PDA

View Full Version : Can ACS+t be turned off?

BimmerKid
02-25-2004, 03:03 PM
title says it all

thanks,

Sal

Unregistered
02-25-2004, 03:06 PM
just push the button

Scott H
02-25-2004, 03:07 PM
nt

Russell
02-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Does this permanently disable the ASC+T until you "turn it on" again via the switch? If so, this is new

nt

Scott H
02-25-2004, 03:33 PM
on the newer cars...........at least it seemed to work that way on my buddy's 95 540ia. Hold button down for 10 seconds, light flashes, then ASC is of until you restart the car (reboot the computer)

G Feller
02-25-2004, 04:03 PM
I have a '95 540 with ASC and just went out for a spin on a rainy day here in Atlanta to get to the bottom of this. The manual for my car says nothing about the 10-second thingy.

Your explanation didn't make sense to me, because the system is turned off (or on) instantly with a simple click of the button - no need to hold for 10 seconds. So I was curious about what the point would be of a "hard" turnoff where you can't turn it back on again without restarting the car (especially since it always defaults to being on when you the car is started).

Sure enough, when I held the button in, the ASC light went out after 10 seconds and I could no longer turn it on and off by clicking the button.

While driving, however, I noted that the light still flashed on and off and that power to the wheels was cut when I lost traction. In other words, traction control was "on." So my report is that when you hold the ASC button in for 10 seconds, the system is locked in the ON position (not the OFF position) until the car is restarted.

I'm guessing this is some sort of safety feature? Maybe to protect against little button-pushing fingers? Doesn't quite add up though - I would be very interested to uncover the logic behind it. The system is on when you start the car, you can turn it on and off at will by clicking the switch, yet there is a way to lock the system on for as long as the car is on?

Wassup with that?

on the newer cars...........at least it seemed to work that way on my buddy's 95 540ia. Hold button down for 10 seconds, light flashes, then ASC is of until you restart the car (reboot the computer)

Phil M
02-25-2004, 05:55 PM
I have a '95 540 with ASC and just went out for a spin on a rainy day here in Atlanta to get to the bottom of this. The manual for my car says nothing about the 10-second thingy.

Your explanation didn't make sense to me, because the system is turned off (or on) instantly with a simple click of the button - no need to hold for 10 seconds. So I was curious about what the point would be of a "hard" turnoff where you can't turn it back on again without restarting the car (especially since it always defaults to being on when you the car is started).

Sure enough, when I held the button in, the ASC light went out after 10 seconds and I could no longer turn it on and off by clicking the button.

While driving, however, I noted that the light still flashed on and off and that power to the wheels was cut when I lost traction. In other words, traction control was "on." So my report is that when you hold the ASC button in for 10 seconds, the system is locked in the ON position (not the OFF position) until the car is restarted.

I'm guessing this is some sort of safety feature? Maybe to protect against little button-pushing fingers? Doesn't quite add up though - I would be very interested to uncover the logic behind it. The system is on when you start the car, you can turn it on and off at will by clicking the switch, yet there is a way to lock the system on for as long as the car is on?

Wassup with that?

David Chen
02-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Heated mirrors automatically activate when the outside temperature is below 37.5F

The 10 sec ASC+T button hold down feature disables the automatic application of brakes to reduce wheelspin.

Russell
02-26-2004, 07:25 AM
So other aspects of Asc+t work (such as engine power reduction)with the 10 sec hold down activated? Why did they do this and not state in manual?

Heated mirrors automatically activate when the outside temperature is below 37.5F

The 10 sec ASC+T button hold down feature disables the automatic application of brakes to reduce wheelspin.

Bill R.
02-26-2004, 09:27 AM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Mirrorheat-1.jpg

George M
02-26-2004, 09:56 AM
just have to say I thank my lucky stars that I don't have either ASC or EDC...both have a bad benefit to reliablity ratio based upon everything I know about each.
That said, would someone kick the gas price thread back to the top of the page where it belongs?
;-)
George

Russell
02-26-2004, 11:29 AM
It makes my car much more drivable/safer in foul weather, especially ice and snow. Itis one of the reasons I bought this paticular car.

My older e28 was a handful even on wet streets. I hated to drive the e28 in ice and snow. That said, I expect a significant expense to replace major components of the abs and/or asc+t system.

just have to say I thank my lucky stars that I don't have either ASC or EDC...both have a bad benefit to reliablity ratio based upon everything I know about each.
That said, would someone kick the gas price thread back to the top of the page where it belongs?
;-)
George