PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to let me car sit overnight supported

infinity5
08-03-2005, 03:11 PM
by the front tires, if the control/thrust arms are missing? i'm not going to have time to finish the project today (and i'm missing some tools) so its going to have to sit there over night. i dunno if i want to leave it supported on the jack stands dangling in the air.

damn those sway bar links are on there tight.... must be 400ftlbs of torque ;) i've nearly ruined the nuts.. bah! but the control arm bushing bolts came off easy and the steering knuckle bolts are comming off easy enough. haven't attempted the thrust arms yet, but i think i'll have to drop the entire sway bar just to reach them. i really need to go buy a cheater bar.. i think i've put out my back getting that first sway bar link off.

Dave M
08-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Where are your jack stands located? If they're separated nicely under the front crossmember or further outboard, it should be fine. If you want some insurance (and the car is indoors or somewhere safe), keep a floor jack under it as well for the night.

Haven't thought about what it might do to your front end, but it seems like a pain to drop it and have to raise it again (just my lainess).

Best of Luck,

Dave M

infinity5
08-03-2005, 04:30 PM
i have the jack stands under the factory jacking points.. should i move them to the two big black square body pieces that trail off towards the rear of the car or move them to the front cross member? seems like that front crossmember would make them be really in the way.

632 Regal
08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
if you need to drop it you will be fine, just make sure the parking brake is on and dont move the car anywhere.

ukm5
08-03-2005, 07:43 PM
if its safe to let it dangle there while ur heads under it them im sure it will be safe over night, unless of course your expecting a group of toddlers to pop by and start crawling under the car...im guessing not though

Kalevera
08-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Tight sway bar links? It's a 16 or 17mm end, depending on what brand's on the car. There is something holding the inner part, yes?

As to leaving it on jack stands over night....Fritz sat like this for about three weeks, no problem:

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/lowell/The%20early%20days%20of%20fritz%20-%202.jpg

...while his hack owner figured out how to rebuild the front suspension and acquire the parts. Yes, even with the moronic jackstand placement :) And no control arms -- upper or lower :)

best, whit

shapetoshoot
08-03-2005, 07:52 PM
A few year back I had a Volvo 740 on four stands , I came out from replacing the rack because my son, then six , brought me a cup of tea. As I spoke to him the look in his face and his backward steps, told me something was happening. I turned just in time to see the car hit the ground.

The moral: dont use axle stands on soft tarmac(especially if not level) and tea is good for you.

Ian w

infinity5
08-03-2005, 08:16 PM
hehe. thanks guys, espeically lowell. Yeah i left the jack stands under the factory points and then got a block of wood and put the real jack under the front cross member with a little pressure. should be fine. hopfully i can get it togetrher by tomorrow night. have to run to the store in the morning and pick up a tire rod puller and a 17mm socket/wrench.

as of now one sway bar link + tie rod are still on and the TA bushing is still connected, but the CA is free and the steering knuckle is free from the strut housing.

oh and the right tire is still on becuase the idiots at the shop torque it down so much i've nearly stripped the head of the lug nut just getting it free. for the other 4 i litterally had to stand on the tire-iron and jump up and down. tomorrow after my back has recovered i'll try again. no air tools at my house :(

Kalevera
08-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Don't forget that there *should* be a 17mm spanner in the trunk tool kit!

Try a southern cross on the lug nut if no impact wrench is available. I had to use mine yesterday on my mom's minivan -- hack dealer mechanics think they can accurately torque a lug with an impact wrench! You might need to get an air chisel on it if it gets stripped....pray for your wheels in that case.

best, whit

mcorbin
08-03-2005, 08:42 PM
damn those sway bar links are on there tight.... must be 400ftlbs of torque ;) i've nearly ruined the nuts.. bah! but the control arm bushing bolts came off easy and the steering knuckle bolts are comming off easy enough. haven't attempted the thrust arms yet, but i think i'll have to drop the entire sway bar just to reach them. i really need to go buy a cheater bar.. i think i've put out my back getting that first sway bar link off.

I just did the thrust arms and can highly recommend renting the BMW tool from Koala Motorsport. Took about 30 seconds to get each thrust arm ball joint out using the tool, but I've seen posts talking about spending hours getting them off with bars, pickle forks, and pullers that don't fit.

infinity5
08-03-2005, 08:44 PM
i've been using the cross, acutally. If we're talking about the same thing.

My plan is to get a big 17mm socket and a pipe to fit on my 1/2in breaker bar and just give it to it. the little X shaped tire iron is kind of difficult to use. A big problem too is that without the steering knuckle attached the wheel doesn't stay still when you try and turn the bolts... even lowering the car doesnt help too much. i've managed to wedge a ramp under the tire to keep it still.

If i can't get it off i'll have to just not do that side yet and take it in somewhere and have them remove the bolt.