PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help with decision on new Purchase

Johntee540
07-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Guys - I need some advice from the people I trust - here - on the bimmer board. (Also posted on Roadfly)

I need to purchase a wagon as a second car. The nanny has been driving the Landcruiser (at a cost of about $120/week) and I want some thing safe and more economical than 13/mpg to replace it.

I have found a 2000 528iT Sport Package with 92000 supposed highway miles. The asking is $17k or Best Offer. It does have the Xenon lights and Nav. Does anybody have any experience with the 528 engine and its longevity? What should I offer - the car is clean and looks like its pretty well taken care of. It is scheduled for mechanics review on Monday. I was thinking $15,500 as it is high mileage. Thoughts/Advice/ and comments are as always appreciated - JT
Johntee540

Kalevera
07-30-2005, 09:17 AM
I think 15.5 is a steal for the car if it's in good shape. But...demand for the wagons has gone down considerably since the introduction of the X.

Heck, can I be your nanny? I'd love to get paid to drive around in a 528, even if it entails carting children around :)

best, whit

Johntee540
07-30-2005, 09:29 AM
The car will eventually go the 16 year old. The gas on my Landcrusier (which I love) is killing me at $2.67 a gallon for premium. Whit - if you want to be my nanny that is totally cool with me. Come on out. She doesnt make much comparitive to the level of effort she has wiht the Boys! - JT

Rory535i
07-30-2005, 09:57 AM
sounds like a good deal to me! love the E39 tourings. can't believe you're complaining about paying $2.67 for a GALLON of premium. they pay that for a litre in the UK! :p

Kalevera
07-30-2005, 10:11 AM
sounds like a good deal to me! love the E39 tourings. can't believe you're complaining about paying $2.67 for a GALLON of premium. they pay that for a litre in the UK! :p
I'll suggest that it's much easier to get around in the UK. Shorter distances, better public transportation systems, less expensive options. In the land of suburbia, aka the US, you either need to be working and living in a very "convenient" place (in which case you pay $$$ for that convenience, ie a Manhattan grocery store) or you drive. I drive, and it costs me a fair bit of money to get back and forth to work every week, but the distance of my daily commute is, I think, fairly average.

So, to recap: I think UK drivers both use cars less and get penalized by the government, in the form of taxes, for owning and operating large cars. Oil companies like to make money and the government needs revenue, so that's how gas, which is in the below $1 area in other parts of the world, costs so much in GB and generally, in the rest of western Europe.

best, whit

Karl
07-30-2005, 11:26 AM
I drive a '91 525i, and haven't heard of any major issues with the M50 engines. Just replace the plastic impeller water pump and plastic thermostat housing. It has a timing chain instead of a belt like the M20, so there's one less maintenance issue.

bimmerd00d
07-30-2005, 03:13 PM
mom has a 2000 528i with 186k miles on it. Runs like it is brand new.

Zeuk in Oz
07-30-2005, 04:19 PM
my Landcrusier (which I love)
You need help my friend ! :D Have you ever driven your Landcruiser ???? My F250 is twice the car my Landcruiser ever was - overrated Japanese junk. (IMHO).
As a car for a young driver the 528iT might be a little powerful, but at least it has all the safety gear. Much better choice than the Landcruiser for a novice !

Zeuk in Oz
07-30-2005, 04:22 PM
my Landcrusier (which I love)
You need help my friend ! :D Have you ever driven your Landcruiser ???? My F250 is twice the car my Landcruiser ever was - overrated Japanese junk. (IMHO).
As a car for a young driver the 528iT might be a little powerful, but at least it has all the safety gear. Much better choice than the Landcruiser for a novice !
Only problem though is that he/she will be spoilt for life - will never want to drive a lesser vehicle. This is the problem I have had with my sons driving the E 34 - they think everything else they have driven is "crap" .
(Sorry, thought I was editing and ended up posting twice - just living up to the signature)

Johntee540
07-31-2005, 03:18 PM
It has to go through mechanics inspection but it looks and feels perfect. The guy I am buying it from just bought his wife a Cayenne. He has a Porsche 930 Turbo in the driveway and a 1974 2002 Tii in the garage he is just finishing up a rotisserie restoration on. I believe he is only slightly more anal about his cars than I am.

