PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my twisted seat (and learned some things)

granit_silber
08-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Hey All,

I just finished fixing my serously twisted driver's seat!! Now the seat back is straight and timed so that both sides moved together! Although, the fixing of one problem highlighted another. Nowmy seat sits higher than the pass-side andmy head touches the ceiling, argh!

So after 1 trip to a friends house, 1 trip to Lowe's, a dirty sheet (floor covering), and sore fingers I learned some things.

1) I need a remedial Bentley manual - I spent 20 mins looking for the seatbelt height thing on the FRONT rail of the seat

2) No job is ever a 15 min job (I started at 7:15 it's now 10:30--time does include borrowing tools and the trip to Lowe's

3) When the directions call for a torch, use a torch!

4) Always read the directions first!

Whoo-Hoo can't wait for the valve cover gasket I'm doing on friday!!!!!
Thanks for the help!
-ashley

BTW http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/miales/seatcablesfix.htm is where to check first, GREAT PICS!

ukm5
08-03-2005, 09:46 PM
thankyou for sharing those invaluable snippits of wisdom with us, im sure they will benefit us no end.

Kalevera
08-04-2005, 12:01 AM
:)

I just did the cable fix on my new (to me) memory driver's seat. The head rest wasn't working. Took a bit longer since I don't have any 1/4" sockets or an 8mm gearwrench at home, but what can you do.

Now Fritz has a memory seat -- next up is sticking on the mirrors, steering column, and can't forget the pass seat :)

Good luck with the valve cover gasket!

best, whit

uscharalph
08-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Doesn't your seat adjust up and down like mine? The other switch than the one you used for the tilt moves the seat back and forth and adjusts the thigh support higher and lower. It's the horizontal seat adjustment lever.

granit_silber
08-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Doesn't your seat adjust up and down like mine? The other switch than the one you used for the tilt moves the seat back and forth and adjusts the thigh support higher and lower. It's the horizontal seat adjustment lever.

Ralph,

Yeah, it sounds the same it's just not working right. One side of the seat moves up while the other stays put (at one point it also makes a really neat clicking/grinding sound). I actually think I have the same problem with the second set of cables under the seat. I couldn't figure out how to remove the motor to access those cables. It's mounted underneath the lip of the seat and by 10:30 I was pretty tired of dealing with the seat.

I will most likely pull it back out tomorrow after I do my valve gasket and try to shorten the cable housings there too.

My PO had this car serviced at the same dealer from the time he bought to the time I bought it and I am NOT impressed with their level of competence. The cables I repared last night were replaced four years ago to the tune $138 each plus labor and they didn't even put all the bits back correctly!

Anyway, I give ya update soon.
-ashley

granit_silber
08-04-2005, 08:43 AM
thankyou for sharing those invaluable snippits of wisdom with us, im sure they will benefit us no end.
ooo...sounds like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed! :D

StorminNorm
08-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Mine took 2 hours. Twice and its still not straight. I keep over compensating on one side - then the other.

A lighter was sufficient to heat the end to remove it for me.

My problem is that I am 6'3" with bad knees.

Robin-535im
08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
When I did my seats, I went ahead and did all the cables since I had my torch all set up. Well, since I had my box of matches out... :) 6 cables per seat IIRC.

dacoyote
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Good Job... and good luck on the cover gasket, I did mine about 2 months ago....

Not the hijack the thead... but the button that is futher back of the two... the one that leans the seat back and forth.. what is it suppost to do when you press up or down on it... I cannot feel anything change in either seat....

-Charles

granit_silber
08-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Good Job... and good luck on the cover gasket, I did mine about 2 months ago....

Not the hijack the thead... but the button that is futher back of the two... the one that leans the seat back and forth.. what is it suppost to do when you press up or down on it... I cannot feel anything change in either seat....

-Charles

Charles,

If it's the button I think you're talking about it should be the headrest adjustment. That motor and cable is located in the backrest of the seat.
-ashley

granit_silber
08-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Mine took 2 hours. Twice and its still not straight. I keep over compensating on one side - then the other.

A lighter was sufficient to heat the end to remove it for me.

My problem is that I am 6'3" with bad knees.

All I did was take out both cables and insert them (one at a time) into my cordless drill (thanks Whit!) and wound them until each side reached it limit. That way the motor and both cables started from the same point.

-ashley

granit_silber
08-04-2005, 03:52 PM
When I did my seats, I went ahead and did all the cables since I had my torch all set up. Well, since I had my box of matches out... :) 6 cables per seat IIRC.
Robin,

How did you get topmost motor out to get at the cables? That was my big problem.
-ashley

dacoyote
08-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Charles,

If it's the button I think you're talking about it should be the headrest adjustment. That motor and cable is located in the backrest of the seat.
-ashley

Yeah... then it doesn't work....

Not important enough to fix right now....

-Charles

Robin-535im
08-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Robin,

How did you get topmost motor out to get at the cables? That was my big problem.
-ashley

You know, it was so long ago that I don't remember. I do remember that getting to the motor mount bolts was a PITA, even with the seat out.

You can pull the back of the seat off too, might that help?

StorminNorm
08-04-2005, 04:23 PM
All I did was take out both cables and insert them (one at a time) into my cordless drill (thanks Whit!) and wound them until each side reached it limit. That way the motor and both cables started from the same point.

-ashley

BRILLIANT!

Thank you. I will try this.

Qsilver7
08-04-2005, 06:31 PM

-Charles
hmm, no owners manual, huh :D

Note: #5:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_263.jpg

If you can hear the motor running when you push up or down on the button...then it's a real simple fix...here's some instructions: http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_33.htm

dacoyote
08-05-2005, 07:34 AM
hmm, no owners manual, huh :D

Note: #5:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_263.jpg

If you can hear the motor running when you push up or down on the button...then it's a real simple fix...here's some instructions: http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_33.htm

If it's not a Bentley... why even look :-)

Charles

uscharalph
08-05-2005, 02:07 PM
If it's not a Bentley... why even look :-)

Charles
The Bentley doesn't cover everything. There are also good tips and tricks from other sources.

dacoyote
08-05-2005, 02:16 PM
The Bentley doesn't cover everything. There are also good tips and tricks from other sources.

Thats why I read the forum... I lost my owners manual.... and have yet to buy another one or find it...

-Charles

uscharalph
08-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Thats why I read the forum... I lost my owners manual.... and have yet to buy another one or find it...

-Charles
This owners manual probably doesn't cover you exact car,but a lot of it's the same: http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/.

dacoyote
08-05-2005, 03:43 PM
This owners manual probably doesn't cover you exact car,but a lot of it's the same: http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/.

Thanks

-Charles