PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean M20 rocker cover?

E34-520iSE
07-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi! I have another M20 head & rocker cover here, taken from an E30. It is absolutely fithy black inside. I have tried cleaning it using engine degreaser and a high PSI water jet, but had no luck. It took most of the factory wax stuff off the outer edge only. Anyone have any ideas what to use to get it clean internally, just like the one on my car? Would brick cleaner do any harm? I intend to clean the head up, fit new seals etc and replace my current slightly tired head.

Cheers,

Shaun

Zeuk in Oz
07-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Dishwasher ? :D
Current ad for dishwasher in Oz shows a shiela getting upset with a bloke for washing his rocker cover and a spanner in the dishwasher.
If it fits, I wonder if it would work ?

E34-520iSE
07-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Errr no! It's 3 months old - all my plates will smell of oil. I know oil's in my blood but I don't want it in my food too! LOL. It would fit though, and the cyl. head too - Indesit's are pretty big inside. Nope, more suggestions please!

Cheers,

Shaun

Gayle
07-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Think I read in old posts to use oven cleaner, but don't trust my memory. Did you do a search?

Kalevera
07-31-2005, 08:26 PM
If you can unbolt the PCV plate (ie, it's not riveted into place), you can use a bead blaster on it. Any machine shop should be able to do the work for you at a nominal cost. The problem with having a riveted plate is that sand from the blaster can get into it, and it's difficult -- if not impossible -- to remove the sand from that area if you can't get in there to begin with. Leaving sand in there...well, you know what can happen.

best, whit

Gene in NC
07-31-2005, 10:18 PM
If the crap is bonded, it's bonded. There must be something else unpleasant in your life that you have pushed down in your memory. Do the same with this and fignore it, the engine will.

E34-520iSE
08-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Nice piece of philosophy there Gene. If all else fails then I'll give up. Sadly Whit, the PCV baffle is rivetted in place, so I guess I'm gonna plan a brick cleaner/oven cleaner/battery acid attack.

Thanks for all your replies - greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Shaun

brodee
08-01-2005, 09:19 AM
The castrol purple cleaner (super clean or something like that) worked on my m20 cover. Took off the cosmoline on the outside and the black grime on the inside. Then I sprayed on some Harley krinkle paint and buffed off the logo. Since then I bought a bead blast cabinet to do tasks like this.

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/325is/Engine/normal_engine14.JPG

LMUNick
08-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Good call- castrol purple is great after you really let it soak. I also use these little 3M pads. I can remember the name- they are about 2.5 - 3" in diameter, dark red. I use them on a little pneumatic buffer. Just a thought-

brodee
08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Good call- castrol purple is great after you really let it soak. I also use these little 3M pads. I can remember the name- they are about 2.5 - 3" in diameter, dark red. I use them on a little pneumatic buffer. Just a thought-

You can spray on the catrol really thick and let it soak, then just use scrotch-brite pads by hand. May have to do it 2 or 3 times.