It is the 528iT with Steptronic; Xenon; CD; Phone; homelink; Nav; and the window shades. No kids in the car ever = no juicebox spills on the leather.

He was asking $17k - I was prepared to offer him $15.5 but after seeing it I offered $16k. We split the difference at $16.5 - Mechanics see it tomorrow but I think I got a good deal.

Can't wait to get it home.

Johntee540
07-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Well I have 2 years before he gets exposed to the "opportunity" to drive it.

The nanny however (Brazilian) is thrilled. She says when she drive the Cruiser she feels like she is threatening everyone in traffic. Apparently in Brazil she drives a (cough) Peugout.

And the cost savings in Fuel alone will pay for the car by twice.

My Land Cruiser is a wonderful driving Truck. Maybe here in suburbia we dont spend as much time off-road as you guys down under - but in my neighborhood - its a law that you have to own one. There are so many here you can lose yours in the parking lot of the grocery store.

Its funny you mention F250 - Fords in America are considered to be the "junk" we export! No wonder the rest of the world is upset with us! :)

Thanks for all the opinions and advice. Now I have 2 BMW's to fix and play with. - JT

Gayle
07-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Congrats on the new addition to the family. Few things more fun than a new car.

I beg to differ on the F series. Ford cars are junk, but the trucks are good. I love my 97 F150. It treats me well and people give me zero grief when I want to merge and people don't cut me off. The F-150 commands a different kind of respect.

And I know what you mean about its a law... Here the law says everyone must own a BMW.

Johntee540
07-31-2005, 05:29 PM
http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/gallery/index.php?path=35363,1;-12,1;

Here is a link to some pics - JT

Zeuk in Oz
07-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Fords in America are considered to be the "junk" we export!
Interesting to note that my F 250 is made in Brazil (your Nanny would approve perhaps) - as are all RHD F 250s, I believe.
My comments about my 100 series Landcruiser actually referred to its driveability on the road - I call it bump steer ! What a shock it was after driving Range Rovers for 12 years.
Also interesting to note that Australia and NZ are (I think) the only 2 countries in the world where new Landcruisers do not come with side airbags, vehicle stability control or brake assist. Another example of what it is like living in a 3rd world country in so far as economics are concerned.
Don't get me wrong - wouldn't want to live anywhere else - and I had a choice !

Zeuk in Oz
07-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Lovely !
The 528i / 530i are the pick of the E 39 IMHO.
Sounds like you bought it from the right person !

Gayle
07-31-2005, 05:54 PM
http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/gallery/index.php?path=35363,1;-12,1;

Here is a link to some pics - JT

Good looking interior. Was it loaded when the pics were taken? The rear seems lower than the front. Do I see modifications on the horizon?

Johntee540
07-31-2005, 06:01 PM
So much for my lame attempt at humor!

I thought Ford Trucks were made in Alabama?

JT

Johntee540
07-31-2005, 06:04 PM
It has the self leveling suspension on the rear. It had been sitting for awhile. Once you start it up it sits level. - No Mods on the nanny car! Maybe a little Window Tint but thats about the total. - Jt

DueyT
07-31-2005, 10:33 PM
John, v.nice ride...very clean and shart looking...will you get a horse-c*ck to tow things with it? :D

Cheers,
Duey

TheGeak
07-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Not a bad lookin' car...and what a nice price!

brodee
08-01-2005, 09:35 AM
No Mods on the nanny car! Maybe a little Window Tint but thats about the total. - Jt

You HAVE to put some wheels on it. Maybe just some M-Par reps. They look great on white tourings ;)

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/525iT/After%20Springs/normal_PICT3498.JPG

TheGeak
08-01-2005, 12:16 PM
LOL, first the wheels, then a chip, then some suspension...it'll all go downhill, soon you'll have the hottest nanny-mobile east of the Mississippi

Johntee540
08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
okay maybe some wheels - but thats where it stops..... really I mean it. well maybe an exhaust and some DDE. But after that nothing else! :) - JT