PDA

View Full Version : Rant- why did they make the microfilter so freaking difficult to replace?

ScottyWM
07-31-2005, 09:11 PM
I think that it should be a free service to get it replaced at any BMW shop - just to send them a message. If it has to be changed regularly, make it easy to service!! And I've done it before, know how to do it, but it's still a PITA!

Thanks, feel better now.... Will go sit in the vastly improved air flow and chill.

Jon K
07-31-2005, 09:26 PM
I think that it should be a free service to get it replaced at any BMW shop - just to send them a message. If it has to be changed regularly, make it easy to service!! And I've done it before, know how to do it, but it's still a PITA!

Thanks, feel better now.... Will go sit in the vastly improved air flow and chill.

I really didn't think it was all that hard.

Bill R.
07-31-2005, 09:30 PM
I really didn't think it was all that hard.

liquidtiger720
07-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Ditto. I mean...if I can do it...then a toddler can do it.

rickm
07-31-2005, 09:57 PM
The first time stunk, the second time was easy. The third time was even easier. :D

The easiest filter change I had to do was in my wife's Volvo 850 - the filter was on the passenger side on the cowl, it wasn't a factory install but was an option you could buy. Took 5 minutes for the initial install and 2 minutes afterwards to change the thing.

Gene in NC
07-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Why did they put in a microfilter in the first place? Just one more useless piece of crap in the "modern" car.

Jon K
07-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Why did they put in a microfilter in the first place? Just one more useless piece of crap in the "modern" car.

so people who pay original sticker of $45k don't have to breathe in pollen.

Mobius
07-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Why did they put in a microfilter in the first place? Just one more useless piece of crap in the "modern" car.Good god - the microfilter is one of the greatest features of my car!

Have you seen the **** it filters out? Not to mention that it keeps all that crap from clogging the fins of the heater core and such.

I thought it was pretty easy to change, too. The worst part was just finding it for the first time.

Dan in NZ
08-01-2005, 12:17 AM
In the E34 it was more of an afterthought, they only put them in 91-onwards. You might notice that on the E39, it's just a five minute job to replace them, they're right near the intake.

billb
08-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Scott
'93 525iT
'93 3i8is

Hooray! Let me know if you ever need a hand on the E36!!! Congratulations!

rickm
08-01-2005, 07:07 AM

Gene, do you dislike BMWs that much? You seem to have some issues with the features on this vehicles. They're not Geo Metros.

Qsilver7
08-01-2005, 08:44 AM
For those who suffer with seasonal allergies and other respitory maladies...find these microfilters a God-send. Be thankful that you're a healthy individual that doesn't have to suffer through these "inconveniences".

The e38 has two sets of filters...a pair of microfilters under the hood (easy to change)...and a set of recirculation filters under the dash on each side (difficulty rating about the same as the filter on the e34). :(

Many dealers "conveniently" forget and many owners don't know they are there until the air flow velocity goes way down...then find out that the recirculation filters are severly clogged. (see pic below of how much gunk the pick up). After seeing how much stuff they capture...its hard to see why anyone would not like them. :D

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_245_full.jpg

This is how the 2 smaller recirculation filters look when new...very white...and in the pic above you can see how filthy they can get. Yuck!
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/R206063687OES.JPG

bimmerd00d
08-01-2005, 08:45 AM
1st time is a bitch, after that it's cake.

bimmerd00d
08-01-2005, 08:53 AM
It's the little things about this E39 that im beginning to love. It has 2 separate microfilters that are easily accessible under the hood. snap one clip and it comes out.

ScottyWM
08-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Wait a minute here... how young are all you guys! Of all the do-it-yorself repairs I've done on this thing (which have been many), this is one of the worst for how hard it is compared to how hard it should be! (Another bad one is changing the headlights - shold be simple, end up taking the whole front end trim off the thing!)
1) remove the glove box. Not hard at all, but stupid to have to do just to change a filter.
2) 3 screws to remove the cover over the glovebox. Again not hard.
3) remove the carpet piece. No problem still. But I am starting to get a neck cramp.
4) Remove the air duct. Drop at least one of those screws into the bracket. Find wire to fish out the screw. Bitch and moan about why it won't fall all the way thru to the floor.
5) Take break - stand up to let knees gain their feeling back.
6) Thank God that none of that plastic ductwork cracked pulling it out.
7) Stick my head way back in there to find just the right location. Un-snap that box looking thing with the 3 groups of wires and pull that out. Of course I'm old enough that my eyes are completely unable to focus at this proximity - with or without my bifocals.
8) Take off the cover.
9) Try to pull out the filter without all the crap falling all over the car.
10) Get the vacumm out to clean up all the crap. Stretch legs.
10) Remove and replace the filter without buggering up the cooling fins any more - which had already been done by the PO or the dealer. Still the filter doesn't even pull out straight, you have to 'bend' it past that big box thing.
11) Re-assemble. Hope that the airduct engaged properly.
12) Marvel at how dirty the old filter was and what a big difference the new one made.

