PDA

View Full Version : TV or not TV

shadoogi
08-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi Guys, I'm new to the list have just aquired an 540iLE E34 1996. I want to fit an aftermarket video screen comprising. DVD GPS. and TV I want to intergrate as much as possible with the original Audio system (Alpine).Screen to be positioned down on consul beneath Ash tray. with other bits in the boot operated by Remote. Unfortunately all the information that I have found on the net applies to the E36 or later.My question is can this be done (DIY) any advise would be greatfully appreciated
Gerry

Russell
08-03-2005, 07:12 AM
I just do not understand why you would want a video screen in the front. You cannot/should not watch videos/TV while driving. So why? That said, I sort of understand the logic for Navigation

Not trying to be difficult. I just do not see the appeal for video/TV?

Hi Guys, I'm new to the list have just aquired an 540iLE E34 1996. I want to fit an aftermarket video screen comprising. DVD GPS. and TV I want to intergrate as much as possible with the original Audio system (Alpine).Screen to be positioned down on consul beneath Ash tray. with other bits in the boot operated by Remote. Unfortunately all the information that I have found on the net applies to the E36 or later.My question is can this be done (DIY) any advise would be greatfully appreciated
Gerry

genphreak
08-03-2005, 10:06 AM
I'd do it to have on-the-go read out of the car's ECU and sensor info. Esp if using a piggy back computer. Secret is to recess the screen deep inside an enclosure as the manufacturers do so sun does not prevent you from reading it. Of course the most important use is as a flash-memory based mp3 player... :) GP

BigKriss
08-03-2005, 10:08 AM
talk to Jon K.

Golfdogger
08-03-2005, 10:23 AM
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-N2 nav system where the screen flips back into dash. It has DVD, TV1 and a lot of other accesories. Works beautifully. 91 525i

uscharalph
08-03-2005, 11:03 AM
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-N2 nav system where the screen flips back into dash. It has DVD, TV1 and a lot of other accesories. Works beautifully. 91 525i
Pictures please.

Golfdogger
08-03-2005, 11:06 AM
will post later this afternoon when I take them

Incantation
08-03-2005, 12:02 PM
who cares... it's his thing.

maybe he plans for a passenger to direct him

maybe he wants to get in an accident

maybe he plans to pull over each time he wants to look at the nav screen so he can be safe

etc

uscharalph
08-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I think it'd be cool if it was well done.

GJPinAU
08-03-2005, 06:15 PM
The other thing to be aware of is just recently the Laws-that-be have decided to fine people who have a dvd system that can be viewed by other drivers. So all the people who bought a new Statesman or Land Rover Discovery etc with fold down screens or headrest screens (and probably for that reason) can't keep the kids amused whilst travelling.