PDA

View Full Version : shocking discovery!

Paul in NZ
07-31-2005, 01:56 AM
We all know(dont we?) that the wiring on the LH boot hinge is prone to damage.Due to my locking woes I thought i had better start with the obvious.
The right rear foglight (on the boot lid) only works when the boot is open,everything else seems to work normally,ie locking and unlocking from boot and boot always is same lock staus as car.
Lie down in the boot and with a sharp knfe carefully slice the tape wrapping the loom after releasing the "zip tie".Despite several attempts to undo it i finally snapped it trying to pry the little plastic lugs back.I was confronted with gliittering copper wire.There are 19 wires in that loom and one was completely broken and at least half have have severe insulation damage..\It is a stupid piece of design or assembly.The loom is tied to the parcel shelf,and less than two inches(if that) from the last cable tie it is tied to the boot hinge with a hard plastic sheath.The proximity of the hard plastic sheath to the last cable tie means the wire is bent and twisted every time the boot is opened.Yours will all be the same!

Gayle
07-31-2005, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the post. I have a lock issue and thought from Ralph's post that those wires were a likely culprit. Didn't quite know what to do to check it out. Thanks for the inspiration.

Paul in NZ
07-31-2005, 02:12 AM
Get in there and check it out.Hopefully you can repair yours just by taping up the damaged insulation.When you put it back together leave of the sheath and tape or tie the loom to the hinge,and or leave of the last one ot two ties on the parcel shelf

uscharalph
07-31-2005, 02:38 AM
That hard plastic sheath seemed to be the culprit on mine. It had a sharp edge to it, so we trimmed about an inch and a half off and used a zip tie to keep it in place.

Dan in NZ
07-31-2005, 03:48 AM
Good to see you've solved your lockig problem!

Also note my E34 is for sale if you know anyone wanting one. Want about 6k for it.

Paul in NZ
07-31-2005, 04:26 AM
havent fixed it yet but hoping i have found the problem!

2fast
07-31-2005, 04:31 AM
Yip same thing happend to me ,my boot light would only come on halfway,when it was fully up the light would turn off I ran my hand along the wires and it would go on I open the wires **** there were 7 cut some only hanging on by one thread.
Got that fixed up awhile ago but I was shocked to see that much damage.

Must be a common thing with these car's

Javier
07-31-2005, 10:27 AM
on the lock issue!!!!

Javier