Just think it should of been easier.... Still love the old gal even with her faults.

LMUNick
08-01-2005, 12:06 PM
I just changed mine yesterday. The hardest part is trying to get my spine to fold backwards. Thats my only gripe...But god, what a difference afterwards. Its also a great triumphant moment when you vacuum out the 1/2 pound of leaves and dirt from inside the housing.

And I love the feel of the cold air escaping when you pop off the cover.

One question- anybody figure out how to stop the foam from tearing on the filter when you slide it in?

Bill R.
08-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Wait a minute here... how young are all you guys! Of all the do-it-yorself repairs I've done on this thing (which have been many), this is one of the worst for how hard it is compared to how hard it should be! (Another bad one is changing the headlights - shold be simple, end up taking the whole front end trim off the thing!)
1) remove the glove box. Not hard at all, but stupid to have to do just to change a filter.
2) 3 screws to remove the cover over the glovebox. Again not hard.
3) remove the carpet piece. No problem still. But I am starting to get a neck cramp.
4) Remove the air duct. Drop at least one of those screws into the bracket. Find wire to fish out the screw. Bitch and moan about why it won't fall all the way thru to the floor.
5) Take break - stand up to let knees gain their feeling back.
6) Thank God that none of that plastic ductwork cracked pulling it out.
7) Stick my head way back in there to find just the right location. Un-snap that box looking thing with the 3 groups of wires and pull that out. Of course I'm old enough that my eyes are completely unable to focus at this proximity - with or without my bifocals.
8) Take off the cover.
9) Try to pull out the filter without all the crap falling all over the car.
10) Get the vacumm out to clean up all the crap. Stretch legs.
10) Remove and replace the filter without buggering up the cooling fins any more - which had already been done by the PO or the dealer. Still the filter doesn't even pull out straight, you have to 'bend' it past that big box thing.
11) Re-assemble. Hope that the airduct engaged properly.
12) Marvel at how dirty the old filter was and what a big difference the new one made.

Just think it should of been easier.... Still love the old gal even with her faults.

ScottyWM
08-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Hooray! Let me know if you ever need a hand on the E36!!! Congratulations!

It's not perfect by any means. But it'll be nice for my daughter once she gets her license - and in the meantime I can drive it and save on gas money! In fact it looks like its had kind of a hard life. But the maintenance has been done pretty well, and the miles are good (124,000). New radiator, headliner, mass air, etc. Work done at Shade Tree Garage. Couldn't find anything mechanical bad about it except a pretty nasty pull to the right. It looks like the PO had an alignment done, but the Firestone Place used specs for an E30! Don't know if this caused it, but the tires show uneven wear and will have to be replaced next year anyway - so I'll get it looked at.

It does need some body & interior parts to get it looking real nice. Does Brett have any E36s? It's alpine white with blue leather.

I'll have to get you over to take a look at her some day!

shapetoshoot
08-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Try doing a RHD car , just the same but you have to hold the clutch and/or brake pedal down, with your shoulder ,throughout the process, easy!!

Jean@MtMiguel
08-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Hi GRANDPA!!!, we might be in the same boat, aching back, moaning and groaning and the satisfaction and pride that we know our Bimmer is getting it's Tender Loving Care.

Alan_525i
08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I might be opening a big can of worms here, but for those of us that don't have one, is it possible to retrofit it easily? I like the idea of my heater core staying somewhat clean.

EonPeon
08-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Hello all,

I have a RHD E34... does this mean I'm in for a nightmare job to replace the microfilter?

Is it not accessible from the passenger side?

Ian

LMUNick
08-04-2005, 02:33 PM

Ain't this the truth. And, oh, the joys when those little bastards get cocked sideways inside the bracket-

rickm
08-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Ain't this the truth. And, oh, the joys when those little bastards get cocked sideways inside the bracket-

I put a dab of sealant on the end of my screwdriver. Well, started to after I lost one of the screws and it rolled around for a bit before finally finding somewhere to lodge itself. :P