitsu just convinced me to buy another 750 as parts car. It is a 1991 750iL. Still has a licence plate and the insurance expires end of next month.
AFTER we bought it today, I called my father in law if we can park the car also at his yard, hehe.
Told him just a few weeks till we have parted it. ;)

Mitsu has a problem with his trans on his 750iL and BMW was asking for the princely amount of about 3.000 $ for a new trans. They do not touch it and try to repair it, just replace.
So, for a fraction of that amount we bought the whole car. Only thing missing is the LAD bomb at one rear sus. No problem. Have enough in the other car to install it to drive there for the parting party.
Geeting a little bit tight there now :) My Highline is there for restauration, the first parts 750iL, the second parts 750iL comes now, and in the shack is still the Citroen 2 CV.
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/shogun/750il_delivery.jpg
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/shogun/CIMG2634.JPG

Did I find my dream job?
Shogun the scrapyard dealer :D :p

Kalevera
08-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Haha....Is buying cars becoming a problem for you, Erich?

I'm kina surprised that you're parting it -- still runs and drives, right? :)

If I were in Japan, I'd be buying the motor and parcel shelf (if it has the power sunshade) :)

Good luck, mate.

best, whit

shogun
08-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Yes, it still runs and drives but needs some repairs. The problem here is simple. People in the big cities have to pay for a parking lot between 200-400 $/month. W/o parking lot, no permission to register a car.
People are happy if they get one parking. So if there is a car which needs repair and they do not have the space, they sell it immy and buy a new or used one.
So for this car the same. Some minor probs in my opinion, but may cost bigger money in case of no DIY knowledge and space.
If he keeps the car some months longer to get a better price, he may have lost more money for the parking fee than he finally gets.
And he has no chance to register the new car.
And if I buy it, he does not have to pay the official scrapping fee of about $ 200.

If I only would have more time to work on the cars. Buying is easy and not that expensive, but then.....

uscharalph
08-04-2005, 12:30 AM
I'd love to one day get a garage with enough space for some car and do as you're doing. My uncle's a BMW mechanic and he's been interested in some thing like that. My brother also has a BMW and has been loking for a touring.

shogun
08-04-2005, 01:04 AM
I got the idea from some people on German 7er.com
That started about 2-3 years ago. Someone was asking on the board if people would be interested in area xxxx of Germany to share the cost for renting an empty factory or storage hall for storing their cars for restauration and also to jointly work on the cars, buy equipment together and share the cost.
That worked quite well. Some people from the board now even visit them on the weekends and ask them to repair or help them to repair the cars for small money. This is usually enough to pay for the rent for the building. A car lift can be bought cheap from the market from bankrupt gas stations or others who buy more modern equipment.

So why do you not start such a project in your area? Ask here how many people are interested and then look for the suitable place. Should have possibility to heat the room for winter season for repairs, and also far away from next neighbour so that you can wrench there on the weekends w/o complains.

Just take the initiative.

"JUST DO IT"

uscharalph
08-04-2005, 01:51 AM
I got the idea from some people on German 7er.com
That started about 2-3 years ago. Someone was asking on the board if people would be interested in area xxxx of Germany to share the cost for renting an empty factory or storage hall for storing their cars for restauration and also to jointly work on the cars, buy equipment together and share the cost.
That worked quite well. Some people from the board now even visit them on the weekends and ask them to repair or help them to repair the cars for small money. This is usually enough to pay for the rent for the building. A car lift can be bought cheap from the market from bankrupt gas stations or others who buy more modern equipment.

So why do you not start such a project in your area? Ask here how many people are interested and then look for the suitable place. Should have possibility to heat the room for winter season for repairs, and also far away from next neighbour so that you can wrench there on the weekends w/o complains.

Just take the initiative.

"JUST DO IT"
Thanks Shogun! I think I'll actually start scouting places out.

BigKriss
08-04-2005, 02:33 AM
send a few RHD ones to me.

mattyb
08-04-2005, 09:57 AM
a dream come true, some where to play cars and drink beer all day! shogun do u think that the hydro unit from the 750 is compatible with the m60 of the '93 540i? the real oem site pictures are all the same ans suggests they are. if so i might be interested in buying one from u if you have one to sell that is in good condition, mine is leaking and i cannot afford to buy from the stealer let alone find one in australia. my friend , Makato is is japan every month and would be happy to bring it back for me. i was planning a quick trip to japan later in the year for a weeks holiday while makato was seeing clients in tokyo, maybe pick up them and have a few brews with u while were at it ?

shogun
08-04-2005, 01:20 PM
welcome here. If you come to Tokyo, I can drive with you to our place where the cars are and you can disassemble and take whatever you need for small money. It is 70 km from Tokyo to the Northeast in Mitsukaido, Ibaraki Prefecture, somewhere on the left side of Tokyo Narita International Airport.
You can even stay over night there on the weekend. My father in law has a big house for japanese standard. But you have to sleep on the floor on tatami straw mats :p
I live in the center of Tokyo in Gotanda, near Shinagawa station.
My wrenching partners Mitsu lives about 20 km from my place in Nerima and Mike (from Australia, but he lives +20 years in Japan) south of Tokyo.
I am not sure if the regulating valve fits for the 540, but I guess so. Use the realoem and compare the part numbers for E34 and E32 for that valve.
Here you find a cross section of the valve on my website. it is from a training course paper for German technicians about EDC and LAD
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/edc/edc.htm
Even if you do not understand German, the drawings are good. The valve has to keep a min. pressure of 3 bar and there is an overpressure valve opening at 130 bar, so that the oil flows back into the reservoir tank. And that is the problem on my Highline. Last Saturday I found the reservoir tank overflowing with Pentosin and the rear down. The car sits there since some months and the engine did not run for about 4 weeks as the battery is empty and I have some other things to repair first. Then I started the engine with a cable from another battery, rear went up and tank was at right level just above the strainer. I now check it again after one week and see what happens. So maybe I need the valve from one parts car for the Highline. I wonder if we could repair the valves. Maybe there are only gaskets to change. If someone has a defective regulating valve I would be glad to get it.

As your friend Makato speaks Japanese and comes every month to japan, you have a big opportunity to buy used parts from yahoo Japan. Usually they do not ship overseas and anyway you cannot read it, but he can and order for delivery to a japanese address. He can even order or bid for parts and then pay and can give the seller my address as shipping address. I can sent it then to Australia or he pics it up.
And he should contact my friend Mitsu(yoshi) 750il@infinitier.ddo.jp
in japanese language, maybe he can help him too.
Mitsu has his own repair page http://infinitier.ddo.jp/e32/mainte.htm
Give Makoto this link of E34 parts auctions on Yahoo Japan, about 50 pages at the moment
http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search?sb=desc&desc=BMW+E34&auccat=0&acc=jp&f=0x12&alocale=0jp&mode=2
Bookmark this. Even if you cannot read it, you can see the pics and the prices. Usually they mention a minimum bid price.
Exchange rates are here
http://www.oanda.com/
Poleposition in Yokohama is a repair shop for BMW and they always have used parts
http://www.poleposition.co.jp/framepage.htm
Makoto should register on our E32 club site, we have a wanted-sales section and he can ask the members if they have parts.
http://www.e32station.com/e32clubjapan/
And if he comes this month on 20-21, he can also register for our big seaside party in Yokosuka south of Tokyo.
http://www.e32station.com/e32clubjapan/event/050820-YokosukaSeaSideParty/YokosukaSeasideParty2005-8.gif
We have rented a guest house for the members to stay overnight.

So use the ability to speak and read Japanese of your friend. he can buy the parts for you and bring them to Australia or send them by airparcel.