PDA

View Full Version : Drive for Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation

rockyfeller
07-30-2005, 03:17 PM
I went for "Drive for a cure" yesterday and all of you MUST MUST MUST attend!!! The goal is to raise money for breast cancer research. You choose a vehicle, take it for a drive and BMW will donate $1 per mile to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. I felt like it was a dream! It was more fun than I've had all year. I had a headache by the end of the day from my sustained raised blood pressure. It was a dream come true; 10 BMWs, got some cancer education and an oppurtunity to donate, talked to our mayor for a bit, even got free food! I could do this for days on end! I drove the new 3 series, a E46 330ci convertible, 6 series convertible, a 545i, 750Li (facelifted), a Z4 3.0, an X5 4.4 and a X3....All on a 15 mile course at speeds not legal to mention (I'm a careful driver wary of family drivers and cops). There was no excessive lines and no passenger salesman yapping and no sales pitch but what genius; The whole thing is for breast cancer research and they have a guaranteed in love customer for life! I was surprised by my end tally on the best cars. Here's how I rated them (on all factors but mostly "fun to drive" :

1. 545i (Near faultless. brutal speed...an M5 goes faster!?!? )
2. 750Li (Hate I-drive and gear-shift lever!! Felt a little "old-man" but 100% luxury effortless stressfree, quiet, superfast, best suspension bar any car )
3. 6-series convertible (Not too crazy about front-end styling and this car is overpriced but love that exhaust sound! Nothing like a German V8 with dual exhaust. Solid, sexy car. Turns heads. Great torque )
4. Z4 (Underpowered, little harsher suspension but OK. Pure BMW handling, tracks like a go-kart, cuts like a knife, awesome exhaust boom at 1500-2500 rpm )
5. E46 330ci convertible (Has notable cowl shake, but has got that beautiful exhaust note again...cheaper than others with top-down motoring )
6. 2006 325i- Improved over the E46 but by not much. Rear end styling is Jappyuck. Car definitely needs low end power. Only comes alive past 4500 rpm. Car handles perfect. Brakes can't get better .
7. X5 4.4 - Most dated design of all the vehicles. Driven the 3.0 before and this has much more power. Handles great at high speed and dosen't feel top-heavy like other SUVs. I'd take this over an ML any day, but I'd take a Cayenne over an X5
8. X3 3.0 - Well made up to BMW standards but (yawn!) almost fell asleep driving it. Basic vehicle, gets the job done. Has adequate power, OK handling and braking and space....but with that it'll trump the competition in it's segment.

So there you have it. They remain legendary cars with an edge only others wish they could emulate. If only I could forgive the interior/exterior styling I'd swear by them and only buy BMW. (Mercedes has the edge on styling nowadays.) But when it comes to performance, handling and fun to drive, nothing can touch em .

uscharalph
07-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a fun day!

RobPatt
07-30-2005, 07:05 PM
...not just for the 15 minute cruise.... If you get w/the folks you signed up with, and ask, YOU can be a driver to help ship the fleet of silver Bimmers with those cute tittie pink bows on the hood to the next "drive for a cure" location. I rolled in 3 digets in the 330ic, top down, driving (like it was stolen) from Ft. Walton Beach to Tahallassee a few months ago on a Friday night. It was awesome. About 19 bimmers or so, all just motoring on down the highway, then playing leapfrog. Whatever car was in back moved into the left lane and zoomed up to the front, new last car repeated... so everyone got to open them up a bit. And raise money for breast cancer research. Guess my little jaunt raised about $200. Then they bought us pizza and put us on a nice bus, watched videos and rode back to Ft. Walton Beach. Very cool, glad you also enjoyed!

Paul in NZ
07-30-2005, 07:37 PM
so ,you drive some cars and are expected to make a donation....equal to BMWS $1 per mile or what.....??
Ahh the 545 i wonder if that engine........its a m60 something right,with a 6 spd auto????

Qsilver7
07-31-2005, 10:04 AM
so ,you drive some cars and are expected to make a donation....equal to BMWS $1 per mile or what.....??
Ahh the 545 i wonder if that engine........its a m60 something right,with a 6 spd auto????
The "Ultimate Drive" campaign raises money for breast cancer research ... the only thing expected and required of the participants is to drive the car to rack up mileage. BMW NA is the only one "donating" money...as a participant...you only donate your time. ;) It's a win/win situation...raising money for cancer research...and getting to "test" drive some of BMWs finest cars! :D :D

As a participant you get:
1. free food (always a great little spread set up)
2. info about breast cancer and usually someone locally is honored or brought in to do a small ceremony
3. opportunity to drive (your choice) a BMW from two seperate fleets traveling the country. There are no sales people bothering you etc...just pure unadulterated joy of driving...for a good cause.

