PDA

View Full Version : Car Fuel Saver - Where does this go in my 530i?

EonPeon
07-30-2005, 02:09 AM
Hi,

I'm seriously considering buying one (or two) of those super fuel savers. They're basically incredibly strong magnets placed over the fuel line and they help to ionize the hydrocarbon molecules.

The result is a much cleaner burn, and improved fuel economy - up to 30%!

Amazingly, the British army fitted these to all their vehicles during the Second World War to get increased fuel economy. I've never understood why they've not really been seen around much since...

I found this one on eBay:-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=4563993644&Category=43807

Can anyone tell me:-

1) Has anyone else tried one on their BMW?
2) What was the result?
3) Where would I fit one on my 530i?

I'm going to track my fuel usage WITHOUT a fuel saver for the next month or so (my OBC gives me the fuel consumption numbers). Then I plan to fit TWO of these in-line (if someone would help me identify the best place to fit them - I'm not much of a mechanic!).

I'll report my findings back on here for all to see!

Who would like to know more?

Best regards,

Ian

Tcdoe
07-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Hi Ian,

I believe this has been discussed to death and the conclusion is that they don't work.
You're better off saving that $30 for an EAT chip.

Scott C
07-30-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi,

I'm seriously considering buying one (or two) of those super fuel savers. They're basically incredibly strong magnets placed over the fuel line and they help to ionize the hydrocarbon molecules.
Ian

I highly suspect that if these worked (even at .5%) then the auto manufacturers would have included them (low cost) because THEY need to meet Corp Avg Fuel Econ. in the states.

So you could tie them around your wrist where they would cure cancer? (na...) Or get the EAT chip if you want better drivability!!!!

pundit
07-30-2005, 04:07 AM
Hi,

The result is a much cleaner burn, and improved fuel economy - up to 30%!

Amazingly, the British army fitted these to all their vehicles during the Second World War to get increased fuel economy. I've never understood why they've not really been seen around much since...

I found this one on eBay:-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=4563993644&Category=43807

Can anyone tell me:-

1) Has anyone else tried one on their BMW?
2) What was the result?
3) Where would I fit one on my 530i?

I'm going to track my fuel usage WITHOUT a fuel saver for the next month or so (my OBC gives me the fuel consumption numbers). Then I plan to fit TWO of these in-line (if someone would help me identify the best place to fit them - I'm not much of a mechanic!).

I'll report my findings back on here for all to see!

Who would like to know more?

Best regards,

Ian

1. Take the left eye of a newt
2. Take the ground hoof of a wildebeaste
3. Take three five day old toucan eggs
4. Mix the above together in a bowl until a creamy consistancy
5. Rub the mixture onto the back of your neck in an anti-clockwise direction while facing east and chanting..."iamanidiotforeventhinkingthisisgoingtowork"

When done check your mileage. :p

Sorry about that but that's what these 'Too good to be true' devices are.
This device is in the same league as the 'Energy Polarizer' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Brock) that ended Peter Brock's relationship with GMH.

These fraudsters warp physics and chemistry in order to make their victims believe in anything from perpetual motion to time travel.

Save the money you would have wasted on this and buy yourself an EAT chip! ;)

brodee
07-30-2005, 04:33 AM
I highly suspect that if these worked (even at .5%) then the auto manufacturers would have included them (low cost) because THEY need to meet Corp Avg Fuel Econ. in the states.

Exactly! My Grandfather used to have these on his '34 Ford Sedan and swore they made it get better mileage. They have been around that long, if it worked the manufactureres would already have them installed.

pundit
07-30-2005, 04:39 AM
Exactly! My Grandfather used to have these on his '34 Ford Sedan and swore they made it get better mileage. They have been around that long, if it worked the manufactureres would already have them installed.
As you & Scott.C have stated; If something is that good why isn't it fitted to every vehicle on the road today?

pundit
07-30-2005, 04:54 AM
Basically just read this...

http://www.fuelsaving.info/magnets.htm

...after which I suggest scanning the horizon for wildebeaste! :)

632 Regal
07-30-2005, 05:33 AM
I installed mine in the trunk in the small plastic container on the right side.

pundit
07-30-2005, 05:40 AM
I installed mine in the trunk in the small plastic container on the right side.
Hmmm... I was kinda wondering how I'd fit a wildebeaste in my trunk?
Does it stink when it drops a poop?
Maybe you could capture the methane, compress it and use like nitrous for some extra HP.
Now there's a marketing idea!

Want a 30% increase in power & mileage?
Then you need Wildebeaste Poop!
Guaranteed and eco friendly... well almost!
Just $29.95 for a 10lb bag.
:D

SharkmanBMW
07-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Hmmm... I was kinda wondering how I'd fit a wildebeaste in my trunk?
Does it stink when it drops a poop?
Maybe you could capture the methane, compress it and use like nitrous for some extra HP.
Now there's a marketing idea!

Want a 30% increase in power & mileage?
Then you need Wildebeaste Poop!
Guaranteed and eco friendly... well almost!
Just $29.95 for a 10lb bag.
:D

lol good one!
I will buy a ton !

