PDA

View Full Version : how do you remove the "actuator" end of the seat cable?

ryan roopnarine
08-03-2005, 10:39 PM
ill preface by saying that i may have stripped out the actuator (not the motor) on my driver seat, as it seems to only move in a much smaller range than before when i spin it with a drill. that having been said...

a number of people here have said that they changed out the seat cables with units from the dealer. if one looks, however, at the actuator end of the cables (not at the motor), it looks downright impossible to get in there and loosen the ferrule clamping parts down, and even more impossible to remove the actuator. ill ask the simple question first...how do you loosen up and remove the ferrule end of the cable located at the actuator? is it a matter of "start unbolting stuff, and when you've spent an hour unbolting, you're half way there?"

2nd question...how hard is it to remove the actuator if i've indeed stripped it out? it doesn't look at all intuitive to remove, and i've tried a couple of things, to no avail.

if anyone can help, i'd be appreciative, as this is my driver's seat, and it is now fully reclined (have to drive with a cushion to sit upright). thanks.

winfred
08-03-2005, 11:08 PM
the gear box that runs the seat back is a bit of a pain in the ass to change, to change the cable sheath i heat up the end that's stuck into the gear box and pull out the plastic part because it's a pain to remove the normal way

632 Regal
08-04-2005, 06:41 AM
ditto, it IS impossible!

Bill R.
08-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Don Gales seat recline gearbox fix (http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_32.htm)

ill preface by saying that i may have stripped out the actuator (not the motor) on my driver seat, as it seems to only move in a much smaller range than before when i spin it with a drill. that having been said...

a number of people here have said that they changed out the seat cables with units from the dealer. if one looks, however, at the actuator end of the cables (not at the motor), it looks downright impossible to get in there and loosen the ferrule clamping parts down, and even more impossible to remove the actuator. ill ask the simple question first...how do you loosen up and remove the ferrule end of the cable located at the actuator? is it a matter of "start unbolting stuff, and when you've spent an hour unbolting, you're half way there?"

2nd question...how hard is it to remove the actuator if i've indeed stripped it out? it doesn't look at all intuitive to remove, and i've tried a couple of things, to no avail.

if anyone can help, i'd be appreciative, as this is my driver's seat, and it is now fully reclined (have to drive with a cushion to sit upright). thanks.

ryan roopnarine
08-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Don Gales seat recline gearbox fix (http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_32.htm)

i wonder, sometimes, if all gale and sean and johan do is work on their car, because they seem to have repairs for EVERYTHING. i must have overlooked that page of gale's, because i've been looking everywhere for instructions to remove it. thanks bill, and THANKS don.