PDA

View Full Version : locked out and key won't work manually either

Unregistered
02-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Just tried to get into the car and its like the battery is dead. Its a 535I and it just had a new diehard installed a week ago. There has been some kind of short that has been going on with the door locks for over a year, its somewhere in the trunk, and I can get out of the car and it sometimes locks by itself, or sometimes driving down the road the locks will jump up and down. I don't think that I need to have an exorcism on this model, but then who knows? I guess I didn't need to go anywhere anyway as its raining.
Steve

Unregistered
02-25-2004, 08:07 PM
either... find a small kid that can reach through the wee gap in the boot and shove him through and get him to pop the bonnet, then jump leads on the battery and you're in

or jack up the car and get to the alternator and or any other point of power, cabling close to the battery or something and same as before, hook it up and you're in.

it's a pain in the ass and we have had to do it a couple of times with my 520i but the trouble is my little brother is getting bigger these days and soon wont fit!

the boot should open regardless of power or not, allows you to get to the jack also.

Javier
02-25-2004, 10:39 PM
"
Emergency operation
(In case of electrical failure)
Operating a door lock to the final positions, the corresponding door gets unlocked or locked.
"

I was in the belive, from previous posts, that you get locked out due to a machanical problem with the lock and not a lack of battery power. Now, I don't know what to believe. Is my car manual wrong???

Javier

winfred
02-25-2004, 11:50 PM
behind the left grill you can access the hood latch with a flat screwdriver, hit the right spot with a light twist and it's open

Unregistered
02-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Yes, my manual says you can get in on the passengers side by working the key clockwise while holding the lever up. Well I've been able to actually see a little bit of movement in the lock, very little. Played with that for 20 minutes and decided this is not the answer. Then went up to try to find where to put that flat screwdriver in the left part of the grill to twist the front latch to open the hood like Winfred said. Can't get enough light in there to see where to twist to open the hood. I'm considering lighting the front on fire with gas to get enough light in to see where to put the screwdriver. And can't find anywhere to hook power from the outside to give power to the door locks. I think the whole problem came from the trunk central door locking system that is shorting out somewhere in the trunk, and so I need to find out where that problem normally happens too.
Steve

Unregistered
02-26-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm finally in, I went back to the passenger side door. And by flipping the key real quickly clockwise I was finally able to trigger that door lock. It takes quite a special flip (many try's), either that or you must be of German origin. I could have picked a lock at the bank just as easy.

Javier
02-26-2004, 03:46 PM
I've heard that in the left hinge of the trunk lid is an electrical cable harness, covered by plastic trimming that gets worn out on time and may be responsible for faulty operation of the lock system. I'm sure that there should be something in the archives, you may want to take a look.

Javier
02-26-2004, 03:52 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?postid=7328#post7328