632 Regal
07-30-2005, 11:36 AM
poor Ian, he will probably change his ID now and start all over as a nube...LOL

pundit
07-30-2005, 02:11 PM
poor Ian, he will probably change his ID now and start all over as a nube...LOL
No don't do that Ian!
My 'Witches Brew' post was just to highlight how easy it is to get sucked in by claims that just don't stand up when scrutinised. This guy selling these things on Ebay doesn't look like a regular shyster himself, he appears to be selling many other products (DVD players etc) with mainly good feedback. It looks like he's obtained a one off batch of 60 of these critters (maybe he got sucked in himself) and is just using the standard adverstising blurb in order to try and shift them. ;)

BTW - It might be interesting to see how his feedback posts are after he shifts a bunch of these. Somehow I think his good record might be in for a bit of a hammering! ;)

EonPeon
07-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. The witches brew was particularly helpful.

Seriously though, I did read years ago that the British army used them in the war. While on the face of it, it does sound like snake oil - I figured if the army used them then perhaps there really is something more to it.

Apparently, Volkswagen install them in one of their new models too.

I could go on about conspiracy theories by government agencies to debunk these things so they can make more tax dollars through fuel revenues, and since the Bush family now pretty much owns the world fuel supplies, why would they want to see a 30% drop etc etc...

With those things in mind, I don't feel especially dumb for asking that question.

Jesus! People paint V12s on the hoods of their straight-sixes around here! How much dumber do you want?

Ian

Zeuk in Oz
07-30-2005, 04:08 PM
While you are fitting it, fit water injection as well ! :p
Or swap to an M20 ! :D
Seriously though, tune the engine and drive more smoothly, otherwise pay the few cents extra and enjoy yourself - life is short !

pundit
07-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. The witches brew was particularly helpful.

Seriously though, I did read years ago that the British army used them in the war. While on the face of it, it does sound like snake oil - I figured if the army used them then perhaps there really is something more to it.

Apparently, Volkswagen install them in one of their new models too.

I could go on about conspiracy theories by government agencies to debunk these things so they can make more tax dollars through fuel revenues, and since the Bush family now pretty much owns the world fuel supplies, why would they want to see a 30% drop etc etc...

With those things in mind, I don't feel especially dumb for asking that question.

Jesus! People paint V12s on the hoods of their straight-sixes around here! How much dumber do you want?

Ian

From the link I included in a previous post...

"...Another "famous" magnetic fuel "saving" device is the FuelMAX / Super FuelMAX. The makers and sellers of this device were recently taken to court by the US Federal Trade Comission, and banned from claiming significant economy or emissions benefits. Read the FTC press release (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/05/fuel.htm) for full details.

Interestingly, certain makers of both magnet and catalyst-based fuel "saving" devices claim that they were used by the RAF during World War 2. Amazing that the British armed forces should have found not one, but two, miraculous fuel-saving devices; even more amazing that they have apparently now "lost" both of them. (Since getting fuel to the front line is a major logistical problem, the armed forces are more interested in fuel consumption than you might think.) A sceptic might wonder how much truth there is in either claim.

On a related note, ask yourself why such magnets are not fitted as standard on aircraft. Since fuel is a very high proportion of an airline's running costs, you would think they would jump at the chance to save 10%+ on fuel consumption just by adding a relatively cheap magnet round the fuel line. Magnetic fuel "saving" devices typically claim to work on petrol engines, diesel engines and gas boilers, so why should they not work on jet engines?..."

mattyb
07-30-2005, 05:52 PM
hey pundit, easy on the polarizer mate. i fitted one to my toaster. my toast now has 30 percent more karma. maybe i should put a fuel saver on the mocrowave?

Mobius
07-30-2005, 07:50 PM
I could go on about conspiracy theories by government agencies to debunk these things so they can make more tax dollars through fuel revenues, and since the Bush family now pretty much owns the world fuel supplies, why would they want to see a 30% drop etc etc...Wow. If you believe that, I guess it's not much of a stretch to believe a magnet could solve the world's fuel problems (or, 30% of the problems, anyways).

Gayle
07-31-2005, 12:05 AM
Are these examples of the world famous wicked Aussie sense of humor? You guys are cold. I plan to put my armor on before I ask my next dumb question.

brodee
07-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Are these examples of the world famous wicked Aussie sense of humor? You guys are cold. I plan to put my armor on before I ask my next dumb question.

Those OEM Parallels are robbing you of power too. Take them off immediately and send them to me for disposal :D

pundit
07-31-2005, 02:50 AM
:) :D :p Okay. We're ready! Ask away!

BTW - Aussies are generally known for their rather active ******** detectors.
If it smells like ********, it usually is! Though is this case it wasn't Ian's fault at all. It's just that the battery in Ian's B.S. detector was dead while he was looking on Ebay...

Speaking of which I have some genuine Aussie ******** Detectors for sale.
Just $49.95 including a built in solar recharger so your battery will never go dead. I'm taking orders now so don't hesitate, after all I wouldn't B.S. you... would I? :D

Paul in NZ
07-31-2005, 03:02 AM
You guys spin so much ******** you recognize other peoples ******** immediately :p....and its true,those throwings stars increase your fuel consumption.
If you fit those magnets to the rim of the throwings stars instead of balancing weights you can use the resulting magnetic feilds to help recharge your battery thus saving some fuel because of decreased drag from your alternator.

pundit
07-31-2005, 03:32 AM
You guys spin so much ******** you recognize other peoples ******** immediately :p....and its true,those throwings stars increase your fuel consumption.
If you fit those magnets to the rim of the throwings stars instead of balancing weights you can use the resulting magnetic feilds to help recharge your battery thus saving some fuel because of decreased drag from your alternator.
That's funny I just sold some of those on Ebay last week! :p