PDA

View Full Version : M50 Belt diagram please

Jon K
07-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Saw request for M60 diagram, Bill if you have M50 I would love to see it, thanks.

Also, think that it matters if an alternator spins backwards? I.e. say the belt route had to be changed such that the alternator spun reverse direction, should still make power right?

ryan roopnarine
07-31-2005, 12:30 AM
Also, think that it matters if an alternator spins backwards? I.e. say the belt route had to be changed such that the alternator spun reverse direction, should still make power right?

of course it will still make power fine. it will be dead within 2 months because of the cooling fan running in the wrong (backward direction), but it will make power well up to that point....IIRC, it might make SLIGHTLY less power if you run it backward because of a slight lessening of tension on the brushes when the commutating surfaces are running the other way.

id probably take the alternator to an auto electrician and have them inspect the mechanism and see what the story is WRT your fan(s). im looking here for a picture

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/electrical/boschaltrepair.htm

if you have a two fan unit (i don't know what's in your particular car), you might be able to switch the fans from top to bottom and reverse airflow. or maybe the auto electrician can find you a blade that works in the reverse direction, i have no idea which. but i wouldn't run it backwards longer than needed for testing.

Bill R.
07-31-2005, 10:16 AM
look it up in there. As far as the alternator i would agree with Ryan and try to find a fan blade assy for it that is for reverse rotation

Saw request for M60 diagram, Bill if you have M50 I would love to see it, thanks.