PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Wtf! $585k for a Smart

bondheli
08-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Brabus has takin a $25k smart car and put a bi-turbo v6 in it along with some interior and suspension mods and is charging $584,329 USD! WTF! Have they gone insane??? Plus it makes > 200bhp. Every time I think about it my mind pops a fuse.

http://www.fast-autos.net/brabus/brabusroadster.html

You could buy at least 7 Smarts, have them imported to the US, get them DOT certified, and have them professionally modded to out-preform the Brabus in every way, for less money.

Or you could buy
A New Mclaren SLR MERCEDES-BENZ
1.5 Pagani Zonda's
2 New Ferrari F430's
2 New Lamborghini's
or 5 MB SL55 AMG's
Not to mention a decent house

Incantation
08-01-2005, 03:39 PM
lolol

what an ugly bucket

kyleN20
08-01-2005, 05:14 PM
its not even fast, for a car that light, how can a bi-turbo v6 only put out sub 200 horsepower, and torque, 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, what a dog.

heres a real car

http://www.arielatom.com/04/frames.htm

amazing

Kalevera
08-01-2005, 10:15 PM
its not even fast, for a car that light, how can a bi-turbo v6 only put out sub 200 horsepower, and torque, 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, what a dog.

heres a real car

http://www.arielatom.com/04/frames.htm

amazing
Kyle....

So...

I looked at that thing. Cool idea. But, what happens when you have an accident in it (presumably at track speeds, because that's what it's built for)? I mean, I'd rather have the 911 -- more metal to protect me from dying, even at the expense of a worse power to weight ratio.

My other thought was...2.0 Vtec? Best 4 cylinder in the world? I don't know about any of that, it may be true. But I can imagine what it sounds like. Put a coffee can on the exhaust and.....

I think that thing needs a V8...at least. It'd be cooler if they could figure out how to balance a V12 in there.

best, whit

Nick.Hay
08-02-2005, 03:05 AM
Even so, They would be great amounts of fun. And NEITHER of you guys would pass up a spin on the asphalt in either car, I'm sure!!

I'm a small car guy at heart, always have been. Nothing better than hurling some tiny, well sorted car through some twisty roads!!

shogun
08-02-2005, 03:17 AM
The smart has quite good results in crash tests. Here you can see videos of the various mini cars in crash tests
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/crashtest/mini/ncapmini2.htm

BigKriss
08-02-2005, 04:41 AM
Or you could buy
A New Mclaren SLR MERCEDES-BENZ
1.5 Pagani Zonda's
2 New Ferrari F430's
2 New Lamborghini's
or 5 MB SL55 AMG's
Not to mention a decent house

you forgot to mention the best cars, a Mclaren F1 or a Porsche 959.

bondheli
08-02-2005, 09:23 AM
The last recorded sale for a Mclaren F1 sold at the Christie’s auction in London on Dec. 2, 2003, for $1,257,750. Christie’s sold another F1 for $961,875 on June 16, 2003.

A porsche 959 was for sale in Hemmings Motor News for $595,000.

So both are above the $584k mark. But I think I'd rather have half a Mclaren F1 than a 170bhp Smart.

granit_silber
08-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Oh, come on guys your missing the point!

The point is not about selling this car for 584k it's a freakin' prototype.

The cool thing is what they did. Putting two I3 engines together to make a V6 with 170bhp(what's the difference between BHP and HP BTW)! This was an exercise (albeit an ugly one) in engineering.

-ashley

bondheli
08-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Brake horsepower (bhp)

Brake horsepower was a term commonly used before the 1970s in the United States, and is still common in the United Kingdom. It indicates the brake, the device for measuring the true power of the engine. Stating power in 'bhp' gives some indication this is a true reading, rather than a calculated or predicted one. However, several manufacturers started to strip their engines of essential ancillaries for the purposes of getting a high horsepower figure to use in marketing the car.

(in other words); Bhp and hp both mean the same thing, just the 'b' clarifies that it was measured with a brake dynamometer.

Not even if I were a billionaire and thought the car was perfect, would I buy the Brabus Smart. I would have a regular Smart imported and have the work done here, and save myself $400k +

Pofke13LT
08-02-2005, 10:42 AM
that thing looks sweet, but the interior is a total failure... Looks almost like a highly modified CRX.... I think they might have asked someone at Fisher-Price to design the interior.. ;)

kyleN20
08-02-2005, 03:25 PM
cool idea, thats all you have to say, this is faster then a carrera GT, faster then a ford gt, 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, needels says its the fastest car he has ever driven, and hes driven a mclaren f1, watch the top gear episode on it, it is in the press section of the website. they race it around a track agnist a honda 600 RR, and it takes it big time. i myself fell in love with the car the first time i saw the video. id say its more then a cool idea, its a 40 thousand dollar reveloution. its the best idea iv heard in a while. consider that you spend 40 thousand on buying a nice SUV, now consider you dont spend it on a SUV but instead one of the fastest street cars of all time.

get what im saying

:)

Kyle

granit_silber
08-02-2005, 03:40 PM
this is faster then a carrera GT, faster then a ford gt, 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, they race it around a track agnist a honda 600 RR, and it takes it big time. i myself fell in love with the car the first time i saw the video. id say its more then a cool idea, its a 40 thousand dollar reveloution. its the best idea iv heard in a while. consider that you spend 40 thousand on buying a nice SUV, now consider you dont spend it on a SUV but instead one of the fastest street cars of all time.

get what im saying

:)

Kyle
And spend 40K on a car that most people wouldn't be able to insure, can only be driven on sunny-warm days, carry a maximum of two people, and be one of the quicker ways to die. No thanks!

I'm sure it's a fun car. In fact I have no doubt it's an absolute blast to drive, but I don't have a track featuring a controlled environment in which to drive this thing. I'd give it one week on open roads before 1 of two things happen
1) it get stolen or chopped
2) the driver gets into an accident or dead

Don't mean to rain on your parade.
-ashley

Qube
08-02-2005, 08:14 PM
There was a good look at this one on Top Gear a while back.