PDA

View Full Version : Trip Meter Resetting

IN10CT
07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
The trip meter is resetting everytime my car is restarted. Is this a setting that I can undo or is there a problem in the electrical system?

Cheers,

1989 535i
5spd
240,000km

Rory535i
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
i have the same problem; well similar. sometimes it'll reset itself and then sometimes i can go for weeks without it happening. i never figured out what it was so i've just learnt to live with it.

Gene in NC
07-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Have two '89 525s. One resets like yours and one operates
correctly.

632 Regal
07-29-2005, 06:46 PM
i think that is one symptom of a leaky capacitor

Tcdoe
07-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Mine won't reset at all.

uscharalph
07-29-2005, 11:21 PM
It works great on my '89, but the PO replaced a lot of the instrument cluster and displays. Lucky for me.

Bill R.
07-30-2005, 10:27 AM
replace them fairly cheaply. The caps tend to act as batteries retaining the memory for the trip odometer in the dash cluster, when they go bad the memory won't stay when the key is off. Another symptom of the dash cluster caps is when you first start the car and hit the brake pedal the warning bong will sometimes go off until you raise the rpm a little and generate enough power for the dash, and your gauges will sometimes fluctuate and give weird readings
Bruno has some info at his site her (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Capacitors.htm)e

The trip meter is resetting everytime my car is restarted. Is this a setting that I can undo or is there a problem in the electrical system?

Cheers,

1989 535i
5spd
240,000km

SRR2
07-30-2005, 10:45 AM
The caps don't act as batteries. The trip odo is stored in solid state memory and requires battery power to retain. Disconnect the battery and the memory is dumped. The caps in question are used in a switching power supply that powers various parts of the cluster. When they go bad the power gets very 'dirty' and the circuitry that uses it may or may not work correctly.

Just a couple of months ago I replaced every electrolytic cap in the cluster in my '89. Not only did all the cluster gremlins go away, but .... seriously, I'm not making this up and my wife can verify it ... the radio reception got a WHOLE lot better. The only explanation I have for this is that the cluster must have been emitting a lot of hash due to the bad caps and noise on the long traces (think antenna) on the board, and that was interfering with AM reception.

When you have the cluster out you should replace the high-usage lamps, like the odo, check-control, and auto-trans annunciator if you have one of those. In my cluster the odo lamp was so degraded with tungsten deposits on the glass that it was barely readable. The difference with a new lamp was amazing. BTW, not all those lamps are created equal. I bought a bunch of them and screened them by cold resistance. I put the lowest-resistance one in the odo. It's nice and bright now.

Bill R.
07-30-2005, 12:58 PM
the trip odometer is stored in volatile memory and the main odometer is stored in 2 places in an eeprom. The volatile memory is sensitive to voltage changes and that the voltage drop while cranking is enough to wipe it out. The caps stored enough power to ensure that these momentary drops didn't affect the volatile memory, that the caps took the place of the nicad batteries that were originally used for the si board on the earlier cars.
I don't claim to be an EE and this is what i was told in the past, made sense to me.

The caps don't act as batteries. The trip odo is stored in solid state memory and requires battery power to retain. Disconnect the battery and the memory is dumped. The caps in question are used in a switching power supply that powers various parts of the cluster. When they go bad the power gets very 'dirty' and the circuitry that uses it may or may not work correctly.

Just a couple of months ago I replaced every electrolytic cap in the cluster in my '89. Not only did all the cluster gremlins go away, but .... seriously, I'm not making this up and my wife can verify it ... the radio reception got a WHOLE lot better. The only explanation I have for this is that the cluster must have been emitting a lot of hash due to the bad caps and noise on the long traces (think antenna) on the board, and that was interfering with AM reception.

When you have the cluster out you should replace the high-usage lamps, like the odo, check-control, and auto-trans annunciator if you have one of those. In my cluster the odo lamp was so degraded with tungsten deposits on the glass that it was barely readable. The difference with a new lamp was amazing. BTW, not all those lamps are created equal. I bought a bunch of them and screened them by cold resistance. I put the lowest-resistance one in the odo. It's nice and bright now.

SRR2
07-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Your explanation is close but not quite right. The problem is that when these caps go bad the switching regulator can't work correctly. The regulator itself becomes more sensitive to incoming battery voltage. Thus, when the regulator is working correctly it can supply the required 5V to the RAM with incoming voltage as low as ~8V or so. When it's not working right due to the bad caps its ability to deal with reduced voltage is essentially nonexistent. While it's true that caps in a sense can act as 'batteries', in this case all they're being asked to do is to be a battery for a few tens of microseconds. The design of the cluster never anticipated that they'd have to hold up the RAM for more than that.

NVRAM took the place of the NiCds in the old SI board.

And I do have an EE degree, btw.