Click the following link for more info...and there's a link on the left side to see the route...you can see if the event has yet to come to your area...and you can register to reserve a time: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/eventsandprograms/udsk/default

TheGeak
07-31-2005, 10:18 AM
I just registered for Sept 2nd out here in State College PA. Gonna drive a Z4 and a 545i. This is gonna be sweet!

Qsilver7
07-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I just registered for Sept 2nd out here in State College PA. Gonna drive a Z4 and a 545i. This is gonna be sweet!
Cool, if the Z4 is equipped with the "SPORT" button on the center console...you gotta use it! It transforms the driving dynamics of the car! :D

The last 3 years...my local BMW dealer didn't sponser the program...so I drove 2 hours away up to So Bend IN (Basney BMW)...I'd take off the whole day the years that the "DRIVE" was mid week...and drive as many of the cars as I could. Basney has done the drive for each year the Drive has been sponsered and is well supported locally. It actually took all day to get through the whole fleet. But you get to hang around, eat, drink, and talk to fellow BMW enthusiast...many of them are none owners...but still love the marque. :)

This year...it looks like my local dealer is sponsering the drive...its on a 10/12/05...and I've already put in to take the whole day off. I may even sign up to drive one of the cars to the next destination!

If you get a chance...you should try to take the 645Ci (convertible) out for a drive...last year it was the one that put a perma-smile on my face. I'm still not a real fan of the way it looks...BUT...OH-MAH-GAWD...what a driver's car! Just thinking about the sound of that burbling exhaust note has put a smile on my face as I type! :D

Here's a pic of the "Ultimate Drive for the Cure" fleet at Basney BMW (I think I took this pic in Sept/03)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p3118cafb532d1898c57e6722b48610f2/fb27bf1b.jpg

TheGeak
07-31-2005, 11:15 AM
Yeah, i'm taking the whole day off and going out there. I only "registered" for those two, so how does this work? I've never done this even before....do you get to drive more if all the time slots don't get booked?

Gayle
07-31-2005, 11:37 AM
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EventsandPrograms/UDSK/UDSKMap.htm?showregistration=1

So help me understand this map. Are the dots connected by cities the test drive fleets have already hit and the unconnected dots ones they having hit yet? If so, only those in the upper mid west still have a shot at this.

Qsilver7
07-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Yeah, i'm taking the whole day off and going out there. I only "registered" for those two, so how does this work? I've never done this even before....do you get to drive more if all the time slots don't get booked?
There'll be a staff of young colleg kids (lucky dogs) that will be there taking down your name and registering you. They also have the list of "registered" folks,too. When you get there, just tell them that you'd like to drive the other cars too if/when there's no one scheduled. It won't be a problem. Just be ready/flexible to step down if the "registered" folks show up.

There will be a map in the car...and the route will be marked with signs as well. Just remember the cars you've driven...cause after a long day...you can begin to forget..especially if they have several versions of a model. All the cars should have a number on the back of them. They have a predetermined route for you to drive. That's how they know what the mileage is...so be careful if you "go way off route"...I've seen them tell people, "thankyou for you participation, and have a nice day"...as they got the keys back from them after returning over an hour later. Last year, one lady took the car to her job to show it off...then to her husband's job...which was very rude and inconsiderate since there were people waiting to drive the car and it was near the end of the day.

If it's near the end of the day and you haven't had a chance to drive everything you wanted...if you feel comfortable with someone else who's been there all day too...see if you guys can "share" a ride...and you can pull over during the route and switch. This happened to me last year...the 645Ci was out of commision during the 1st half of the day ... it needed new brake pads and they didn't have any in stock....so Basney eventually took pads off one of the sixes they had on their lot...and put it on the Ultimate Drive 645. (really great dealership!) There was a local South Bend policeman that I recognized had been there the last 3 years and we conversed over the afternoon...we both had been waiting to drive the 645...and it was near the end of the day...the 6 was going out for the last time and it was his turn...he said, "come on man...you've been waiting all day, too"...I didn't hesitate...and like I've said before...the 645Ci was my favorite last year...and it helps knowing that you've got a local "constable" riding in a very fast car with you (I'm still smiling thinkin' about it!). :D

Qsilver7
07-31-2005, 12:18 PM
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EventsandPrograms/UDSK/UDSKMap.htm?showregistration=1

So help me understand this map. Are the dots connected by cities the test drive fleets have already hit and the unconnected dots ones they having hit yet? If so, only those in the upper mid west still have a shot at this.
perhaps the map hadn't completely downloaded for you...the Drive kicked off in New Orleans this year...and there are two fleets...one for the east (pink lines) and one for the west(blue lines). The lines that connect the dots indicate the next city...if the lines are bolder...it means the Drive has already been there. If you click on the certain areas of the map (for instance where you live) the map will highlight that region...and if you click on the dot, it will indicate the date and dealership that is sponsering the event.

Gayle
07-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks. I didn't get the clink on it feature. It went through So Cal in May. I will be all over this next year if they do it again.