PDA

View Full Version : Just replaced fuel filter and...

mbogosia
07-30-2005, 12:52 PM
the date stamped on it was 7/01! It was a BMW filter also. I have been looking through my stacks of service reciepts and couldn't find where this had been replaced so I figured I should do it for peace of mind. I am glad I did it. I wonder if I will get better MPG now? Probably won't. :(

Kalevera
07-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Mbo, the fuel filter doesn't *really* need to be replaced until driveability problems indicative of it being clogged up start appearing.

Higher MPG? Not likely unless the car was hesitating and otherwise acting up with the old one. Edit: having lower MPG from a clogged filter doesn't make any sense, either -- less fuel being delivered means, in theory, better MPG.

best, whit

ericcamaro
07-30-2005, 05:09 PM
just wondering if you could post some of the symptoms of a clogged fuel filter. thanks this will help me out a lot.

Kalevera
07-30-2005, 06:39 PM
just wondering if you could post some of the symptoms of a clogged fuel filter. thanks this will help me out a lot.
Lack of fuel pressure at the rail (no start/hard start issue), poor idle, hesitation, any other symptom associated with fuel delivery.

best, whit

2fast
07-30-2005, 07:51 PM
How does the car drive after the new filter?
When I changed mine it was made in 97!
My car felt so much better.
No diff in mileage.

mbogosia
07-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I got to thinking about it and realized it really won't change mpg. Oh well. I'm glad its done so it is one more thing I won't have to worry about. My oxygen sensor is at 87k miles so I might do that soon to knock it out. Spark plugs are also going to get done soon too.

mbogosia
07-30-2005, 07:54 PM
How does the car drive after the new filter?
When I changed mine it was made in 97!
My car felt so much better.
No diff in mileage.

I just drove it about 100 miles and it drove like a dream. Probably the placebo effect, but what can you do. As long as I feel its better is all that matters. I averaged 23.8mpg . Mix of highway and back roads.